Potential Changes for Bilbo's Birthday Bash

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Potential Changes for Bilbo's Birthday Bash

Postby BrentS » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:01 pm

After coming off the successful Good vs Evil format used that the Gathering in the Desert this year, I'm thinking very strongly of moving Bilbo's Birthday Bash back to its original format of each player bringing both a Good and an Evil army and splitting their games with each army. Thematically, LOTR plays so much better when you are matching up Good and evil armies.

So I'm opening a thread to solicit opinions and feedback regarding BBB. Ultimately the decision is mine and I'm going to decide what I think is best for the event but I would like to see what people think.

My gut reaction is that we'd change the format to accomodate 6 games over 2 days and you'd play 3 games with each of a Good and Evil army. Considering the logisitics, I'm thinking that the times alloted for the games may need to shorten to 2 hours per round so I may also consider a 500pt army limit. However, with the warbands style gaming and the ending conditions based typically on breaking an army, I'm not yet convinced that a 600pt match couldn't be finished in most cases in 2 hours as well.

So, having said that, I'd love to hear what you think regarding this particular format change? Are you in favor of it? Would requiring two armies be a deal breaker for you attending? How do you feel about 500 vs 600 points in a 2 hour round?

Thanks for your feedback!
BrentS

Re: Potential Changes for Bilbo's Birthday Bash

Postby Lordgoober » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:09 pm

I think we would need to do some playtesting to see how it works 500 vs 600 for time issues. That being said, I'd be perfectly willing to bring both good and evil along for this. Especially since I now actually HAVE painted armies from both good and evil ^_^
Lordgoober

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Six hundred point forces using the warbands rules means smaller forces already. You cut the points to 500 points and you condemn dwarves to oblivion. The scenarios in play at most tournaments already abuse them but regulating them to twenty four models is their deathnell.

In LOME expensive forces could get away with only one hero, but not anymore.

I like the good versus format proposal.
Smeagol

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:08 pm

I actually love the idea. I was going to propose that maybe for Adepticon and the team tournament. Wasn't the first team tournament 1 good and 1 evil army? I have only played a few games but I do think at 600 points 2 hours should be plenty of time. Deployement in the new scenarios leeads to H2H earlier in the game than the old way. I think its a quicker game.

I do agree with Tim that some of the good forces are hindered a bit with the new army composition, at 500 points I think that would make it even more relevant and weaken the forces of good. This is speculation on my part, I haven't looked at writing lists for 500 points.

I do need an excuse to build and paint an evil army ---
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:I do need an excuse to build and paint an evil army ---

I'm working on getting Good forces painted so I can finally do both.
Smeagol

Postby old coast » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:16 pm

I think 2 armies at 600 points is going to knock your attendance down by 50%..maybe I'm wrong...I'd love to see those all painted models...
you might want to poll all of last years participants and see what they think...I'm in either way...I love the format...
old coast

Postby prion2001 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:41 pm

I can do both so personally it wouldn't change my attendance. I'm guessing the same is true for a lot of the past attendees (i.e. veterans). My only concern is about new players. I have a feeling, based on just the few people I've seen pluncking down cash on a book and some warbands, that we may see new blood. Will having to prepare two, 600 point forces put them off? Not sure but that would be the only issue I would see.

My personal take on blue vs. blue is it happens all the time in the other systems and has never been much of an issue. But maybe LotR SBG is different and needs the good vs. evil? I'm seeing and hearing this a bit in FOW. Sounds like tournament regulars are looking for more allies vs. axis and even restrictions to specific theatres (i.e. not just late war which is vast). Sounds like they think it's more fair and balanced.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby ChrisLS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Though the chances of me attending BBB are pretty much nil (as much as I'd like to!), I'd totally be down with bringing two armies. Let's face it, most of the traveling guys all have Good and Evil armies and if nothing else could run one they already used. As for locals, that is something you'd need to figure out from them. I like the idea of going Good v. Evil for all of the events on the circuit.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby BrentS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 pm

I do suspect that the overall numbers for the event could drop. However, in the end, what matters more to me is a fun tournament experience compared to just sheer numbers. I've already recruited some help this year to run the event (thanks acepilot) so looking to expand beyond the typical 5 games with blue on blue possibilities sounds very appealing to me this year.

I'm going to send an email around to the players that attended last year that don't regularly check the forums to get some more ideas.

My goal is to have BBB open and ready for registrration by the time Adepticon roles around. Adepticon and BBB are perfect companion events spaced about 6 months apart and both can build off the momemtum of the other.

So I'm leaning towards 6 games (2 hour rounds) using 600 pt good v evil armies. I'm still willing to listen to opinions though.
BrentS

Postby Smeagol » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 pm

BrentS wrote:So I'm leaning towards 6 games (2 hour rounds) using 600 pt good v evil armies. I'm still willing to listen to opinions though.

Nah, that's perfect. Stop istening already. :P
Smeagol

Postby acepilot12 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I really like the idea of having people bring both good and evil in the six game format. I think that we will lose some players, but I think that the people that do play will enjoy the format. I am glad to be helping Brent with this event. I have already worked out the best way to make match ups. Using the plan I have, only 1/6 of the field will be absolutely unplayable for a person, because players will switch good and evil in groups. That was one issue that some people had at GitD was having a limited opponent selection, but by having people switching good and evil at different times eliminates as much of that problem as possible. Brent and I just need to work on everything else.
acepilot12

Postby Lordgoober » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:24 pm

600 good vs evil works just fine for me. I've already got my evil planned and working fairly well at the 600 level though there might be a couple tweaks as the time goes. Good will probably be some form of Dwarves I would think.
Lordgoober

Postby prion2001 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:34 pm

BrentS wrote:However, in the end, what matters more to me is a fun tournament experience compared to just sheer numbers.

That is all you had to say. I agree, I would rather see an event that is fun (and for the organizer) then it be balanced to appeal to all comers. I have both forces but this could prompt me to build compatible good vs. evil for theme and appearance. :shock:
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Lordgoober » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 pm

ooh., like a 600 point Corsairs list for Evil and a corresponding 600 point Fiefdoms force for good. Thanks for the idea Jamie ;)
Lordgoober

Postby BrentS » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:10 pm

prion2001 wrote: I have both forces but this could prompt me to build compatible good vs. evil for theme and appearance.

I'm contemplating bonus theming points for well themed good and evil armies.
BrentS

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News