LOTR at the bunker Monday nights.

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

LOTR at the bunker Monday nights.

Postby Yakthor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:06 am

The bunker calendar lists Monday night as a LOTR night. As my schedule is pretty open on Monday nights I plan on making it there to at least assemble and paint miniatures if no one else is around to play. I should make it there between 6 and 7 staying until they close at 9 each Monday. (Maybe not President's day, I will post later on that when I know).

Last week there were a couple of people there learning to play the game with 350 point lists. Hopefully if myself or someone esle is there with LOTR miniatures on a regular basis it will help get some new people playing. Also, hopefully, I won't steer them too wrong on rules/tactics questions.

So if your looking for a game on Monday night, or fear the damage I will do to new players understanding of the rules, drop in.
Yakthor

Re: LOTR at the bunker Monday nights.

Postby Smeagol » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:34 am

The rules are easy, just show them which pages to find them on. Pointing to this forum wouldn't hurt either as that will give Jamie and company an easier method to share event information with thm and they have all of us know it all's to ask questions of.
Smeagol

Postby Lordgoober » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 am

I can't be there tomorrow but if I get the job I'm hving a second interview on tuesday for, the bunker is on my way home and I coukld prob play monday nights.
Lordgoober

Postby Yakthor » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:54 pm

I will not be making it to the bunker tonight, but should be there next Monday as usual.
Yakthor

Postby valdric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 pm

what time do you guys usually start playing? I'm new to the game, but I'd like to get some games in next Monday
valdric

Postby Yakthor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:35 pm

I usually make it there around 6:30 and stay til close. Generally there aren't many people there for LOTR, so I just work on cleaning/assembling/painting models.

I'd love to get a game or two in if you can make it. If you want to post a point total I'll put together a list or two at that level. I usually run some combination of Easterlings and Mordor. I really haven't decided on a core to my force under the new list building rules so I'm playing around with a bunch of combinations.

I'm actually hoping to (finally) have my Khamul on Fellbeast and/or Gulavhar models into the painting stage this weekend, so I wouldn't be surprised if I tried to fit one of them into a list.
Yakthor

Postby BostonNazgul » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:41 pm

i might be able to make it this monday, will let you know when I get my schedule for next week
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Yakthor wrote:
I'd love to get a game or two in if you can make it. If you want to post a point total I'll put together a list or two at that level. I usually run some combination of Easterlings and Mordor.

We will have to get you going on a good army too so you'll be ready for BBB (sorry to pull this thread off track).
BrentS

Postby Yakthor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:12 pm

No worries, I have a variety of Rohan, Gondor, and Elves sitting in boxes that need to be gotten to. I'm thinking in a week or two I'll have settled on my Eastern Kingdoms list and then I'll put together a Good army that looks fairly evenly matched against it. That way I can field both sides if people show without an army and wanted to learn/practice.

I'm kind of thinking I want to paint the Elves, but either Rohan or Gondor is probably a better matchup for my Eastern Kingdoms army. Once I settle on a list I'll post it under army lists with potential opposing lists to look for feedback.
Yakthor

Postby knight of Gondor » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I should be there on Monday as well. I will be on break and at home for the week.
From the darkness a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king
knight of Gondor

Postby Yakthor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:32 pm

I had a fun game at the bunker last night. Met someone named Travis that I haven't seen before. Although he doesn't post on here, he and 3 or 4 others usually have been playing at Redtop GW on Sundays since the new books were released.

I'm going to have to try to make it there on a Sunday to take a look. It's a bit of a drive for me and this Sunday is the Games Plus auction, so I'll probably be at G+. Maybe next weekend.

Sadly, neither my Khamul on Fellbeast nor my Gulavhar saw any paint, so are not ready for the table. I need to get going on my painting as Adepticon is like 44 days away and I haven't even settled on an army list yet!
Yakthor

Postby BrentS » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Yakthor wrote:I had a fun game at the bunker last night. Met someone named Travis that I haven't seen before. Although he doesn't post on here, he and 3 or 4 others usually have been playing at Redtop GW on Sundays since the new books were released.

I'm going to have to try to make it there on a Sunday to take a look. It's a bit of a drive for me and this Sunday is the Games Plus auction, so I'll probably be at G+. Maybe next weekend.

Redtop is the closest GW store for me... its only about 20 minutes from my house. I really like their store manager as well. I know I've seen Josh L there before and Raymond (who has attended BBB) plays at that store. I didn't realize there was a larger following these days. I really should make an effort to find some time and get a game in there.
BrentS

Postby Yakthor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:34 pm

I had a great game against Chad tonight at the bunker. Unfortunately, I was foolishly overaggressive and lost Khamul on Fellbeast by hanging him out to dry, by himself, getting charged, by Shagrat, Shelob, and a dozen or so Furied Orcs. He didn't last long.

At that point, I should have pulled back and consolidated the rest of my troops, but my last warband was slow to take the field, and I continued my trend of foolishly overaggressive.

Luckily, I made a huge discovery in this game. Easterling warriors are highly skilled with their shields. Swords, not so much. Between the uncanny luck when shielding preserving my troops and winning every contested heroic move rolloff I was able to allow Amdur and my cav to wittle his orcs down a bit and extend the game.

The scenario was Reconnoitre, and we ended up with 1 VP to him for wounding Amdur, and 0 to me, for a close loss.

The game also highlighted to me how important it is to get off my butt and get more of my armies painted. His side of the table looked tons better than mine. Maybe by next Monday night I'll have enough assembled and primered that I can just concentrate on painting. Unless, of course, someone wants to get a game in.
Yakthor

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:23 am

Yes, that was a fun game and not an easy one given our two armies. Whenever I play LOTR, I'm always reminded why I enjoy it so much. Next Monday I'll bring some of my Osgiliath buildings so we can really get some enjoyment out of the game.

It was very aggravating to lose every roll of dice when determining who won on equal fight skill rolls and whatnot. I normally don't have a lot of luck with dice. Oh well. See you Monday.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 am

I'm going to make sure I get out there next Monday for sure so I can try to get at least ONE game in with the 350 I'm using as part of the Team Tournament though if I rechecked what my partner is using I could probably field all of the force we're using unless someone wants to come out tonight.
Lordgoober

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News