List Decision for Adepticon 2012

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

List Decision for Adepticon 2012

Postby prion2001 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:05 am

Hello Adepticon LotR Players:
After much soul searching, feedback from almost every registered and waitlisted player and hours of emails and calls with the tournament organizers and Adepticon organizers we have reached a decision about the new books and Adepticon. If you care to see my reasoning and thought processes please see below.

For Adepticon 2012 events (Championship and Team Tournaments) we will allow players to use EITHER the new books or Legions to build their forces. The rules packets will be updated to reflect the use of either the existing Legions (and all OOP army books and White Dwarf lists) OR the new army books. You must choose one list source and follow ALL the rules, stats, etc associate with that list. You will be forced to indicate this choice on all army list submissions prior to and during the event. You must also have any books and rules for your army available during the tournament for your opponent to check if needed. No rules, points, scenarios, etc, will be changed to deal with the new army books directly. In other words, the only real change is to how list building is done.

The explanation:
Is this a perfect solution? Hell no! But, in my mind this allows EVERYONE to play and forces no one change a list already purchased, built, painted, etc. At the same time it allows those wishing to dive into the new lists and models that chance if they so wish. In the end, I did not want to exclude people, force them to do more work in potentially limited time, or alienate new players (and old) eager to use the new system for the first time at a tournament event.

What about balance I hear you say? Well, in a perfect world GW would have done this for us, given us plenty of time to analyze the parts they missed, etc. We all know that did not happen (and to some extent the timing was just bad with no fault on GW for that). As an organizer I decided I could not miss the chance to be the first to try these out and capture the excitement they have already generated among old and new players. Does that mean we are, in a sense, the Guinea Pigs? Maybe, but I think we are all big enough to try these first hand, provide productive feedback afterwards, and help the community and other events prepare for this new change. It also means there could be issues of two different lists and/or stats going head to head. We will try and FAQ what we can and the rest we will deal with as it arises. It may not be perfect but I not only put the responsibility for a good, fun event on myself as an organizer, I put that on YOU the players. In the end, this event could not exist without YOU and I ask for your patience and understanding as we struggle together through this new era of LotR SBG tournament gaming. There may be unexpected issues and yes, someone could find a way to exploit this decision for their own ends. I don’t know what that would be and I won’t lose sleep trying to prevent every misuse of the rules and/or lists. If you want to use this as your chance to power game, then that is on YOU. In some ways, this has been true for years on the Circuit under Legions. We’ve had questions, FAQs, debates about terrain, scenarios, scoring. And we are still here and loving this game. So, really, we just have to go through a lot of that AGAIN. :roll:

What I will promise is the Adepticon events will be FUN. We will work to make them as balanced as we can given the impossible position we have been put in by this release at this time. But one thing that won’t change is, you will have fun. You’re going to get the BEST swag bag of any convention you would ever attend. You will get a chance at winning a one of a kind, autographed LotR figurine (if you made the pre-reg date for this, I think most did). You’ll get the LotR themed event swag you have come to expect from years past. AND you will spend 1-2 days playing LotR SBG with some of the greatest players (in skill, hobby and personality) you could ever want to be across a gaming table from.
I want to end my explanation with a couple of notes of thanks and one parting thought. This decision was ultimately MINE so you can direct all hate mail to my email (prion2001@yahoo.com) or PM. :shock: Tim and Jeremy, who are running the Championships, were very supportive of me and willing to follow my lead and I thank them for that trust. So, don’t throw them under the bus, they were just supporting my final decision. I also want to say thank you to EVERY player who responded to my email. The opinions certainly varied but I appreciated hearing from actual attendees. I wish there was a simple solution that pleased everyone but know that every comment was given consideration and thought.

Finally, listening to Matt Weeks, one of Adepticon’s founders, who gave an interview for 40k radio a few months ago (I’m behind on my podcasts for some reason!) I was reminded of why I keep running LotR at Adepticon. In 2007, a tiny group of dedicated LotR players attended the first LotR Team Tournament in the outdoor Fantasy Battle tent. Some of those pioneers met online here at the AWC forums and had NEVER played together before. What started as an attempt, by me, to get more people playing so I MYSELF could play (selfish I know!) has become something more for me. In the 5 years since that cold March day, I have had more fun playing LotR SBG, reading these forums, discussing this game, meeting some great people and running some fun events then I think I have with any other game system I’ve played. It is YOU, the players I’ve met and this GAME that keeps me coming back for more. It’s the folks I see once a year at Adepticon. It’s the people I have yet to meet but feel I know them as I see them post almost daily on these forums. As much as this work of running an event can be less then fun at times, especially tough ones like this (just ask my wife who had to listen to me talk about these damn books for the past two weeks!) I know that I will always come back for more because the good I get far outweighs any perceived negatives I might feel at times.

Thank you
Jamie Welling
Adepticon 2012 LotR Coordinator
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Re: List Decision for Adepticon 2012

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:32 pm

While not required to use the new sourcebooks, it is a strong recommendation that we highly encourage the motivation of players to explore the sourcebooks to their hearts content as future events will be using these going forward.
BostonNazgul

Postby JLeong » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks, Jamie, for the time you've put in on this. I don't want to think how difficult it is to deal with the. We changes from a Touranament org. Perspective! I think this is a good way to go about it, and I certainly hope to see a lot of post-legions armies on the field (if the wait list permits me).
By the way-- we need to come up with a good name for the new (LotR) world order. "Legions" was so good.
Hmmm...
JLeong

Postby prion2001 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:44 pm

JLeong wrote:Thanks, Jamie, for the time you've put in on this. I don't want to think how difficult it is to deal with the. We changes from a Touranament org. Perspective! I think this is a good way to go about it, and I certainly hope to see a lot of post-legions armies on the field (if the wait list permits me).
By the way-- we need to come up with a good name for the new (LotR) world order. "Legions" was so good.
Hmmm...

Funny you mention that. Jeremy and I have been talking about standardizing the army rules like they have been in the past and we had the same issue. I liked Jeremy's suggestion of calling the new lists "warbands". Nice, one word symmetry with the old lists (Legions).

We should be getting word on more table space soon. I have a good feeling that most of the waitlisted players may get a chance to play. Stay tuned.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BostonNazgul » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:50 am

only a week left until we start kicking adepticon into full gear. Get your flipping floppies and swim trunks cause this boat is pushing off. Wait till you see what is behind terrain project door #1!
BostonNazgul

Return to Lord of the Rings News