New Sourcebooks Discussion Thread

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Postby ChrisLS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Some of the other things that I noticed in my perusing all of the books:

- Drums have changed. Orc drummer only works for Orcs, not Uruk-Hai. Black Guard drummer works for all Uruk-Hai, but that's it (so it sounds like they affect Isengard Uruks). The Troll drummer is now a 20 point upgrade and only has the effect of the movement drum - no courage penalty or banner effect.

- More on the Mahud: Completely revamped. Warriors have 1 attack and C2, no more Warrior Pride rule, same price as a WoMT. The chieftain has C3.

- Interesting thing I saw was that there is no theme requirement for heroes leading warbands. So you can put Warriors of the Dead in without the King, which may actually make them more viable.

- Spider Queens got a big change: 40 point price increase, but they are clearly no longer "named" characters.

I didn't see any kind of model count cap. As a TO, I'd definitely institute one as a house rule, probably 1 model per 10 points, IMO. With the big bump horde armies are getting it probably won't seriously affect them, but it would prevent major hordes of goblins or ruffians.
In my fantasy world, we have pie.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby JLeong » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Guys, Gandalf the White cannot cast sorcerous blast...

Do I have a mis-print??? Or is he just 45 points more than Gandalf the Grey for kicks and giggles (and the ability to take shadowfax)
JLeong

Postby EricA » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Yeah one of the first things i noticed too was that Gandalf the white doesnt have Sorcerrous Blast. Also Gandalf the grey can have his cart now. Definitely gonna try to get a hobbit army with the cart in it lol. Also Some other little minor things I saw, Erestor increased in points, "high elves" now come with heavy armor automatically, and the basically combined the two glorfindel and faramir's and gave them upgrade options. I think a lot of the warriors stayed the same for good at least besides the dead and the outriders. Also, in regards to the scenarios, it seems that gw is trying to normal the systems in terms of victory points and deployment.
Eric Adams
EricA

Postby ChrisLS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Hmmm... I'd say I'd house rule Gandalf the White to say he did have the old stat line of Sorcerous Blast. Not that we ever see him now, but it would be completely pointless without SB.

Oh, and Saruman the White of the White Council can ride a horse now. :twisted:

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. - Mark Twain
ChrisLS

Postby jlong05 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:08 pm

ChrisLS wrote:Hmmm... I'd say I'd house rule Gandalf the White to say he did have the old stat line of Sorcerous Blast. Not that we ever see him now, but it would be completely pointless without SB.

Oh, and Saruman the White of the White Council can ride a horse now. :twisted:

Personally, I would hold off house ruling any changes until first there is significant play under the current rules and second you have given time for GW to maybe FAQ stuff first. Just my thoughts.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby ChrisLS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:22 pm

I have so little faith in a timely FAQ... However, I think that getting a list of questions started would be a good idea. I'll start a thread.

ChrisLS

Postby BrentS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 am

I posted a few question. I think when we get a full list assembled, a few of us should email it to GW. I'm cautiously hopeful that they will issue FAQs if this is truly a new core game.
BrentS

Re: New Sourcebooks Discussion Thread

Postby Slave_To_Ungoliant » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Given the visibility of the upcoming Hobbit film, I believe the studio folks will be keeping a better eye on LOTR concerns. No harm in sending off a structured and well toned list of typos or errors (length and voice will be quite important to reception) in order to help bring about the inevitable FAQ a bit quicker IMHO.
Slave_To_Ungoliant

Postby ChrisLS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Slave_To_Ungoliant wrote:Given the visibility of the upcoming Hobbit film, I believe the studio folks will be keeping a better eye on LOTR concerns. No harm in sending off a structured and well toned list of typos or errors (length and voice will be quite important to reception) in order to help bring about the inevitable FAQ a bit quicker IMHO.

That is an excellent point, StU. Would you be willing to review and/or submit the list when assembled? I'm sure you are a far better judge of what would be well received than most of us.

ChrisLS

Postby Slave_To_Ungoliant » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Sure, I'd be glad to do what I can to help.

In the meantime, I'm kinda stoked to rejigger some of my old armies, add new gribblies, and build newly themed forces.
Slave_To_Ungoliant

Postby Lordgoober » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm

That being said, speaking of rejiggering lists, I now see myself needing to convert up a few Corsair Reavers for my Corsairs of Umbar list. Does anyone have a few corsairs with sword and shield they're willing to part with?
Lordgoober

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Lordgoober wrote:That being said, speaking of rejiggering lists, I now see myself needing to convert up a few Corsair Reavers for my Corsairs of Umbar list. Does anyone have a few corsairs with sword and shield they're willing to part with?

I should though they are missing their shield arms. I used those to put shields on my spear corsairs. I'll check later this afternoon to see what I've still got on hand.

Personally I'm stoked that the arbalesters are now viable missile troops.
Smeagol

Re:

Postby Smeagol » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 pm

febber wrote:
Slammers77 wrote:So you want to see human/dwarf/elf armies lead by 4 generic captains? I don't, and I don't want to bring that boring ass army either.

Well yeah! :-) All I play are generic heroes. :-)
Six hundred points are still viable, but the numbers gap between good and evil are more pronounced with few exceptions. I don't think that seven hundred points changes that much. I would recommend against knee jerk reactions just because things changed. Our previous complaints have been dealt with. The game has new models, minimal changes to the existing range and most of those have been to correct problems with game balance. The core rules didn't change so the existing FAQs and tournament house rules are intact.

All in all I am happy with the changes even if it does force me to use more than one hero in a force.
Smeagol

Postby Lordgoober » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks on the guys there. I should be able to find some arms somewhere else that I can use for them. I'll be there on Saturday most of the day.

I'm not horribly tweaked by these changes to the army construction myself. I was working towards 700 point forces anyway.

The main tweak I had to do to my Corsairs force was to change my second Captain into a Hasharin to fill out the points.
Lordgoober

Postby Siegrend » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Anybody seem to notice that the Isengard Command box comes with an Uruk Hai scout drummer...yet there are no rules for said drummer in the Isengard list?

Also odd, Minas Tirith Warriors and Rangers of Gondor have an upgrade option to "Ithilien Guards" or "Rangers of Ithilien" (which allows them to move through woodland difficult terrain as normal), yet there is no captain that could lead them in a warband that could do the same! So I guess he just falls behind?

Also, someone mentioned earlier to add a Black Guard drummer to the Isengard list along with Mauhur for move 11". A fantastic thought, but that is just broke, Uruk Hai on foot not only chasing down but catching Riders of Rohan on horseback...stupid.
Even the very wise cannot see all ends...
Siegrend

PreviousNext

Return to Lord of the Rings News