New releases and Adepticon Poll

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Should we stick with the current Adepticon Rules (i.e. Legions) for 2012?

Yes. I already have a plan and don't want to mess it up
14%
Yes. I don't mind changing but I'd rather wait until we've had more time with the new books
43%
No. We should use the new books as long as there are no major changes
19%
No. We should use the new books regardless of how different they are
24%

Total votes : 21

New releases and Adepticon Poll

Postby prion2001 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 pm

I was going to wait on this until we had the book and knew more but I can tell people are getting edgy about how the new books will affect our LotR events at Adepticon. So, please answer the poll below and feel free to add your comments in the thread.

Thanks,

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby old coast » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:20 pm

Its tough to vote right now, its depends on how the new changes would be incorporated into a tourney setting and what the points hash out to be.

Our Game night at the bunker on 2/11 got alot more important..

While I like to potential of parity among force size now..as no more 75 model against 30 model games. I still think theme should be an important element in list choices for an event..even if GW dumbs it down to simply Good vs Evil...there is a ton to consider.
old coast

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:37 pm

yeah, hmmmm, this a tough vote, need to think about it.

I think players will have the necessary models for the new army building, it will depend on establishing a tournament standard point value and how it will relate to the team event etc.

By cutting legions dividers, it does not change that much with HAVING the option for stupid armies. almost all current lists allow for whacky combos.

it will just fall on players to continue making logical armies
BostonNazgul

Postby prion2001 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 pm

I agree but I'm not sure I want to rethink my whole event in under 2 months because they've chnaged things and left us hanging. I htink there is more chance for errors by changing things then in leaving them as is. Certainly we'd adopt the new rules and army lists for next year when we all have time to get aquainted with them.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
prion2001

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:43 pm

yeah, its a short window for re evaluating 2 tournament rules, scenarios, armies, judging, etc
BostonNazgul

Postby jlong05 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Although I am unlikely to attend, I would recommend staying with the established standard as that is how everyone has planned for the event and to have to alter in 2 months seems unwarranted. I think future events however should seriously look at adoption of the new standards as that will help drive GW support going forward.

Largely, if the gaming community doesnt unite around the new ruleset it will get dropped(See WotR!). And considering there is no fallback now(SBG just got changed) we need to fall behind the new version if we have any hope of future GW support.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:29 pm

ditto
BostonNazgul

Postby tjski » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Here is my two cents,

I voted to stay but will change later on. I already purchased all my models and have been working on them for the team event. If the new books come out and change my army, i will be rather upset and would not be able to play.

So I think the safe thing is to keep it like it is, two moths is a short time frame to make a change to adepticon and I would hate to see players have to drop out because either they can't afford to purchase more models or there armies have gone away with the new set up.

So there you go, my two cents...

Tim K
tjski

Postby BrentS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Having not seen the rules... its my expectation that Bilbo's Birthday Bash will use the "new" SBG. Of course that is 10 months away.

I haven't voted in the poll yet but I will state now, I'm not opposed to changing to the new rules. The bottomline, this is the "new" SBG and we are either going to adopt it or we are going to be playing a game that will have zero support in the future. Adepticon is 2.5 months away. I would expect that the "new" SBG will be played routinely at that point and it may be strange to be playing the "old" rules still.

However, I agree that Adepticon is in a horrible spot and as these new rules are dropping right in the sweet spot where implementation could go either way.

I haven't made any firm plans for either army at Adepticon and will adapt to whatever the TOs decide.
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:03 pm

One more thought... with the apparent theming rules disappearing it will present a unique opportunity for theming to become a "major" piece of the US tournament scheme. All of the TOs that I'm aware of, place an emphasis on theme... you can bet that good solid theming will be rewarded at Bilbo's Birthday Bash.
BrentS

Postby old coast » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:47 pm

I agree with your sentiments Brent, I think thats the right attitude.
I think the singles should probably be switched to the new rules..unless
they are so disastrous that there really game breaking competitively.
embracing the new rules but adding in tournament specific theme is a great idea and a unique opportunity, I've done the *old rules* tournament when the new rules were out before and it wasn't fun..because by the time you got to the event you were already compartmentalizing the newer rules...it was legitimately the worst tournament I ever attended solely for that reason.

The TT is a different story, if people are building for the TT and the new rules trash everyone's lists..there is no choice but to stick with old rules..
or the TT could just go belly up. we are saying rules, but apparently its not really *rules* so much as force organization is that correct?
Last edited by old coast on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old coast

Postby BrentS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 pm

I cast my vote that we should change. I suspect I will be in the minority but I do think we should change. I also suspect that my Adepticon teammate will have the complete opposite opinion :wink:

However, as I said, if we stick to the old rules it won't kill me.
BrentS

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:07 pm

I think the singles can change but the TT should not. I think there is alot of thought that goes into these army constructions and some people have teamates from all over the country. I really don't want to change our TT list.

Just my thoughts will be there either way.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby prion2001 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for the comments so far. Keep them coming.

I won't vote myself until I see the books and what they entail. But, I resent the fact that I'll have to wait to see how this affects my event because GW wants to keep us in the dark. Why should I worry myself about THEIR rule changes when they clearly don't care about the players and the tournament events. I don't know if they should but at some point, my event helps them. The least they could do is give me a heads up.

But mostly I don't want to see players scramble or be forced to spend money on books and models just because GW changed the rules 2 months before an event.

I guess we'll see on the 4th what this change entails.

Jamie
prion2001

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:45 pm

it is a lot of money to drop and then learn and adapt new rule sets, maybe if it was 4 months ahead of time...
BostonNazgul

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News