Internet Rumors about a new Skirmish rule set in FEB

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Internet Rumors about a new Skirmish rule set in FEB

Postby BrentS » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:15 pm

No idea on the validity of this one...

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22194
BrentS

Postby BrentS » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Most of the internet scuttle is on the price rise and not much on the potential new rules. I'm, of course, most curious about that rules update.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 pm

sounds promising! please dont mess it up GW! if so we can always keep 1st edition ORB lol
BostonNazgul

Postby griffen127 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:38 pm

hmm in feb?? that sounds like a strange release time for that. But It would make some cents as they dont even sell there current game
griffen127

Postby prion2001 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Just my luck. They will release new rules less then two months before our event but I'm sure I'd see the actual book the same time as everyone else (i.e the Saturday it gets released). Nothing like giving us some time to plan ahead GW. :roll:

I'd be suprised that they'd release something NOT tied to the Hobbit. I figured they'd update the old profiles and add Hobbit stuff all at once in late fall before the movie but what do I know. GW clearly knows what they're doing with their games, especially LotR. :P

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Lordgoober » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Would we even use a new edition that comes out in Feb. I thought our rules change deadline this year was Feb 1. I know for army books it's 1 month before event but rules editions I'm not sure on.
Lordgoober

Postby BrentS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:27 pm

The more I look for information about this online, which is obviously scarce, the more I think it's a reality.

If a new rulebook is released, and it's certainly not a slam dunk that it will be a "good" update, I think it will be hard to not move in that direction. If it is a rebranding of the SBG, then I would assume that SBG as we know it will cease to exist. Nothing will prevent players for using the old rules but any new models released wouldn't be useable in SBG.

The timing of February release will create havoc around with the timing of Adepticon but I could envision a strong motivation to move to these new rules. I'm not sure if everyone will be ready by Adepticon (especially if the rules for army building change significantly) but I'm willing to try.
BrentS

Postby muwhe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Generally, we have a 30 day window on new books and rules.

That said, I would find it highly unlikely that GW would release an updated SBG ruleset prior to the Hobbit.

Stranger things have happened.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby febber » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 am

BrentS wrote:The more I look for information about this online, which is obviously scarce, the more I think it's a reality.

If a new rulebook is released, and it's certainly not a slam dunk that it will be a "good" update, I think it will be hard to not move in that direction. If it is a rebranding of the SBG, then I would assume that SBG as we know it will cease to exist. Nothing will prevent players for using the old rules but any new models released wouldn't be useable in SBG.

The timing of February release will create havoc around with the timing of Adepticon but I could envision a strong motivation to move to these new rules. I'm not sure if everyone will be ready by Adepticon (especially if the rules for army building change significantly) but I'm willing to try.

While I am very doubtful a true "new" ruleset is about to be released, I will not be playing it at Adepticon. I am building armies based on current rules and do not plan to change that.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby griffen127 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Ur my boy BLUE!!!!!
griffen127

Postby prion2001 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm working with Hank to see if there is anything behind this rumor. Once we have a better idea we can answer how this may or may not affect the event. Even though, if released, it would be 2 months out, given GW's secrecy of late I don't see how I use it if I can't get an early look. So, my preference would be to stay with the current edition this year rather than throw a wrench in the plans. You guys will be the first to know for sure either way.

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby BrentS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Update from Warseer. As best as I can tell this "Harry" guy is usually pretty well plugged in:

Harry @WarSeer wrote:
BramGuant @WarSeer wrote:A friend of mine informed me that apparently GW plans a LotR Relaunch in feb, wit 'loads of beautifull miniatures'. He didn't mention a new rulebook, though, but feb appears to be the first LotR month in years.

But then, he's not Harry =)

:mrgreen:

There is a LotR relaunch in February ... with loads of minis.

Rule book comes a little bit later.

And:

Harry @WarSeer wrote: :mrgreen:

It will be combined book for SBG and all the supplements.

It will not be for WotR.

I for one hope this is true as it sounds like its new minis and not a total re-write of the rules. I'd be okay if they "tweaked" the profiles to get them to line up better as well.

If this is true, one thing is clear.. come February SBG as we know it will cease to be supported (if we can call it support) and this new ruleset will be the new "core" LOTR game. I'm excited to see new LOTR product... I sure hope that GW doesn't muck it around too much.
BrentS

Postby jlong05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 pm

I plan to hold on to my apprehensive nature until we get more details. With the disaster that GW did with WotR, it scares me what they may do with SBG. Given their belief taht throwing more more more dice was reat is WotR, and less of a concern on game balance and what not, I just hope that whatever they do for SBG is a solid decision.

With that said, it would really really be nice to have updated profiles that make some of the broken armies viable in SBG. Namely Rohan, Fiefdoms, and AotD. Also, it would be nice to get profiles for models that were placed in LoME but never appears with an actual profile.

I know, wishful thinking on both points most likely.
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby griffen127 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:40 pm

very interesting. Only Time will till if this is a mess up or a step forward. I just have to say it seems so very strange to come out before the Hobbit
griffen127

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 am

Not really. If you get the disillusioned veterans back into the game and then generate interest in younger players than GW stands a chance at revisiting the font of wealth that was The Lord of the Rings phenomenon. As I understand it Adam Troke rejoined the games development team and he is an avid LOTR player. If he has anything to do with the core rewrite/update then I'm inclined to have faith in the final product.
Smeagol

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News