Who's your favorite LotR army/faction?

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Who's your favorite LotR army/faction?

Postby VeteranNoob » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:25 pm

With Gathering in the Desert 2012 rapidly approaching, many people have turned their attention to Lord of the Rings. This has brought a question to my mind that I would like to pose to anyone willing to reply.

WHAT ARMY OR FACTION IS YOUR FAVORITE, AND WHAT? It could be their story, their stats, the models, or any other reason! So I'll go first....

My favorite is Dol Amroth! After reading the books as a kid, I always thought about the groups mentioned in the large battle at the gates of Minas Tirith. I was always interested in the swan knights for some reason. There seemed to be a lot of valor among them. After researching within the past two years, I love the idea that Prince Imrahil had a potential claim to the throne of Gondor and chose to serve Aragorn loyally. Then I saw the models from the GW line, and my fondness was solidified! I have the army, I suck at playing it, but it remains my favorite!

There you go, the question is asked! Who is your favorite, and why?
VeteranNoob

Postby BrentS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:41 pm

Rohan has been and will probably always be my favorite. The way PJ showed the Rohirrim charge at the Pelennor always gives me goosebumps.

My favorite army that I've built and played has to be the Unexpected Party. It just turned out to be such a fun and satisfying project.
BrentS

Postby Slammers77 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Dwarfs. I play them in WHFB, LoTR, heck even my Pathfinder character is a dwarf. How can you not love bearded guys that drink alot of beer?

John
Slammers77

Postby Smeagol » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:26 am

The Haradrim for evil and Dwarf Rangers for good.

EDIT: Now that I'm on a device that edits properly. The Haradrim was the first force where I grew attached to a particularly resilient generic chieftain whose was named Kushir. His battles, adventures and legend grew with each passing game. Usually he survived and sometimes he pulled off the impossible. Needless to say nearly every Haradrim force I okay is led by him. Though now he's usually a King as opposed to a chieftain.

I started the dwarf rangers when I was told by "the internet" that dwarf rangers were overpriced and useless. My five hundred point ranger force led by Baen (pronounced bane) proved to be a dangerous little force. Baen has seen almost as many narrative battles as Kushir and he's rarely disappointed me. Baen now leads a dangerous six hundred point horde of rangers when he comes out at all.
Last edited by Smeagol on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smeagol

Postby GRswanknight » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 pm

i would go with my army of arnor. it's been a fun army to play with. malbeth really is a good choice to have in that army and the fact that all warriors of arnor have spears.
"...about the Gate resistance still was stout, and there the knights of Dol Amroth and the hardiest of the garrison stood at bay." -The Return of the King
GRswanknight

Postby griffen127 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:02 pm

High Elves; look, colors, story, and they are or so fun. Just sad
GW are bitchies and don't flush out lome
griffen127

Postby thorhak » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:04 pm

griffen127 wrote:High Elves

Can't even picture you as a Do Gooder, much less a Pointy Eared one! :twisted:

As for me, Dwarves...love the models, the Heroes, can't tell ya' how many times Dwarven medal has saved me despite huge tactical blunders etc. And they are pretty tricky to play...no cav...no spear support...and s-l-o-w moving. And of course, as a serious consumer of Ale and like, it's a natural fit for me!

Baruk Khazad! Khazad Ai-menu!!!
Mayhem in the Mountains 2014?!?!?!?! Stay tuned! Adeptus Mile High
thorhak

Postby febber » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Gondor. 2008 Circuit Champion faction. That is all.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby Gartl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Gondor. Last power for good in Middle Earth.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Elves---Galadrhim-- which really is wierd because I have never played them in a GT, played them in a couple of local tournaments. MAybe one of these years they will see some action.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Return to Lord of the Rings News