The Lord of the Rings Battlehosts

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Do you like the idea of Apocalyspe-style LotR?

yes
19%
no
24%
I'm going to wait until I see a rules set
57%

Total votes : 21

Postby knitemare » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Looks cool enough. I like the idea of formation based combat with high point values. Could be exciting.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:10 pm

it was all tongue and cheek lol.

i hope there isnt morale checks, ug thats what kills me about warhammer, you paint up 15 guys, then they all die in 1 charge cause they fail a morale check.
BostonNazgul

Postby General Haar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:16 am

But morale is essentially what won most block-battles of history.

I do play WHFB, and I love it, and I must say, this is starting to look very similar. I probably won't bother with it, but I think I may actually want to see the rules before making a call.
Still, it'll be hard to convince me to buy a supplement for something so similar to a game I play. I know a lot of people like the whole reenacting the huge battles thing, but I don't quite care for it as much. But we'll see.

Plus, I like doing huge 1-2k battles as is. Takes a little bit, but it's still a pretty good time in my opinion. Just remember to record M/W/F/Wounds on paper and take a breather every now and again. ;]
General Haar

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:01 pm

my issue with similarities to warhammer and 40k, is my connection to the models. for instance, joe the harad raider escaped the jaws of my dog, a spilled pot of paint, but dies with 10 other raiders in wahammer, then no one is left to avenge my joe. just feel like each warrior has a direct chance of survival, makes each conversion or paint job worth while and each loss cuts deep.

it would take me 5 yrs to make a warhammer or 40k army, so many models lol.

but yes, morale is the biggest factor in battles, just prefer a falser sense of reality
BostonNazgul

Postby knitemare » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:27 pm

BostonNazgul wrote:my issue with similarities to warhammer and 40k, is my connection to the models. for instance, joe the harad raider escaped the jaws of my dog, a spilled pot of paint, but dies with 10 other raiders in wahammer, then no one is left to avenge my joe. just feel like each warrior has a direct chance of survival, makes each conversion or paint job worth while and each loss cuts deep.

it would take me 5 yrs to make a warhammer or 40k army, so many models lol.

but yes, morale is the biggest factor in battles, just prefer a falser sense of reality

As I'm currently working on my Fantasy army I understand what you're saying. I'm working with this system where I paint a full box before I open the next one. That means entire units have a completely coherent and uniform color scheme. It takes some discipline to do it this way and I'm used to working with lord of the rings models "an army at a time". I don't do a lot of conversions so that isn't a problem for me. I do tend to have everything in my LotR armies built, based and primed at the same time. Then I work on it little by little until it's done.

With Fantasy, though, you really only have block formation. Unit based combat and a few skirmishers are really all you get. If the LotR apoc huge points type game has different formations, it will have my attention for sure.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Slave_To_Ungoliant » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Upcoming mega LOTR battles thing = buckets of dice, the game.

Rules are very very true to those established, though a few stats interact differently. Movement is kinda loosey goosey and very forgiving. But it's a good streamlined system that gets the job done. Argument prone, airtight rule goons need not apply to this game at all. The whole thing is written to be about wasting boatloads of dudes all in the name of fun. And yes, did I mention buckets of dice?

It's a totally optional game set for you and yer pals. (though if you're a LOTR nerd it's a must.) Very cool. You can tell the folks who wrote it care about setting up a game and simply having fun.

You could definitely play the thing using wooden rectangles from GF9 and bases labeled "orc" or something. Models look great en masse, but are not really necessary to the mechanics in any way.

However, there ARE a varied bunch of cool models on the way to support it. Overall, a big fat win for the LOTR community.
Slave_To_Ungoliant

Postby BrentS » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks for the headsup. I, for one, am looking forward to it. I don't think it will fundamentally change the way I build and collect day to day but it could make for fun club events!

Anything that gets more models made for LOTR and increases exposure for LOTR is a good thing in my mind!
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:22 pm

However, there ARE a varied bunch of cool models on the way to support it.

:lol: We can ALWAYS use more of those!
This may very well lead to some fun club events.

When are we looking at a release?

The cycle usually dictates Feb. to be the first release of the year, but this is pretty big. Maybe a spring launch?
JLeong

Postby Angelos » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:26 pm

JLeong wrote:
However, there ARE a varied bunch of cool models on the way to support it.

:lol: We can ALWAYS use more of those!
This may very well lead to some fun club events.

When are we looking at a release?

The cycle usually dictates Feb. to be the first release of the year, but this is pretty big. Maybe a spring launch?

Im all about the new models, the rules and expansion not so much.
Angelos

Postby BrentS » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:49 pm

JLeong wrote:When are we looking at a release?

I'm guessing sometime in Feb to April. I think we'll get some news in the next White Dwarf. However, they may just tease us again next month.
BrentS

Previous

Return to Lord of the Rings News