The Lord of the Rings Battlehosts

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Do you like the idea of Apocalyspe-style LotR?

yes
19%
no
24%
I'm going to wait until I see a rules set
57%

Total votes : 21

The Lord of the Rings Battlehosts

Postby JLeong » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Hey folks, I was just over at GW's website (sorry if this is old news)
and I found this:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... Style=lotr

The Lord of the Rings range now includes battlehosts- massive army boxes that include bigger heroes and massive amounts of troops (both cavalry and infantry). I personally don't care for the configurations of the Rohan, Isengard, or Gondor boxes, but this is definately a sign that the "new game-changing event" for February may in fact be massive apocalypse-style games for The Lord of the Rings.

P.S. THey also have pics and details of the new modular terrain board (which is amazing!)
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:51 pm

I voted to wait and see what the rules actually entail. Obviously its all speculation at this point.

Not sure how I feel about the Battle Hosts Sets available for order. I agree with you that the compostion is just okay (no banners and very limited heroes). I also haven't done the math but from what others have said, the cost on the battle hosts isn't really discounted.
BrentS

Postby Drunken Mick » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:57 pm

From my rudimentary perusal it almost appears as if the Mordor box is cheaper to buy the items individually. The combinations offered can leave you with a ton of extra crap and still have stuff missing. You'd be better off checking a website for a "what-you-need" list.
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby jlong05 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 pm

I voted for Wait and See also. I guess I just see the war host as another version of WFB. If I want to do that, why wouldn't I just play WFB?
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 pm

I voted wait and see also. If they do anything with movement trays I will be very sad. I read something about special movement trays for round bases. I hope the base rule set stays the same.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby BrentS » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:17 pm

Guardian of Ecthelion wrote:I voted wait and see also. If they do anything with movement trays I will be very sad. I read something about special movement trays for round bases. I hope the base rule set stays the same.

I actually think Movement trays could be helpful. One of the biggest challenges in my mind is pushing 100+ models around the table. However, I can see why people would resist them. They certainly seem to go "against" what we all like about LOTR.
BrentS

Well...

Postby tjski » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:01 am

Well I happen to know from a very good source inside GW that there is going to be a new supplement for playing large battle games comming out. It will not change the rules we have now, just streamline the rules for large (1000+) games.

I had concearns as an organizer that this could be a major rules change, but after a few well placed e-mails I was told that its a supplement to be used as a add on for the game.

Tim K
tjski

Re: Well...

Postby Drunken Mick » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:08 am

tjski wrote:Well I happen to know from a very good source inside GW that there is going to be a new supplement for playing large battle games comming out. It will not change the rules we have now, just streamline the rules for large (1000+) games.

I had concearns as an organizer that this could be a major rules change, but after a few well placed e-mails I was told that its a supplement to be used as a add on for the game.

Tim K

Yup there will be movement trays but it's a take it or leave it sort of thing. The core game isn't changing they are adding apoc style optional rules to account for rediculously large games that some folks like to play.
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby knitemare » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:07 pm

I've talked to a bunch of people in and out of GW about this. The "War of the Ring" Apocolypse style stuff is supposed to be more formation based war gaming. As I understand it the movement trays will put your warriors into different formations which give you different advantages and disadvantages.

This is not changing how the regular game is played, it is adding an aspect to the game that was not there before. Just as with 40k and Apocolypse, it isn't how you HAVE to play the game. The movement trays will not be used for regular gaming, only for "war of the ring" gaming. I put that in parenthasis due to not knowing the exact name of the expansion.

I'm ok with the new battlehost sets they are putting out. I think that if you are going to try to get into the "war of the ring" style of play you need to be able to build huge armies fast, if you don't already have them. If someone decides on the force they will play, buying 2 of these boxes for their chosen force will put them into to area of being able to play a multi-thousand point game.

I'm definitely interested in this change in the way the game is played and I'll be happy to throw two 4ft x 8ft tables together and play a 4000-6000 point game on a huge battle field of grassland or desert. I think it'll be fun.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Gartl » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 pm

I'm definately in favor. I am always wanting to do larger battles to recreate some of the book and movie battles, but no one seems to want to put in the time. If the rules streamline play, but are optional, I am all for them.
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. - Boromir FOTR
Gartl

Postby BrentS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Cool picture of the apparent WoR style gaming was shown over on TLA. Check it out here:

http://www.thelastalliance.com/?pid=vie ... e=8#573238
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks for posting this, Brent! I'm not so sure I like the looks of it. I do like the idea of being able to play massive games with LotR figures. I do hope that the expansion's rules don't stray too close to warhammer. We'll have to wait and see I suppose! The big problem with large games is the amount of time they take; perhaps the expansion will expedite things a bit. After all, who doesn't want to see several hundred (non-hobbit) models on the table??

The terrain in the picture does look splendid, though. I could get used to seeing that in White Dwarf instead of strung-out magic article that sort of points out the obvious. (yay Gandalf, etc. etc.)
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:43 pm

JLeong wrote: I do hope that the expansion's rules don't stray too close to warhammer. We'll have to wait and see I suppose! The big problem with large games is the amount of time they take; perhaps the expansion will expedite things a bit. After all, who doesn't want to see several hundred (non-hobbit) models on the table??

As best as I can tell, that's exactly the point. Its a way to play with 1000s of points in a reasonable timeframe.
BrentS

Postby BostonNazgul » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

battles werent won in minutes folks,

you start your helms deep seige at sun down, and keep playing until the last person is killed. if its before gandalf arrives at sun rise with the cav. then so be it, serious business.
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:57 pm

BostonNazgul wrote:battles werent won in minutes folks,

you start your helms deep seige at sun down, and keep playing until the last person is killed. if its before gandalf arrives at sun rise with the cav. then so be it, serious business.

I'm sure some of that was said tongue in cheek. However, to be honest, a 12 hour battle doesn't appeal to me that much. :wink:
BrentS

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News