Three Hunters Models Poll

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Which Three Hunter Model should I paint tonight?

Aragorn
21%
Gimli
57%
Legolas
21%

Total votes : 14

Three Hunters Models Poll

Postby knitemare » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm considering picking up the Three Hunters tonight. It turns out I'm going to have some extra time. If I do, which one should I paint tonight (start to finish)?
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:46 pm

I voted for Gimli because that is the one I want to see from a few more angles. From the promotional photos, he's the only one I can get get a feel for.
BrentS

Postby knitemare » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:57 pm

BrentS wrote:I voted for Gimli because that is the one I want to see from a few more angles. From the promotional photos, he's the only one I can get get a feel for.

You're making my life tough. I hate Gimli. He goes against everything I stand for.

Well...not really. But he's the most annoying hero in the game to me.
knitemare

Postby knitemare » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Oh yea, the poll will be looked at until 5pm today when I leave work to go paint and play.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:09 pm

knitemare wrote:
BrentS wrote:I voted for Gimli because that is the one I want to see from a few more angles. From the promotional photos, he's the only one I can get get a feel for.

You're making my life tough. I hate Gimli. He goes against everything I stand for.

Now you are just asking for votes for Gimli...

If you don't paint him, can you at least take some pictures of the model so I can see him from multiple views.
BrentS

Postby knitemare » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 pm

BrentS wrote:
knitemare wrote:

Now you are just asking for votes for Gimli...

If you don't paint him, can you at least take some pictures of the model so I can see him from multiple views.

There is now one vote for each and none of those votes are me. I will at least get more pictures of him.

Come on guys, vote it up so I know who to go for first. I'm not going to stop until the model is fully painted.

I'll be letting the glue dry while I finish my blood bowl orcs.
knitemare

Postby knitemare » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:38 pm

oh nos! It's split between Gimli and Legolas. I haven't voted, but if I vote it's going to go to Legolas and that just isn't fair. I'll wait a few more minutes.
knitemare

Postby Guardian of Ecthelion » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:52 pm

I saw the Gimli model painted this weekend. It looks better in person than it does in the pictures.
Guardian of Ecthelion

Postby jlong05 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:21 pm

Gimli for the win. ;)
The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05

Postby BrentS » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:54 am

So, did Gimli get painted?

Did you guys play your Tuesday night games?

Did DM finally settle on a list for the GT?
BrentS

Postby Drunken Mick » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:01 am

All these answers and more on Soap!
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby knitemare » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:29 am

I figured Gimli would win, so I chose to do that model. I hate Gimli, so I had to come up with a way to entice myself to paint the model. I decided to go with the "All Wash" method. It ended up being 90% wash. Then something horrible happened. After the model was painted I used 'Ardcoat to make sure it wouldn't get scratched. About 30 minutes later, I sprayed the model with Matte Varnish.

Well, some amount of the 'Ardcoat must have been wet. It mixed with the Matte Varnish and the wash in the areas where it was wet kind of evaporated overnight. I'll take pictures in a few minutes so you can see what it looks like, but it looked a WHOLE lot better before the accident.

I'm not even sure how I'm going to repair this yet.

As for my games, I played Cathy Wappel in Blood Bowl. It was my team, the Midnight Crows, vs. her team, the Oozing Pustules (I hope I spelled that correctly).

In the first half, I kicked off to the Pustules and they sort of walked over the Crows for a touchdown. When the Pustules kicked off after their touchdown, the kick when wide and the wind carried it off the pitch. That allowed me to give it to any one of my players. Ace Cutter, one of my throwers took the ball. My linemen created a wall that the Pustules just couldn't ooze through to keep Ace safe.

In a daring move, Yukon Dangerous dodged past one of the Pustules defenders and headed for the end zone. The Linemen opened a hole for Ace to run through, he ran up half the distance to the goal and threw the ball. The disturbing appearance of the Pustules was no match for Aces resolve (he needed a 6 to make the throw and I got it without a re-roll). The accurate pass flew neatly in the Yukons waiting oven mitt for a touchdown, tieing up the game! That was the 8th turn of the first half.

Im not going to go over the second half. It didn't go well for the Pustules. Ace Cutter and Yukon Dangerous rocked the second half (Cathys dice kind of died on her and it really helped me out). Luck aside, Yukon Dangerous can ONLY do things when the coach says, "He can do it, he's Yukon Dangerous". Things like stepping into an opponents tackle zone, picking up the ball while there, then dodging out of that tackle zone (all in the same move action) are just insane. The third point in the second half was scored that way and Yukon had to "Go for it" 2 times just to make it there.

Cathy was a very gracious opponent and was nice enough to remind me to move my turn counter no less than 6 times in the first half. In the second half I managed to catch myself and change it before she realized I had forgotten. She was really cool about not giving me a hard time since I haven't played in nearly 13 years.

My second game was against Miles in Aeronautica. He was absolutely demolished. His Ace Pilot disengaged in the second turn (a miscalculation on his part) and another of his pilots flew into a mountain in the third turn. I blew one of his planes out of the sky in the third turn and destroyed two of his ground defense (2nd and 4th turn). At that point, he had one ground defense and one plane left. His plane had to disengage (the rules state it) and because of that I won based on points. My bomber was a turn from making it off the opposite table edge, so I would have won anyway. It was probably the quickest 100 point Aeronautica game I've ever played. It took about an hour.
knitemare

The Gimli Catastrophe

Postby knitemare » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:38 am

Here are the pictures. What happened to this model has actually brought up something I think would be really interesting to do and I'm going to post another thread about it.

Anyway, on with the pictures. I am not proud of this.

knitemare

Postby BrentS » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:55 am

I'd try to hit it with some matte varnish again and see if it helps it out. I had problems with an over-agressive amount of Krylon Triple clear glaze on my Burhdur and I was convinced I'd ruined the model. When I sprayed the Matte varnish, it really helped fixt the issues.

If that doesn't work, you can always strip the model and start over :twisted:

On a side note, I do like the sculpting on that pose more now that I've seen it from multiple directions.
BrentS

Postby knitemare » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:04 am

BrentS wrote:I'd try to hit it with some matte varnish again and see if it helps it out. I had problems with an over-agressive amount of Krylon Triple clear glaze on my Burhdur and I was convinced I'd ruined the model. When I sprayed the Matte varnish, it really helped fixt the issues.

If that doesn't work, you can always strip the model and start over :twisted:

On a side note, I do like the sculpting on that pose more now that I've seen it from multiple directions.

My plan today is to fix him. I know, now, that the shafts of the axes are supposed to be metal and not wood. That will help. Fixing the face shouldn't take that much effort. Even now, with the little bits of white showing, he doesn't look bad from table top distance. I little repair work will make all the difference.

Also, I'll have a painted Gimli model. I don't know what I'm going to do with him, but I have him.
knitemare

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News