Plastic Troll Kit

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Do you prefer centerpiece models like trolls and heroes be platic or metal?

Metal
36%
Plastic
21%
A balance is alright
36%
Green stuff! I make my own!
7%

Total votes : 14

Plastic Troll Kit

Postby JLeong » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:26 pm

Hey folks, I just received my copy of White Dwarf in the mail (January Issue). The LotR content, much like it has been lately, was pretty pathetic. I haven't read the entire article (yes, SINGULAR again :roll: ) but it seems like it just talks about the benefits of playing "Journey" supplement scenarios and how fun it is to re-enact scenes from the book and films. Perhaps we should submit an article about our Pellennor game, Osgiliath game, or upcoming Helm's Deep game if they want to talk about this sort of game. Sounds better to run an article on something fresh instead of reprinting Supplement-book material! The magazine is still useful. I really like it. Hobby issues, news issues, and articles covering new products are great, but over the past 4 months or so its quality has slipped a great deal. The ridiculous level of 40k domination since the Apocalypse release must be getting to me.
Anyway, to the point of this post:

In a hobby section previewing some of the 2008 material, there is a photo of a plastic Isengard troll. This seems to correspond with rumors of a plastic "Troll Kit." It looks to me like there is a generic troll torso with generic legs and decorated with different heads, arms, weapons, and a few decorative pieces (and a shield for Isengard). Honestly, I was not impressed. I prefer big center-piece models like trolls to have the detail of metal miniatures, but for the budget, it works well. My main complaint is that the model looks too tall and too thin. THis image contradicts previous models' precedent as well as the WETA design. I'd give the troll about a 6/10 maybe a 6.5.
I really hope that they do not discontinue the old metal trolls; I might have to stock up!
JLeong

Postby BostonNazgul » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:24 pm

I prefer metal due to detail and my love for converting, bends easier and lets you really go to town with the saws and knives. makes conversions of large metals even better when you know yours is unique, as opposed to make 1/15 choices of a plastic sprue.
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:30 am

I know people don't like the Isengard troll on principle alone. But he already is a really good value - its a metal model that only costs $20! It comes with two heads and two weapons.
BrentS

Postby knitemare » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:29 am

I prefer metal models because the sculpts seem to be nicer and less generic. I also like metal models for heroes and larger creatures because they have some weight to them, they FEEL important. Take the easterlings I painted. The Easterling Captain looks very similar to the rest of the models but when you are moving them around you can feel how different he is when you pick him up because he is at least 3 times the weight.

Honestly, though, the Cave Troll in the Moria set is plastic and it is pretty nice looking. With it being plastic I have a lot less concern that parts of him will break off due to weight, as Durburz arms have on both my model and Drunken Micks. They were both fixed easily, but it is still disconcerting to see an arm fall off a model in the middle of a battle.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby prion2001 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 am

I voted for a balance. Yes, I like metal models and it used to be because they were always more detailed. But, with the newer plastics from GW this is starting to change. The Dwarves, for instance, are some really nice models (IMO). Not sure I've seen much in the way of plastic characters other than the Fellowship, which is certainly NOT as detailed a sculpt as the metal versions.

Now, a plastic Troll I might be willing to go with as a centerpiece. I'm not much for conversions so having a kit with some variations and bits to make this easier is always nice. Also, even though I rarely use the leftover bitz I like having them "just in case".

I think bigger plastics like Trolls should still be pretty detailed. Look at things like the new plastic Fantasy Dragons as an example. It sounds like maybe the overal design of this piece isn't as inspiring as the earlier Trolls.
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Drunken Mick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:20 am

I used freakin Krazy Glue TWICE on that arm... maybe this time since I took the file to his arse it'll stay put :P.

I don't mind a balance myself, being the cost concious peep I am.
Lord of the Drink

Eat that Flatly!
Drunken Mick

Postby BrentS » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:27 am

Drunken Mick wrote:I used freakin Krazy Glue TWICE on that arm... maybe this time since I took the file to his arse it'll stay put :P.

You probably need to "pin" the model's arm to help with the weight.
BrentS

Postby febber » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:52 am

BrentS wrote:
Drunken Mick wrote:I used freakin Krazy Glue TWICE on that arm... maybe this time since I took the file to his arse it'll stay put :P.

You probably need to "pin" the model's arm to help with the weight.

For something that heavy and that shape, pinning and using a liquid epoxy as the adherent are the best ways to go (I do use superglue to help set the join while the epoxy cures). I've never had a troll arm or Treebeard part fall off since I started that method.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby Angelos » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 am

I prefer metal but plastic is nice to work with when converting as I do like to tinker with my hero models to set them apart from the rest. Though with named characters I like to use them as is.
Angelos

Postby Angelos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:42 am

Heres a pic for those who havent seen it.

Based on the angle of the picture, the shoulders look far to square, and the fingers look just a bit to big, but as always I would like to see the model in person first.

Hopefully this kit will be interchangable with mordor :) though it would be easy enough to convert it if it isnt.
Angelos

Postby CaptainOfTheWolfRiders » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:28 am

I really like the Troll kit. It would be far easier to convert the Trolls if they're plastic, and not to mention they wouldn't break as much if you decide to drop them :oops:

@ Drunken Mick: Try using Gale Force 9 Hobby Glue and Spray Drier. It works wonders...glued my metal Troll with it over a year ago and it still hasn;t broken yet :wink:
"Shoot him!" "Cut out his tongue!" "Shoot him and cut out his tongue and then shoot his tongue!"-Pirates of the Caribbean
CaptainOfTheWolfRiders

Postby Erunion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:43 pm

I like this as well. If these are indeed a multiple kit, that can build either Isengard or Mordor Trolls, I will be very happy indeed. Then I can easily convert a Mordor Troll Captain, as I was never a fan of the previous model.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be
acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer.
Erunion

Return to Lord of the Rings News