LOTR GTs for 2008 -- Our input requested

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

What points/games would you prefer at GTs in 2008

Poll ended at Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:00 pm

5 games at 600 points
75%
6 games at 600 points
25%
7 games at 500 points
No votes
Other option (specify in your post)
No votes

Total votes : 12

LOTR GTs for 2008 -- Our input requested

Postby febber » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:10 am

I (along with many of you, I suspect) received an email from Dave Taylor today. I'll post it in its entirety as he is soliciting the community's input as to next year's events.

Hi guys

Everyone receiving this email played in one or more of our LoTR GTs
this
year and may have seen the variety of different formats we used over
the
year when it came to points values and number of games.

For Las Vegas we ran with 7 games and 500 points.
For Chicago we ran with 5 games and 500 points.
For Baltimore we ran with 5 games and 600 points.

We've heard a lot of "conflicting" thoughts about the best way to go
forward
with our LoTR GTs for 2008, so rather than make a poorly informed,
arbitrary
decision we thought we'd ask you, the players, what you would like to
see.

We would like to hear back from all of you and any other players that
we
didn't have email addresses for (I think there were around 5 from the
Chicago event and 5 from Baltimore).

The two things we need to know are:
€ How many games would you like to play at the GT: 5, 6, or 7?
€ How many points would you like the armies to be: 500, 600, or 700?

We need to have your responses by Tuesday December 18, so that gives
you two
weeks to chat amongst your local players or regular opponents and work
out
what you'd like to see. We'll go with the majority of votes on this
one.

If you know of someone who played in the GTs but did not get this
email,
please forward it to them.

Dave requests that we each send him an email and they will go by majority opinion, so let the discussion begin . . .

I am in favor of 600 point armies for next year. 5 round tournaments. Just like Baltimore. The brilliant reason I have for this is simply that I have already designed two separate 600 point armies for next year. I don't like the 7 round marathons like we had at Las Vegas. There was not enough time to finish a lot of the games with only 90 minutes per round. I DO like being on the same clock as with the main tournament as the breaks get coordinated easier.

Now one issue is whether they will have Games Day tournaments as well and how long they will be. Games Day ran at 2 hours for the last two events last year and for 600 points that may be tight in some scenarios. But I think we should try to keep the same points limit as many players may wish to use the same armies for each.
Last edited by febber on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby knitemare » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:53 am

You might consider using a poll for this as well, just to get some solid numerical data.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Angelos » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:07 am

I would like the 5 game 600 pt system best. I already have a few lists Im eager to try out.
Angelos

Postby JLeong » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:50 am

I too have been designing 600 point armies. I'll toss my vote for 5 600 point games. 500 point games wouldn't be terrible though. I've always favored this point range for my games, but I can easily adjust. There are worse things than needing 100 extra points of miniatures!

I vaguely remember some noise about a Chicago GT and CHicago GD tournament being separate events. Do I remember incorrectly? If I didn't I'll toss a vote up there for having two events!
JLeong

Postby BrentS » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 am

I'd be in favor of 5 games @ 600 pts as well. Like many of you, I've been planning on 600pt armies myself. Although to be honest, I'd be interested in seeing 700pt armies in the future as well.

I think we should take advantage of this opportunity to weigh in on other issues as well (Like Josh mentioned with the GT and GD events).
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:29 am

I'm not in favor of 700 point tournaments for the National Circuit. It opens the door to ridiculous forces in my opinion. I did receive an email and my response will likely include a line about "looking favorably upon separate Chicago GT and GD events (elsewhere too, but Chicago is my goal haha).
JLeong

Postby BostonNazgul » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:10 pm

Make sure to mention senario concerns as well when you think about your email. A lot of the players here have voiced concerns over certain ones and any input on that would allow them to make for a more enjoyable GT.

Also, i had been kicking this aroud in my head, it may be too much to have at a GT or too complicated, but maybe have a sixth game, thats sorta off the record, as a bonus. The game would be a 2v2 game, with randomly assigned teammates (taking into consideration army themes) might be fun, might be too much, just something. Also, have a seperate award for it, kinda like a Fun Game Award.
BostonNazgul

Postby JLeong » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:39 pm

That actually sounds like a cool idea. Idk if there will be time, but it does sound fun!
JLeong

Postby prion2001 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:49 pm

I'm in agreement on this as well. 600 points, 5 games. I liked having the big clock at Chicago and I would rather have some downtime between games to chat and take pictures anyway.

I don't think there has been any official word on the GamesDay tournament thing. From what I've heard it sounds like the GW staff wants to really go all out on the GT's like back in the old days. I think this could mean less manpower to run both a big GT event and a GamesDay tournament. Hopefully I'm wrong in that interpretation as I would like to see both tournaments if it can happen.

Later,

Jamie
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby febber » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:03 pm

I have added a poll as knitemare suggested with the options that I thought might be most popular, but don't limit yourself in you are interested in 5 games @ 700 or something else. Just select other and specify in your post.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
febber

Postby BrentS » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:15 pm

I still voted for 5 @ 600.
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:05 pm

5 Games at 600 points. Carry the vote
JLeong

Postby BostonNazgul » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:59 pm

make sure you carry your vote over to an email too, i dont think GW is gonna source this site as its official GT choice lol.

what is his email by the way/where is it under on the site?
BostonNazgul

Postby BrentS » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:34 am

BostonNazgul wrote:make sure you carry your vote over to an email too, i dont think GW is gonna source this site as its official GT choice lol.

what is his email by the way/where is it under on the site?

I agree. Everyone needs to respond to Dave's email. We should also consider some sort of "Chicago Club" email as well.
BrentS

Postby febber » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:02 am

Dave's email is davet@games-workshop.com

I agree that we should all send separate emails as that is what he requested for counting purposes. However, I may link to our discussion so he can review the reasons as well.

It would probably be better to send your emaail closer to the "due date" as it is less likely to be overlooked that way.
febber

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News