Does it have to be Legions?

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Do you feel you MUST play using Legions rules?

Yes
64%
No
27%
Doesn't matter to me
9%

Total votes : 11

Postby knitemare » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:57 am

JLeong wrote:I voted yes. If you know me, you'll know I can't field an unpainted army or an army without at least a moderate theme. LoME allows players to build forces well to represent any possible alliance. The only rule that I would feel more than fine nixing is the "each allied contingent must have a hero" rule. If I wanted to field an army of orcs led by the witch-king allied with Angmar, so long as the angmar army has a hero (other than the WK) , I don't think the mordor force should be forced to take a captain: the WK is sufficient.

I agree with you here. It would be nice if you could just say that the ally sent troops to help the main contingent. They understand they are being led by the hero of the primary force. That would allow for more models and a more powerful army. Having to drop 50 points on a captain, just to have the alliance, is a little much :(
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby LongFang » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:31 am

What about something like this...

The main rulebook (hardcover) has "lists" in there. What would you say to using those, but only allowing one ally with your main list?

Say for instance, you took "Elven Havens" and added "The Shire".
LongFang

Postby knitemare » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:39 am

I've never been able to look at a hardcover, so I don't know what the lists look like, but it sounds like a fine idea. Being able to have one secondary force without requiring a hero/captain from that force would be pretty neat.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:40 am

I still think Legions is the way to go. The writers have put a lot of thought (hopefully!) into which types of forces should be able to ally with another.
BrentS

Postby knitemare » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 am

BrentS wrote:I still think Legions is the way to go. The writers have put a lot of thought (hopefully!) into which types of forces should be able to ally with another.

Yea, but that is for more of a formal playing structure. There is nothing wrong with playing without LoME if it is a casual game.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:50 pm

knitemare wrote: There is nothing wrong with playing without LoME if it is a casual game.

Agreed/
BrentS

Postby Angelos » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:10 pm

BrentS wrote:
knitemare wrote: There is nothing wrong with playing without LoME if it is a casual game.

Agreed/

Exactly what I said above. I just believe that Legions needs to be used when in a competitive environment.
Angelos

Postby JLeong » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:46 pm

I like to use legions all the time :lol:
Agreed, for a friendly game, the list doesn't have to be legal, but hopefully the player has made it sensibly: No Aragorn, Elendil, Gil-galad, and Gimli combos!
JLeong

Postby LongFang » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:07 am

JLeong wrote:I like to use legions all the time :lol:
Agreed, for a friendly game, the list doesn't have to be legal, but hopefully the player has made it sensibly: No Aragorn, Elendil, Gil-galad, and Gimli combos!

Ok, but I to be fair, I was planning on using Balin, not Gimli...

:wink:
LongFang

Previous

Return to Lord of the Rings News