Does it have to be Legions?

All the latest and greatest info concerning the constant struggle and strife across Middle-earth!

Do you feel you MUST play using Legions rules?

Yes
64%
No
27%
Doesn't matter to me
9%

Total votes : 11

Does it have to be Legions?

Postby LongFang » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:29 pm

I'm just trying to get your thoughts here...

When you play Lord of the Rings, do you feel you MUST play a legions list?

Why or why not? I'm just doing a little research here for personal reasons and planning.
LongFang

Postby chicagoSWANknights » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:06 pm

sometimes it just nice to have certain models from armies u can't ally with, or don't have in ur army list. legions did set it up pretty well, but there r some things i would like to change.
chicagoSWANknights

Postby knitemare » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:26 pm

I answered the question as it was posed. I do feel that I have to play based off of the legions lists, but that is because that is what everyone else seems to be doing. If someone wanted to put together a non-LoME compliant list and play it, I don't think I would care. In fact, if I knew that was going to happen, I would probably build one as well.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:53 pm

I answered yes. However a caveat there is only for straight up points battles. If I'm playing scenarios, then I've got not issues deviating from Legions.

Unrelated, I also always prefer WYSIWYG. I've played at the shop before and they say "all Rohan having throwing spears" and that just bothers me.
BrentS

Postby febber » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Well I don't know if my opinion means as much since I'm not going to be able to play in the local events up there, but I do have some perspective having played the game for over 5 years and having seen a lot of competitive tournaments during that time.

Legions is about the 4th generation of tournament regulation I've played under. First, there was no restriction. People brought 500 points of good or evil and I did see some cheesy armies, but I still had a blast.

Then in 2004 GW issued the first army lists for the GT, and I had a blast playing in that. Those lists were the forerunners of the warhosts rules that came out a year or two later. We played a couple local tourneys using those rules and I had a blast.

Then as I mentioned in another thread summer 2004 I played in a BC league using those rules and had a blast.

And since August 2006 I've played in 4 local and 7 national tournaments using Legions, and guess what -- I had a blast each time!

What I haven't mentioned is that I've played many many scenario games using preset lists and . . . well you get the idea.

Legions is a great system for competitive tournaments but it's just one way to enjoy a great game. As much as I play competitively, I like the scenario gaming just as much and whether we use preset lists or "bring 500 points of evil" doesn't matter to me.
All-time LOTR Grand/National Tournament Record: 92-18-45 (W-L-D), 63 major victories
21 awards in 35 events inc. 5x Best Overall; 2x 2nd Overall (w/o Best General); 9x Best General
2007 National Circuit Champion
2008 National Circuit Champion
febber

Postby Angelos » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:21 pm

I believe yes, when you are playing in a competitive environment. Tihs takes away silly alliances which historically could never be possible.

Though if you're playing a fun game with a bunch of friends and you want to include something not Legions "correct" than this is fine as long as everybody is happy and the get a few non-fluffy alliances as well.

I think the Legions book was made to allow players to have a fixed set of rules to play competitively as previously you could use whatever you had lying around and wanted to play with.
Angelos

Postby thorhak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:05 pm

I think Brent summed-up things nicely...i.e. what he said! :twisted:
Mayhem in the Mountains 2014?!?!?!?! Stay tuned! Adeptus Mile High
thorhak

Postby MightyBearded1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:20 pm

Home games and friendly games ANYTHING goes with me on my Lists.
At the store or tournies I go by what the rule is.

IT would be fun from Time to Time to Have a"NO RESTRICTION " tournament where Anything goes MIX AND MATCH Game.
MightyBearded1

Postby LongFang » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:34 am

Guys,

Thank you for taking the time to take the poll and post your thoughts. You've posted some great information for me here to use.
LongFang

Postby knitemare » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:42 am

BrentS wrote:Unrelated, I also always prefer WYSIWYG. I've played at the shop before and they say "all Rohan having throwing spears" and that just bothers me.

Out of curiosity, how would you prefer this kind of thing be done? Glue little spears to each rider or horse? Maybe stick it in the base?
knitemare

Postby Angelos » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:34 am

knitemare wrote:
BrentS wrote:Unrelated, I also always prefer WYSIWYG. I've played at the shop before and they say "all Rohan having throwing spears" and that just bothers me.

Out of curiosity, how would you prefer this kind of thing be done? Glue little spears to each rider or horse? Maybe stick it in the base?

As long as its somwhere on the model, on the back or on the ground, there should be no problem.
Angelos

Postby knitemare » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:14 am

Angelos wrote:
knitemare wrote:

As long as its somwhere on the model, on the back or on the ground, there should be no problem.

That's kind of a pain. I've got 24 rangers of arnor that will ALWAYS be equipped with spears, but very few of the models actually have them sculpted on. At this point they've already been painted and based. I'll have to figure something out.
knitemare

Postby BrentS » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:31 am

knitemare wrote:That's kind of a pain. I've got 24 rangers of arnor that will ALWAYS be equipped with spears, but very few of the models actually have them sculpted on. At this point they've already been painted and based. I'll have to figure something out.

In tournament play, WYSIWYG rules so they'd have to be there for tournaments. I enjoy converting figures to do this. I glued a bunch of extra spears on my Riders to represent them.
BrentS

Postby JLeong » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:52 am

I voted yes. If you know me, you'll know I can't field an unpainted army or an army without at least a moderate theme. LoME allows players to build forces well to represent any possible alliance. The only rule that I would feel more than fine nixing is the "each allied contingent must have a hero" rule. If I wanted to field an army of orcs led by the witch-king allied with Angmar, so long as the angmar army has a hero (other than the WK) , I don't think the mordor force should be forced to take a captain: the WK is sufficient.
JLeong

Postby JLeong » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:56 am

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
JLeong

Next

Return to Lord of the Rings News