Warhammer Historical Closes

In the grim darkness of the past?

Warhammer Historical Closes

Postby RichN » Thu May 24, 2012 7:54 am

Warhammer Historical Has Now Closed
We can no longer accept any further orders for our products

We would like to thank our customers who have purchased our publications over the years and hope you will continue to get many more years of gaming enjoyment from them

If you have any queries regarding orders that have been placed with Warhammer Historical please
contact the Forge World Customer Service team

http://www.warhammer-historical.com/

Now what for Adepticon 2013? We still have our books & figures, and its not like GW paid any attention to WAB while the game was in production. On the other hand, its rather hard to bring in new players when the rule books are not available. Its possible a group of people will step to try and continue the game - we'll just have to wait and see.

We can certainly continue to run WAB events at Adepticon - but I expect there will be a lot of changes in the coming year.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Re: Warhammer Historical Closes

Postby mikebutcher » Thu May 24, 2012 10:52 am

Uh okay... Wow... So much for "love of the game". What a fluking buzz kill. I think we can still do the big game, but I don't know what rules to use at htis point, nor do I have a ton of time to investigate new ones. I personally would like somethign that plays like WAB. What I know of Hail Caeser is not so much to my liking, but admittingly I have not played a game.
I guess we should make a change prior to next year's adepticon so we can maybe grow this a bit (and pick up sponsors...:)).

Thoughts?

And I just dropped a ton of coin on a Perry English Agincourt Army. Grrrr...
mikebutcher

Postby Lordgoober » Thu May 24, 2012 11:07 am

You ever play Warmaster? HC is done by the same writer and really can be considered warmaster 3.0 in a lot of ways. That being said, I may be refocusing my EIR army that I was working towards WAB into a HC army.
Lordgoober

Postby RichN » Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 am

Don't panic Mike. I'm sure we can keep using WAB for the big games.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby mikebutcher » Thu May 24, 2012 11:48 am

RichN wrote:Don't panic Mike. I'm sure we can keep using WAB for the big games.

and I'll bring a towel... :D
mikebutcher

Postby Nostromo » Thu May 24, 2012 5:00 pm

I saw this today too- and got to wondering what about next year.
My biggest dissapointment- as my Claymore Castings sets of Schiltrons and Border Archers arrived today!
is the fact that there was a Hundred Year War Supplement that had gone past editing and was up for release schedule.

I find it hard to believe that the Legends System is just dropped as well.....weird-
I see a possibility that ForgeWorld will pick it up and the WHH banner is just dropped- but that is a stretch I agree.

There are a couple more options...

Robb Broom, ex-WAB staff, just released War and Conquest, and from reviews it is WAB3- I find the cover art a real bad choice, which makes me question the author on other choices! but that is just me!

There is also GEG's Clash of Empires...
Nostromo

Postby socalwarhammer » Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 pm

In light of the events at WHH, there are really 2 clear options. Either we go with Clash of Empires which is very close to WAB and contains only a few rules changes or we go with War and Conquest, which does have some significant differences, but plays close enough to WAB to keep us all happy. I actually just interviewed Rob Broom yesterday for the podcast and we talked about his game. Either one will be a good replacement for WAB. I will miss WAB, but we probably need to focus on a new rules set for Adepticon 2013. Either game system is equally desirable to me, so I will leave it all up to the group to decide. :D
Only the dead have seen the end of war....Plato

Check out my blogs at http://nwhistoricalwargames.wordpress.com/ & http://gigharbor40k.wordpress.com/
socalwarhammer

Postby Matt-J2 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:50 pm

I haven't had a chance to play the other systems yet but I think for Doubles next year I'll follow whatever we run for singles. I'd accept input though if folks want to stay with WAB or run a different system than Singles.
Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Thu May 24, 2012 10:15 pm

My concern with these others systems is the lack of listsavailable
Nostromo

Postby socalwarhammer » Fri May 25, 2012 11:44 am

In regards to which game system has the most army lists available, I think that would have to be Clash of Empires. With the Rise and Fall of Persia and Age of Ravens, it does seem to be going the right way. In addition, dozens or army lists from other time periods are available free online. :D

I have thought about it since yesterday and talked to a couple of guys in my regular WAB group. We will probably be making the shift to COE instead of some of the other systems out there. The consensus is that they all love WAB and COE is the closest thing to WAB, so they feel most comfortable going that way.
Only the dead have seen the end of war....Plato

Check out my blogs at http://nwhistoricalwargames.wordpress.com/ & http://gigharbor40k.wordpress.com/
socalwarhammer

Postby Matt-J2 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:52 pm

I agree that CoE probably has the most lists right now, and I'm planning to pick it up since it's on sale until the end of June due to WHH closing down, but it's a valid point that it doesn't have as much as WAB. I think the most popular periods/armies do have lists in all 3 other rulesets, or will soon(Crusades for CoE is due out this year, for example) but I haven't looked very hard at any of them yet.
Matt-J2

Postby aergren » Fri May 25, 2012 9:23 pm

They only problem I have with going to different system is that I do not know of any other system that has list for my Teutonic knights or any other later medieval armies. Now I do have an ancient Greek army so I can do pretty much any game. I would vote however to come to some sort of agreement soon so that people can learn a new game and build new lists.

Abe
aergren

Postby aergren » Fri May 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Well I am going to pull my foot out of my mouth because COE has a Teutonic army list.
aergren

Postby Nostromo » Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 pm

No Hundred Years War lists!
No Goths and no Pagan Rus

So going to another system makes picking my army project easier...

My rus become Vikings or focus on late Rome...
Nostromo

Postby netter » Tue May 29, 2012 4:07 am

I have to agree that moving to another rules system is probably in order. I love WAB. However, without further support it has limited growth potential (and unlimited contraction potential). I don't even have AoA2 yet, so I can't even keep up on that front.

I have some issues with CoE but I can set those aside if it becomes the game to run with (and I own the rule book already).

I have only read and heard a bit about War and Conquest. I hate casting judgement on a system too early but I really, really don't know if I'd be interested in that for a tournament game. Hail Caesar, from what I've been told, is a great game for non-tournament play, but lacks sophisticated elements, like point values, to balance armies.

I can't believe they closed. How hard is it to keep up a web site and a small inventory of books, anyway? They could have run it with an intern or something.

John
netter

Next

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles