BTGG and Wedge Formation

In the grim darkness of the past?

BTGG and Wedge Formation

Postby mikebutcher » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:01 am

A couple of ?

I am Delving into making a Germanic list from BTGG (mainly to use the awesome figs from Musketeer) in the future.

1. Can all Cavalry and Infantry from BTGG use Wedge Formations, there is so much going on in the book that I can't tell if it is a rule for certain lists, etc. or not?

2. Related ?: Can Shieldwall Cav use wedges or does it have be in the supplement (I would think not, but I had to ask). Not trying to be cheesy, but it would be awesome if that was an option for my slow-a** Teghn Cav.

Thanks
mikebutcher

Re: BTGG and Wedge Formation

Postby RichN » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 am

Wedge needs to be part of the unit special rules to use. Like the Thematic BZ, Tagmata Kataphraktoi have Blunt nosed Wedge listed in their rules.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby mikebutcher » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks!
mikebutcher

Postby Matt-J2 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:13 pm

You want slow mounted Saxons, run the Age of Arthur list. You have to pay points to get M7 horses instead of M6 ponies! :wink:
Matt-J2

BTGG Arggggggh!

Postby mikebutcher » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:36 am

This book is like stereo instructions...

I would like to build Lombards, I am confused on what I can do with the infantry...

Germanic tribes can mix Elite warriors with Freeman (like saxons), which I would like to do, also you cannot mix elite with but the Lombard army notes state that all freeman are light infantry. Is the intent that Lombards can't have mixed Infantry units with elites or is it just poorly written?

Just want to know before I layout cash for models...
mikebutcher

Postby RichN » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Looking over the Lombard list, I think you are going to lose out on the combined units. Light infantry is not allowed to mix, and all of the Lombard Freeman are Light. Might not be the most accurate of solutions, but you could check the Army Builder files and see how they implemented it.

Aaron ran into this same problem with his Gothic list last year. We had a huge discussion about how to apply the 50-75 mix ratio between elite and freemen. It went round and round without being constructive. In the end, I just had him send me a list to pre-approve for Adepticon.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby mikebutcher » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:17 am

RichN wrote:Looking over the Lombard list, I think you are going to lose out on the combined units. Light infantry is not allowed to mix, and all of the Lombard Freeman are Light. Might not be the most accurate of solutions, but you could check the Army Builder files and see how they implemented it.

Aaron ran into this same problem with his Gothic list last year. We had a huge discussion about how to apply the 50-75 mix ratio between elite and freemen. It went round and round without being constructive. In the end, I just had him send me a list to pre-approve for Adepticon.

Sadly, I do not have an army builder (V2) file for BTGG.

Fair enough. I could just avoid the issue by taking a different list from the germanic tribes... or very CAV heavy with light infantry to support as there is no way I am going to plop down the points needed to field a large enough unit of elites on their own... I like how the lombards can take kontarians (sp?) on some of the cav units... and white leggings... :wink:
mikebutcher

Postby Nostromo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:29 pm

MIke-
the early Byzantine lists are interesting as well- as there was often lots of Goth Cavalry in Byzantine Armies- but more options with what to do with infantry.

But I agree with Rich's interpretation of the Lombards- and I tend to view the Germanics in the least restrictive light!
Nostromo

Postby mikebutcher » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Nostromo wrote:MIke-
But I agree with Rich's interpretation of the Lombards- and I tend to view the Germanics in the least restrictive light!

:wink:

I am looking at Early Byzantines too, I think I could use the Late Romans from Musketeer for them, assuming the line is expanded to included cavalry. I like the combined infantry/archers rules and the musketeer figs would work awesome for them.
mikebutcher

Postby Nostromo » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Mike- Remember Justinian used Goths more than Domestic Cav- so Musketeer already has them!

I might be doing the same thing, as I don't see as much effort going to a new WAB army this year....
Nostromo

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles