Will Clash of Empires replace WAB in 2012?

In the grim darkness of the past?

Postby Nostromo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:31 am

All these ex-GW employees putting out GW like rulesets for ancients- now all play a bit like WAB-
Too early for me to give up on WAB 2. It is a great book and with the Errata it is pretty complete. Now the errata could have been avoided- but here we are.

I looked at Clash of Empires and to me the lists they have up currently look uninspired. And it is agreed that Black Powder ancients is for friendly games and won't have tournament type lists.
If you love your WAB type characters, they surely won't play the same in Clash or BPA- or any other system going with the new kids in town.

Seems almost wacky and surely premature to talk about jumping the WAB ship to something without a fan base and yet untested...

But maybe that is just me, and I had a real good time with the WAB2.0 this year...so I am biased?
Nostromo

Postby RichN » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:43 am

Nostromo wrote:But maybe that is just me, and I had a real good time with the WAB2.0 this year...so I am biased?

I think we all had a good time this year with WAB. Looked like a lot of good games were played. Rules questions were minor - the same sorts of things that come up while playing pick up games.

What gets me is supporting FW - they seem to go out of their way to alienate their customers. That said, I'm not jumping ship yet. I still prefer the WAB style army book with list, history and photos all in one package.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Matt-J2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:09 pm

RichN wrote:What gets me is supporting FW - they seem to go out of their way to alienate their customers.

I feel the same way. Now that I've seen more of CoE, I'm leaning towards picking it up. That's not to say I'll abandon WAB, there's still plenty I like such as Age of Arthur and El Cid(my two faves, especially if I ever got to run a campaign for them). It's just that so far, it appears FW doesn't like WAB as much as we do.
At a glance it also looks like armies will cross opver fairly well between the two games so I could run the same figs no matter which rules we dceide to play on a given occasion.
Matt-J2

Postby RichN » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Matt-J2 wrote:
RichN wrote:What gets me is supporting FW - they seem to go out of their way to alienate their customers.

I feel the same way. Now that I've seen more of CoE, I'm leaning towards picking it up. That's not to say I'll abandon WAB, there's still plenty I like such as Age of Arthur and El Cid(my two faves, especially if I ever got to run a campaign for them). It's just that so far, it appears FW doesn't like WAB as much as we do.
At a glance it also looks like armies will cross opver fairly well between the two games so I could run the same figs no matter which rules we dceide to play on a given occasion.

I'm really hoping the rules are similar enough to allow army books to cross systems. It starting to sound like this might be the case.
RichN

Postby Matt-J2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:55 pm

The stats are certainly different, but I don't know if it's enough to hamper efforts to cross supplements. The rest looks pretty close, and even in cases where both systems have supplements for the same theater/period it looks like unit types match and a 2500pt CoE list will be close enough to a 2000pt WAB list that it wouldn't take a big investment to run either using the same basic setup.
There;s certainly some interesting rules and effects in CoE but it does lose a bit of the individual flavor that WAB has. I have the feeling I'll be wanting to play both. :)
Matt-J2

Postby pipeline » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi! I'm Pipeline. I'm a complete ancients noob.

I pre-ordered CoE because it was easy, the price was right, and the guys running the show are extremely accessible and responsive on their forums.

I hope to connect with some Chicago locals and get my feet wet. I also predict that if there is a CoE event at Adepticon next year, I'll be playing in it.

Hopefully my noob .02 is of some value to the discussion.

Thanks!
pipeline

Postby PsychosisPC » Sat May 07, 2011 10:53 am

I have no interest in Hail Caeser at all. It is not a tournament style book, but bring and battle style, and the rules do not impress me. I have Black Powder book, and wished it was a much more different set of rules, it is the reason I just bought Sharp Practice. Although, it does have a lot of pretty pictures.

In La Crosse, the only reason I was able to get people to play WAB is that they had played Warhammer Fantasy Battles and many are suffering from an 8th edition animosity thing. It was a very easy transition for most everyone, and as a group we all enjoy it very much, it is what Fantasy should have been. I plan to continue playing it, until there is something more like it.
PsychosisPC

Postby RichN » Sat May 07, 2011 1:45 pm

So far I've heard very little support for CoE, with most folks seeming to prefer WAB as the tournament system of choice for Adepticon 2012. There is still plenty of time for people to make their preferences known, but I think WAB will remain for the time being.

As for Hail Caesar, I don't think anyone is making a case to use this rule set for anything other than big battle type games. I have the book on order & expect I'll put on some sort of HC demo/walk up game in 2012.
RichN

Previous

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles