General 'Big Game' Adepticon X Discussion

In the grim darkness of the past?

Postby Matt-J2 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am

Thogrid wrote:@ Matt...you mentioned using J. Jonas' material. Do you mean the Mac-Successors sample lists from Ancient Battles.com back in Nov 2010? If so, those are the exact lists I'm considering too!

I believe that's what I have. It's material he wrote for the supplement, got fed up with FW, published online, and then was ordered to take it down shortly thereafter.
Matt-J2

Postby Thogrid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Matt-J2 wrote: I believe that's what I have. It's material he wrote for the supplement, got fed up with FW, published online, and then was ordered to take it down shortly thereafter.

Yep...that's the document I have. I'm thinking a Seleucid vs. Ptolemaic match-up would be pretty awesome and provide lots of eye candy.
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Postby Matt-J2 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:00 pm

I agree, it would make a good spectacle. Since I'm already planning on doing Seleucids anyway I'd toss my hat in to sign up for that side. Obviously this far out there's a lot of details to sort and things can change, but I think I'd like to participate if I can and if this is what you decide to run.
Matt-J2

Postby RichN » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:18 am

Maybe this will serve as a vote for Successors.
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=11087

Kits are due out this summer. And the Warlord rep at Adepticon was willing to help out with events for Adepticon X....
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Nostromo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 pm

I have always wanted to do Ptolemaic Army!
On Cleopatra
Nostromo

Postby Thogrid » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:03 pm

RichN wrote:Maybe this will serve as a vote for Successors.
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=11087

<snipped the picture>

Kits are due out this summer. And the Warlord rep at Adepticon was willing to help out with events for Adepticon X....

Aye Laddie, that'd be the truth of it! Those do look very nice indeed. So Rich...how do we apply for this support? 8)

Alright then Gents...let's make the WAB big display game a Sucessors' game matching Seleucids versus Ptolemaics. We'll use the document Matt-J2 and I were discussing for the army lists...PM me with your email address if you need a copy. My thinking right now is each player brings a 2,000 point army to the game...and we'll start with 3 armies per side. We can expand if need be if there are more folks interested in providing 2,000 point forces. Likewise, if there are folks that want to play but are not up for the challenge of an entire army but want to contribute a unit or two (or more), we can work them in. If we have players that want to play but are not in a position to contribute troops, we can probably figure something out there as well...I need to think about that as well.

I need to do some more thinking, but at this point I'm thinking each army is restricted from taking a King and/or an Army Standard Bearer. You still need to bring a character that will act as your wing/division commander. Each side will be given extra points (on top of the 6,000 total) to bring an overall Army General and ASB. We'll determine one player from each side (perhaps volunteers or perhaps randomly selected) to act as the overall Army General/ASB...well in advance so those figures can be painted up in time.

At this point, I believe I have the following guys:

Seleucids:

Matt-J2
Chris Southard

Ptolemaics:

Nostromo
Merle (for now)

I will provide a 2,000 point force as well...based on whatever we need to balance things out.

More info to follow...but at least you now know what match up we'll be doing so you can get to painting! :lol:

Thanks Gents!
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Matt-J2 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:34 am

Excellent, now to get to work! :)
Matt-J2

Postby DavePauwels » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:55 am

I couldn't have picked a better period myself.

You have my vote...and my pike. I stand firmly on the Ptolemaic side.
DavePauwels

Postby DavePauwels » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:05 am

My only personal concern now is that, committing to 2K of Successors for X means I will DEFINITELY postpone any ACW to 2013. But that means we'll see a glorious Gettysburg anniversary game at Acon XI.
DavePauwels

Postby mikebutcher » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:50 pm

ahhhh sh****t those are cool and would make the army affordable. I do not think I could build another army in time, but if my greeks could roll as mercs. than I can help out.
mikebutcher

Postby Thogrid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:47 pm

DavePauwels wrote:My only personal concern now is that, committing to 2K of Successors for X means I will DEFINITELY postpone any ACW to 2013. But that means we'll see a glorious Gettysburg anniversary game at Acon XI.

Awesome then Dave! Will add you to the Ptolemaic rolls.

I totally understand postponing the BP ACW game until AC XI...the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg will be awesome! I still plan on working on units of ACW troops over the course of the year though. I imagine I'll want a little change from Hoplites now and then. Tell you what Dave...if I can get enough units finished by AC X...and Chris is willing to bring his troops...would you be interested in a smaller game of BP ACW at AC X? Maybe Sunday night?
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Thogrid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:49 pm

mikebutcher wrote:ahhhh sh****t those are cool and would make the army affordable. I do not think I could build another army in time, but if my greeks could roll as mercs. than I can help out.

Let me take a more in depth look at the lists Mike...I would guess we can fit your greeks in there somewhere! :D
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Thogrid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm

So...as we stand now we have:

Seleucids:

1. Matt-J2
2. Chris Southard

Ptolemaics:

1. Nostromo
2. Dave P

*Mike B. willing to support a force with some mercenary Greeks. For now, I will start work on phalangite units and decide which side I need to come down...if need be.

Who's with us??!!?? :lol:

Here we go!!
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby RichN » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Any advice for suitable Seleucids versus Ptolemaics models? I know of Gripping Beast, Foundry, Aventine, Warlord, Battlestandard. Is there a difference between Macedonian and Successor? If so, will it matter?
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby DavePauwels » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:28 pm

Now, I'm in the process of checking to make sure I'm right, but if we are looking at an early Successor battle, most Macedonian phalangites will work. It isn't until later where we see a real difference in equipment/appearance. If we're sticking to the early period (which I think we should), any of those companies should work, I think. Crusader also makes Successors.

Honestly, this is more Hank's period than mine. Maybe we can get him to comment.

Dave[/b]
DavePauwels

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles