General 'Big Game' Adepticon X Discussion

In the grim darkness of the past?

General 'Big Game' Adepticon X Discussion

Postby DavePauwels » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:47 am

Okay, instead of a group of disparate threads, I thought we could talk generally about the potential 'Big Game' (we need a better title...like ALL OUT WAR or GREAT BATTLES) projects.

I was doing some more reading and talking with a few people and I'm starting to think that we push for two big projects for X. Then, if they go well, we can add another in 13. Plus, if I postpone the ACW game until 2013, we could do a Gettysburg anniversary battle (dibs on the 8th Illinois cav).

Also, pushing ACW back would allow me greater leeway to help both Rich and Merle. I could even co-run the Ancients game with Merle, if he'd have me.

DP
DavePauwels

Postby Thogrid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:39 am

Just to bring the info from the other "big game" thread into this one:

DavePauwels wrote: First, I love the idea of you organizing this, Merle. You would certainly be my first choice if I were getting my ideal organizers- you and Rich are perfectly suited.

Second, I love the idea of you using WAB and Rich using Hail Caesar! This way, potentially both popular systems get displayed.

Third, if I had no Adepticon committments, I would endeavor to participate in all three 'Big Games.' But with the Hobby Seminar duties, I feel like I can manage the time for two of these (one being my Black Powder game). I will wait to decide based on what period/battle you choose. Though I feel like I should reciprocate your help with the ACW game!

Thanks Dave...on all counts. But you shouldn't feel you *need* to reciprocate at all. I know you and Rich already have a ton of other duties with AC X already...so no sweat.

DavePauwels wrote: Britons and Romans would be great, but it would also be the obvious choice. It would look amazing, but I suspect that it wouldn't be completely original in terms of what people have seen before. I'm a big fan of Boudicca and her revolt, but I would just consider doing something slightly more esoteric. A Successor battle would be very striking and probably look totally alien to the non-historical gamer. The same goes for any earlier Greek battle.

Hmmm...I don't know Dave, you might well be right...but my thought is I'd want it to be somewhat familiar to the average "passer-by" so that when they see it, something jogs their brain waves. Then again...folks might be "jogged" by great looking pike blocks too. To be honest, a lot of what we end up doing will highly depend on what sorts of contribution figures wise can be made. If the spark of interest isn't enough to cause folks to paint up new stuff, we'll have to depend on existing collections. Successors or Greeks may be the ticket as far as others collections being made available for a big display game goes.

RichN wrote: Thanks for picking up the ball on this one Merle.

No sweat...as long as I can swing it next year. My current Boss retires next January, so I'm hoping to have the vacation time scheduled long before whoever my next boss is comes on board so I can say "...but I've had this trip on the calendar for a long, long time!" :P

mikebutcher wrote: And here I am pricing out 2K of Berbers with Musketeer Minis... Hoping for Crusades (EL Cid, etc.) for the singles tourney theme.

I could support the Greek theme easily (and like it too). I'm sure I could put together some celts if need be.

As Merle said, a lot depends on when the event is held in relation to the other WAB events (And when Adepticon is held next year, it tends to move about a lot...) Maybe Friday night or as a side to the Doubles on Sunday?

Mike...by all means, collect those Berbers! You can whip me with them again next year! :lol: We're still in the discussion phases and who knows...we may end up not doing any of this. I will say, though, I'd rather not do it on Sunday as a side to the WAB doubles...definitely don't want to take away from the doubles. My thought is, if we do all three, to do all three on Friday or perhaps do two of the three on Friday and then the third after the singles on Saturday night.

BostonNazgul wrote: I think Adepticon 2012 should just be referred to as "Adepticon X" from now on, or convert to the roman numeral system.
{snip}
For the passer by, I think Rome vs celts would be a great choice.

Jeremy...I totally agree...I'm all sorts of into short-hand. You'll catch me often typing "AC X" from here out probably. I'm glad to hear you like the Romans! :D Would love to have you and your figs playing!
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Re: General 'Big Game' Adepticon X Discussion

Postby Thogrid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:12 am

DavePauwels wrote:Okay, instead of a group of disparate threads, I thought we could talk generally about the potential 'Big Game' (we need a better title...like ALL OUT WAR or GREAT BATTLES) projects.

I was doing some more reading and talking with a few people and I'm starting to think that we push for two big projects for X. Then, if they go well, we can add another in 13. Plus, if I postpone the ACW game until 2013, we could do a Gettysburg anniversary battle (dibs on the 8th Illinois cav).

Also, pushing ACW back would allow me greater leeway to help both Rich and Merle. I could even co-run the Ancients game with Merle, if he'd have me.

DP

Ah, heck...I should've fully read this post first. :roll:

What if we call them "big display game" projects?

Oh no! I certainly don't want to step on Dave's or Rich's toes on this! You two were certainly thinking along the lines of a big display game(s) before I opened my mouth! I have to be honest, I was thinking along the same lines on the way home tonight about this. Are we thinking too big with three games? I think we can do three...but we'll need help to do it!

Maybe if we do a poll to see what folks are interested in a) playing in and b) providing support to?

*IF* we did wait until 2013 for ACW though...basing a game, or games, on Gettysburg would be WAY COOL! 8) Heck, we could do 1 July 1863 (say Reynolds on McPherson Ridge at the very opening of the battle or the Confederate attack from the north near Oak Ridge) in the morning on Friday, then 2 July 1863 in the evening on Friday (Culp's Hill, Sickles III Corps push in the Peach Orchard, The Wheatfield or Little Roundtop and Devil's Den), then 3 July 1863 on Saturday night with Pickett's Charge on The Copse of Trees and the High Water Mark! How cool would that be??

Oh...and Dave, if we do wait on the ACW game...by all means I'll take all the help I can get! :lol:
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby RichN » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:57 am

I see no reason why we can't run 3 different big games this coming year. All we need is a strong champion to step up for each game. Trying to fit all three in to the schedule with all the tournaments will be my problem to solve.

I'm a bit proponent of "if you built it, they will come". We've had more than a hundred different games in the Open Gaming area over the years, and only a very small handful had no participation at the convention. Most have started with small seeds and grown into something big.

Maybe we start ACW small this year with 1 table and a show/teach approach and go from there. Maybe we find a champion who wants to go all in the first year. In any case - we keep brain storming until the date for 2012 is set & people can start making commitments to the convention.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby mikebutcher » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Any idea of when adepticon will be next year? I ask because I have an non-negotiable event April 12-15 next year... Easter is April 8th, 2012. Every year it is tough for me to make Adepticon, would love to make it 3 years in a row... If the event is clear of my work commitments, I would be willing to help out in some way. I would love for it it be in march, yes I would! :wink:
mikebutcher

Postby Thogrid » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:32 pm

I think Rich is right, Dave. We can do three. Perhaps we scale back the ACW game a tad. What if we use the "Daybreak at Hangman's Creek " scenario in BP as the basis (page 146 IIRC)? Maybe scale the Brigade CMDs back a touch to only two Brigades per side and only three regiments per Brigade...perhaps a Cav unit in there somewhere?

I've talked with Chris Southard and he has 4 24 man Union foot regiments already in various stages...one finished, two started and one scraped and primed. Likewise, I should be able to supply four to six foot regiments within a year...perhaps more, depending on what route we take for a WAB game...and would paint both Federals and Confederates.

I think it is doable! :wink:
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby DavePauwels » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:20 am

Okay, I guess you're right. I'll run a Black Powder "test game" in 2012, with a limited number of participants. I'll come up with a "fictional" scenario (probably based on some engagement), much like the BP scenario.

I won't push for commitments, per se. We'll see who's interested and try and get a few people to do a couple regiments each (24 man units).

Then we can run it as a demo either Friday night or Saturday later, after the Clash of Empires tournament :wink:

Then, if it goes well, we'll plan on a larger project (Gettysburg) for 2013.

DP

Now- Merle, you must decide what Ancients battle you're doing! Not really, but I'd like to know. I need to plan my painting literally 365 days ahead of time.
DavePauwels

Postby Thogrid » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm

DavePauwels wrote: Okay, I guess you're right. I'll run a Black Powder "test game" in 2012, with a limited number of participants. I'll come up with a "fictional" scenario (probably based on some engagement), much like the BP scenario.

I won't push for commitments, per se. We'll see who's interested and try and get a few people to do a couple regiments each (24 man units).

Dave...I think one of the main draws to BP (and apparently HC for that matter)...at least to me...is the whole idea of a "big game" with teams of players hootin' and hollerin' and having a great time. Certainly the way my old gaming group played games...so maybe I'm reminiscing a little here...but I think we need to keep the BP game fairly large to keep that "feel". Maybe not ten or twelve regiments per side...but six to eight per side? Your call...totally. I know you just wrote you "won't push for committments"...but I will tell you I have recruited Chris Southard and his four Union foot regiments (24 man each) for the game and I plan on supplying four to six regiments of foot and some artillery (two or three) for the game. I have more than enough figs and can do either Federals, Confederates or a couple of both. Depending on how the other projects sort out, I may be able to do more in the next year. (please see below)

DavePauwels wrote:Then we can run it as a demo either Friday night or Saturday later, after the Clash of Empires tournament :wink:

Then, if it goes well, we'll plan on a larger project (Gettysburg) for 2013.

Smarty pants! :lol: Gettysburg would be AWESOME in 2013!! 8)

DavePauwels wrote:Now- Merle, you must decide what Ancients battle you're doing! Not really, but I'd like to know. I need to plan my painting literally 365 days ahead of time.

Well...I just offered another idea over on Pat's "Will Clash of Empires Replace WAB in 2012" thread

forums/viewtopic.php?p=52170#52170

If Pat is willing, perhaps he could cat herd a CoE big demo game project instead of me doing a WAB one...and then I would offer to run the WAB Doubles next year at AC X.

Pending that sorting out...and if I'm still on for a WAB "big game", I've been thinking about what would "catch the eye" of other AC attendees as they pass by. I'm thinking that it needs to be something familiar yet different to what our 40K/WFB/WarmaHordes/FoW bretheren are playing. So, I've slid my train of thought a little. I'm leaning toward doing a battle based around the opening battle scene in the movie Gladiator. Still EIR and Hairy Naked Barbarians (HNBs)...but Ancient Germans instead of Celts. I know you (Dave) feel it might be better to be more esoteric...but I'm concerned if we go too esoteric we won't "catch the eye"...because it won't be familiar enough to cause the mind to say "hey, what's that?" as the guys see the game out of the corner of their eye as they walk by. Perhaps I'm putting too much thought into it? :roll:

I'm open to comments...please...as well as any offers of support from those interested.
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby RichN » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Honestly, I don't know if anyone would notice the different between Ancient Germans and Celts. From table distance, they will all look like Hairy Naked Barbarians (HNBs). My question for you is - what sort of eye candy do you have planned? Big squadrons of chariots! War Elephants! Romans in testudo! Flaming roller balls! Where in the world is Sparticus!
RichN

Postby Thogrid » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Yeah...you're probably right on the Ancient Germans versus Celts Rich...they're all HNBs. Part of the reason to look at Ancient Germans (AGs) vs. Celts is the AGs can be stubborn and take throwing/thrusting spears...which adds points and thus fewer models required compared to Celts. :twisted: Which probably also plays into Dave's concerns with HNBs.

On the eye candy front...that was part of the original thought for the Boudicca Revolt...lots of chariots zipping around! Of course the first thought I had was elephants in a Successors match up! I figured a few Pachaderms running loose on the table would look AWESOME! But, no real response from anyone on that match up.

Aw, geez...I don't know. :roll:
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm not really a big game kind of guy, but Successors is interesting. I'm already looking at doing Successors with some J.Jonas material for my lists until(if) the supplement is released for WAB. The problem for me would be painting an army/segment to match an outside standard of style. I know I can do the quality, I just chafe at the constraints mentioned in other threads.
Matt-J2

Postby RichN » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Successors could work well. There are plenty of people with pike armies to draw from. Lots of flashy colors, Elephants and Scythed Chariots running around.

@ Matt - it would be Merle's call for Ancients, but I don't see a need to be matchy-matchy over the whole army. These are still people's armies and I would not want to dictate paint schemes. Having the bases match would be a pleasant bonus - maybe we can get by with matching movement trays.
RichN

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm

If that's the case, then I'd upgrade myself to Interested. Matching basing style I could probably do. I may have just read the other threads wrong as well. I've already been tinkering with lists for Seleucids, using a mix of Crusader and GB models. Oh, and an armoured ellie from 1st corps, I've been wanting to do them since we decided to start playing WAB.
Matt-J2

Postby Thogrid » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:50 am

Matt-J2 wrote:I'm not really a big game kind of guy, but Successors is interesting. I'm already looking at doing Successors with some J.Jonas material for my lists until(if) the supplement is released for WAB. The problem for me would be painting an army/segment to match an outside standard of style. I know I can do the quality, I just chafe at the constraints mentioned in other threads.

Rich is exactly right guys...I don't plan on every model and every base being done the exact same way. There is NO "need to be matchy-matchy over the whole army". I apologize if my earlier posts came across with that much of a Draconian tone. :oops:

My intent was merely to point out I don't want figs that are half done or poorly painted as we hope to make these "display games" eye-catching.

@ Matt...you mentioned using J. Jonas' material. Do you mean the Mac-Successors sample lists from Ancient Battles.com back in Nov 2010? If so, those are the exact lists I'm considering too!

@ the crew in general...would the Mac-Successors be of interest for a big WAB display game?
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby muwhe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:24 am

A Successor game would be AWESOME!
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Next

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles