"Big Games" and an Ancients Version at AdeptiCon X

In the grim darkness of the past?

"Big Games" and an Ancients Version at AdeptiCon X

Postby Thogrid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:50 am

I'm not 100% sure yet if I can (work/family schedules...and AdeptiCon X dates), but I am considering taking up the mantle on this one. I'm leaning toward a "big game" based on the Battle of Watling Street...Boudica's Revolt in 61 AD in Roman Britain...using WAB as the rules set. However, I am also considering something involving the Peloponnesian War (Athens and her allies versus Sparta and her allies) or perhaps Alexander's Successors (how about those elephants!!!!).

To my mind, the "average gamer" will surely recognize Early Imperial Romans and Hairy Naked Celts fighting it out. So with the idea being to "expose" Ancients gaming to our fantasy, 40K, FoW and Warmachine bretheren, I think this would make a good "demonstration game". But, I also recognize that the other two possibilities could also work. I'd very much appreciate folks commmenting on these ideas...I may be the only one interested in these ideas/periods! :?

I envision 5,000 to 6,000 points (in WAB terms) per side with 4-6 players per side. This wouldn't be a "participation game" or a game to teach players how to play WAB...but rather a display game that is visually stunning and makes other con attendees stop and ask "what is this?" The guys playing would most likely be playing with their own toy soldiers...and I'd want the figures painted/based in a fairly uniform way and painted to a pretty high standard to reinforce the "wow...what's this?" factor.

Help me sort these questions out please?

Would you be interested in such a game? If so, which time period would you be most interested in...EIR vs. Celts or the Peloponnesian War (Athens vs. Sparta) or something involving Alexander's Successors?

Would you play in such a game?

Would you be able to support it in some way? If so, how?

Thanks!
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Postby RichN » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks for picking up the ball on this one Merle.

Imperial Romans vs. Celts came up in other discussions about the big game. The period is very accessible to people to might not already be familiar with ancients gaming and a lot of gamers already have large collections of these sorts of figures - making this sort of thing easier to pull off.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby DavePauwels » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:49 pm

First, I love the idea of you organizing this, Merle. You would certainly be my first choice if I were getting my ideal organizers- you and Rich are perfectly suited.

Second, I love the idea of you using WAB and Rich using Hail Caesar! This way, potentially both popular systems get displayed.

Third, if I had no Adepticon committments, I would endeavor to participate in all three 'Big Games.' But with the Hobby Seminar duties, I feel like I can manage the time for two of these (one being my Black Powder game). I will wait to decide based on what period/battle you choose. Though I feel like I should reciprocate your help with the ACW game!

Britons and Romans would be great, but it would also be the obvious choice. It would look amazing, but I suspect that it wouldn't be completely original in terms of what people have seen before. I'm a big fan of Boudicca and her revolt, but I would just consider doing something slightly more esoteric. A Successor battle would be very striking and probably look totally alien to the non-historical gamer. The same goes for any earlier Greek battle.

Of course, it means the participating players have to put in a little more work getting appropriate troops, but a year is a long time (relatively).

Something to think about. In the end, it's your call and I am sure I can do 1,000 points of something (especially something cool).

Dave
DavePauwels

Postby mikebutcher » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Hmmm,
And here I am pricing out 2K of Berbers with Musketeer Minis... Hoping for Crusades (EL Cid, etc.) for the singles tourney theme.

I could support the Greek theme easily (and like it too). I'm sure I could put together some celts if need be.

As Merle said, a lot depends on when the event is held in relation to the other WAB events (And when Adepticon is held next year, it tends to move about a lot...) Maybe Friday night or as a side to the Doubles on Sunday?
mikebutcher

Postby BostonNazgul » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 am

I think Adepticon 2012 should just be referred to as "Adepticon X" from now on, or convert to the roman numeral system.

With so many WAB big games, regular WAB, legends seas/west, and my lord of the rings, I am so looking forward to Adepticon X.

Being a newer player to WAB, I had two choices when pciking my army for last year, roman legions or medieval. No doubt I am still attracted to the armies of rome, something about the large shields and red...

For the passer by, I think Rome vs celts would be a great choice.
BostonNazgul

Postby Thogrid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:37 am

DavePauwels wrote: First, I love the idea of you organizing this, Merle. You would certainly be my first choice if I were getting my ideal organizers- you and Rich are perfectly suited.

Second, I love the idea of you using WAB and Rich using Hail Caesar! This way, potentially both popular systems get displayed.

Third, if I had no Adepticon committments, I would endeavor to participate in all three 'Big Games.' But with the Hobby Seminar duties, I feel like I can manage the time for two of these (one being my Black Powder game). I will wait to decide based on what period/battle you choose. Though I feel like I should reciprocate your help with the ACW game!

Thanks Dave...on all counts. But you shouldn't feel you *need* to reciprocate at all. I know you and Rich already have a ton of other duties with AC X already...so no sweat.

DavePauwels wrote: Britons and Romans would be great, but it would also be the obvious choice. It would look amazing, but I suspect that it wouldn't be completely original in terms of what people have seen before. I'm a big fan of Boudicca and her revolt, but I would just consider doing something slightly more esoteric. A Successor battle would be very striking and probably look totally alien to the non-historical gamer. The same goes for any earlier Greek battle.

Hmmm...I don't know Dave, you might well be right...but my thought is I'd want it to be somewhat familiar to the average "passer-by" so that when they see it, something jogs their brain waves. Then again...folks might be "jogged" by great looking pike blocks too. To be honest, a lot of what we end up doing will highly depend on what sorts of contribution figures wise can be made. If the spark of interest isn't enough to cause folks to paint up new stuff, we'll have to depend on existing collections. Successors or Greeks may be the ticket as far as others collections being made available for a big display game goes.

RichN wrote: Thanks for picking up the ball on this one Merle.

No sweat...as long as I can swing it next year. My current Boss retires next January, so I'm hoping to have the vacation time scheduled long before whoever my next boss is comes on board so I can say "...but I've had this trip on the calendar for a long, long time!" :P

mikebutcher wrote: And here I am pricing out 2K of Berbers with Musketeer Minis... Hoping for Crusades (EL Cid, etc.) for the singles tourney theme.

I could support the Greek theme easily (and like it too). I'm sure I could put together some celts if need be.

As Merle said, a lot depends on when the event is held in relation to the other WAB events (And when Adepticon is held next year, it tends to move about a lot...) Maybe Friday night or as a side to the Doubles on Sunday?

Mike...by all means, collect those Berbers! You can whip me with them again next year! :lol: We're still in the discussion phases and who knows...we may end up not doing any of this. I will say, though, I'd rather not do it on Sunday as a side to the WAB doubles...definitely don't want to take away from the doubles. My thought is, if we do all three, to do all three on Friday or perhaps do two of the three on Friday and then the third after the singles on Saturday night.

BostonNazgul wrote: I think Adepticon 2012 should just be referred to as "Adepticon X" from now on, or convert to the roman numeral system.
{snip}
For the passer by, I think Rome vs celts would be a great choice.

Jeremy...I totally agree...I'm all sorts of into short-hand. You'll catch me often typing "AC X" from here out probably. I'm glad to hear you like the Romans! :D Would love to have you and your figs playing!
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles