'Big Games' and the American Civil War at Adepticon 2012

In the grim darkness of the past?

'Big Games' and the American Civil War at Adepticon 2012

Postby DavePauwels » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 pm

I know, it's a little early for this. But if you know how I paint, then you know I should've started this 6 months ago....

In any case, Rich and I have been in discussion about a series of potential historical 'Big Games' at Adepticon X. These would be pre-planned and pre-organized exhibition or participation games. We were hoping for 2-3 games, each one covering a different time period and rules set. I know Rich is considering a Crusades game and we may be looking to have someone organize an Ancients game. For my own part, I am confirming that I plan on running a Black Powder American Civil War game. Next April will be the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh, so it seems like an appropriate event.

If you have an interest in participating, email me (or message me your email). I know I talked to a few people who expressed interest, like Merle and Jamie and I heard a couple others might be interested, like Mike B. I'll put together an outline of what I'd like to do and what a committment might comprise on your end. I'd also like to discuss scheduling as I want to avoid conflicts with any historical tournaments. I'll also include some historical background and orders of battle for Shiloh if anyone wants to do specific (instead of more general) regiments and commanders.

Finally, I've had some generous offers of using people's existing collections of ACW figures. While I appreciate the offers, I think part of the fun of a project like this would be the building and collecting of brigades throughout the next 12 months. The progress of which I plan to record on a blog.

So again, if this sounds like something you'd be interested in, let me know. You can email me at malfoy773@hotmail.com

Dave
DavePauwels

Postby Nostromo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:33 pm

malfoy773? Whose email is that really?

I don't know, I am really having a lot of fun researching some AWI campaigns-

How many figures would one have to paint up for Black Powder?
and did any Zouave Units participate?

Who am I kidding- me not do a Cav unit....

Maybe Avery's Georgian Mountain Dragoons under Bragg-
Would they have worn the Stag hats and light blue pants?

1st Mississippi Cavalry had some interesting units as well...
Nostromo

Postby DavePauwels » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:56 am

I think, looking again the Black Powder last night, we might take a page (literally) from their book. Instead of attempting a very specific set of regiments and commanders, I'm leaning towards a "fictional scenario" type game. This way, participants could paint what ACW units they're most interested in painting, be that a Western regiment, an Eastern theatre regiment, a zouave regiment, etc.

I think, as long as the opposing sides are even, it doesn't really matter if we have the 54th Mass. fighting along side the 20th Maine. I'm a purist, but I think people should definitely paint what units they want.

I would advise anyone thinking about cavalry, as I plan on doing myself, that you'd need dismounted troopers as well.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
DavePauwels

Postby Thogrid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 am

DavePauwels wrote:I think, looking again the Black Powder last night, we might take a page (literally) from their book. Instead of attempting a very specific set of regiments and commanders, I'm leaning towards a "fictional scenario" type game. This way, participants could paint what ACW units they're most interested in painting, be that a Western regiment, an Eastern theatre regiment, a zouave regiment, etc.

I think, as long as the opposing sides are even, it doesn't really matter if we have the 54th Mass. fighting along side the 20th Maine. I'm a purist, but I think people should definitely paint what units they want.

I would advise anyone thinking about cavalry, as I plan on doing myself, that you'd need dismounted troopers as well.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Dave, I agree 100%...we're more likely to get more guys participating if there is more lattitude in what they can do. Roughly basing the game on Shiloh is not a bad idea, especially for terrain, troop numbers etc, to give us guidelines.

Oh...and I don't think it is too early at all to start this. But then I paint about as fast (or slow?) as you do! :lol:

I've posted on the "Thanks for AC" thread, but want to mention here "I am in" for this project...but the extent depends on what sorts out with the other one or two "big games". Having just picked up Black Power (BP) this past weekend, I've not read anything yet...just browsed through quickly...so remind me what your idea for regiment size is again please. 24 man with Officer, musician and two standards on a command stand? What about cav? I'd like to base the figs I do individually on 20mm squares for infantry and 25 x 50 mm bases for cav for use in other game systems and use "Sabot" bases (basically movement trays) for this project.

As I told you at AC this past weekend, I'd like to do some units for both Federals and Confederate sides so I have opposing forces. Pending what we do with the other two proposed projects and timing (ie, how soon can I start painting), I'm thinking as much as 4 or 5 regiments for each side...probably with one being a cav unit (to include the dismounts...good call!!)
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Postby Nostromo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:58 pm

I figured on the dismounts- the Perry's have that covered, even have a horse holder-
But I don't think the Confederate Cav recruited under the Partisan Act ever did dismount- unless the horse was shot out from under them.
They also didn't mess with sabres like those Federals- just two to four .44 Colts.

But how many figs?

And sticking to the actual battle is better for me- I like having something to model after. Lots of fun Confederate Cav units there.
Nostromo

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles