Thanks Rich and Acon

In the grim darkness of the past?

Thanks Rich and Acon

Postby Nostromo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 pm

It was an excellent tournament with excellent players.
I know I had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute.
Now just a bit depressed that I have to wait another whole year for it to happen again...

Thanks Rich for running such a great tourney- and Chris too!
I know it takes a lot of people to make this kind of thing come off without a hitch- it is a great tourney!

And for those of you that missed John's Pirate campaign, you missed some serious fun! I only hope I can run a Legends setting campaign with such flavor some day!

And thanks to Merle and Jay for making for such a fun Legends of the Rising Sun game Saturday night- it made all the work worth while!

How can three days go so fast??

Here is to hoping that LaCrosse can get a WAB tournament going soon!
Nostromo

Postby mikebutcher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:42 am

I second this! Thanks for a great event!
mikebutcher

Postby Matt-J2 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:04 am

I'll add my thanks as well, had a blast in all my games, so thanks Rich and crew!(I'm bad with names, sorry) I just wish I could have played some more people, I keep missing a matchup with Nostromo!

Now we just need to get the theme for next year sorted so I can start now and get a long blog going, not a rush-to-finish type blog. ;)
Matt-J2

Postby RichN » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks to everyone who came out and to Chris and Aaron for helping out on Saturday/Sunday.

Believe it or not, this was the 4th year for Ancients at Adepticon. We have created a fun, tight community - if a bit small. 16 players turned out for the singles event and 10 teams played in Sunday's doubles. I want to see what we can do to grow that for next year.

We have a whole year to get ready for Adepticon 10 - and already have a few ideas in the works.

Big Games: 6-10 players on 6x12 tables. I'm 90% set to run a Crusades game. Probably using the Hail Caesar rule set from Warlord. I'll be looking for 2 captains to take up the banners for the Franks & Saracens. If people want another online campaign - it most likely will be focused on this period.

Having a similar game with an Ancients theme would be great - we'll looking for someone to coordinate the event and pick a period.

Dave P. has an American Civil War big battle in the planning stages. I don't have the details, but a lot of folks sounded excited about the project.

We need to think if we will continue with both WAB tournaments (don't panic - I'm just thinking out loud here). If GW does come out with a new book, I'll make a commitment to theme an event around that army book (Successors, Successors, Successors) - but I don't GW has any plans to publish new WAB material. What I do need is someone to run one of the events - I will not run both a big game and 2 tournaments.

Anyone else with plans? We have all summer to kick around ideas.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:59 pm

I'd just like to add in that I really liked sorting players into periods and running against like armies. We don't quite have everyone here all in the same periods so it was really nice getting to play all the singles games in period.
So while I figure it would stay that way anyway, just in case it's up for question my vote goes to in-period matchups when possible. :)
Matt-J2

Postby RichN » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:46 pm

We got lucky this year, with only the Samurai not fitting in to either Classical or Dark Age. I'm going to have to tweak the missions for next year to prevent any sort of ties between the division leaders. We almost had 1 player from each division go 3-0.... probably need to add in some sort of secondary battle point goal.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 pm

I didn't know it was so close, pretty neat. After I saw all the armies I was even more glad my Vikings showed up in time and I didn't have to rock the WotR army. Of course, now I own most of a WotR army and no opponents so maybe I should get started on a campaign to get at least 3 other people to come to A-Con with Medieval armies. :twisted:
Matt-J2

Postby Thogrid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:02 pm

I want to add my voice to this clamoring of thanks!!

To Rich and Chris...awesome job! Thank you so much for your efforts in running the WAB tournaments. Without you guys stepping up we obviously wouldn't have seen 16 singles players and 10 teams in the doubles duking it out!

To Hank...thanks for giving WAB the attention/space at AdeptiCon to continue to grow. While so many others are pooh-poohing the supposed demise of WAB with v2, your efforts are keeping WAB alive!

To my three opponents, Matt H., Mike B. and Mr. Bennett the Hun...great games and even better opponents! Its guys like you that drew me to WAB and keeps me coming back again and again.

To Aaron (& Pete)...the Legends of the Rising Sun game was absolutely beautiful and a blast. Jay and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves...like we need more toys, but that was a fun game that looks stunning (!!!!), so there may well be some additional purchases in the offing. :shock:

And...like Aaron, I'm bummed I have to wait until next year now to hang with you guys! :(
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Postby Thogrid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:02 am

RichN wrote:We have a whole year to get ready for Adepticon 10 - and already have a few ideas in the works.

Big Games: 6-10 players on 6x12 tables. I'm 90% set to run a Crusades game. Probably using the Hail Caesar rule set from Warlord. I'll be looking for 2 captains to take up the banners for the Franks & Saracens. If people want another online campaign - it most likely will be focused on this period.

I vote YES PLEASE on the online campaign question! The last two years the online campaign has spurred us in the Kansas City/Topeka area to get together and play WAB...which is always a good thing!

I'm ready and able to, at a minimum, support a "Big Game" based on the Crusades. If you'll have them Rich, my Normans are perfect arms/armor wise for a 1st through 3rd Crusades time period. Pending what sorts out on the other "big games" I will paint additional figs to expand the 2,000+ points (in WAB...not sure how that equates in Hail Cesear! yet) I already have.

RichN wrote:Having a similar game with an Ancients theme would be great - we'll looking for someone to coordinate the event and pick a period.

I'm not 100% sure yet if I can (work/family schedules...and AdeptiCon X dates), but I am considering taking up the mantle on this one. I'm leaning toward a "big game" based on the Battle of Watling Street...Boudica's Revolt in 61 AD in Roman Britain...using WAB as the rules set. However, I am also considering something involving the Peloponnesian War (Athens and her allies versus Sparta and her allies) or perhaps Alexander's Successors.

To my mind, the "average gamer" will surely recognize Early Imperial Romans and Hairy Naked Celts fighting it out. So with the idea being to "expose" Ancients gaming to our fantasy and 40K bretheren, I think this would make a good "demonstration game". I'd very much appreciate folks commmenting on these ideas...I may be the only one interested in these ideas/periods! :? I might start a separate thread here in the WAB section of the forum to sort these questions out.

RichN wrote: Dave P. has an American Civil War big battle in the planning stages. I don't have the details, but a lot of folks sounded excited about the project.

I have committed to Dave to help support this project as well...the extent of my support will obviously be influenced by these other two potential projects...but I think this will be an awesome visual display as well!

RichN wrote: We need to think if we will continue with both WAB tournaments (don't panic - I'm just thinking out loud here). If GW does come out with a new book, I'll make a commitment to theme an event around that army book (Successors, Successors, Successors) - but I don't GW has any plans to publish new WAB material. What I do need is someone to run one of the events - I will not run both a big game and 2 tournaments.

Anyone else with plans? We have all summer to kick around ideas.

I've got a couple of buddies that have contacts inside FW...I'll see if they can weasel out some sort of info on the question...but don't hold your breath! Not to step on Rich's toes or be argumentative here, but in my opinion it doesn't matter what FW/GW decides to do or not do...if we as a community choose to play WAB with the existing supplements as is then we should execute that option. I TOTALLY understand Rich's position that he can't do both a "big game" AND run the two tournaments...plus hopefully an online campaign. Pending on how all this works out, I'm sure we can make all this work.

Scheduling wise at AC X, I'm assuming we're looking at these "big games " on Friday? Could we do all three on the same day?

I'm pumped for AC X guys !!!! WOO HOO!!! 8)
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Matt-J2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about the online campaign mention. I'd enjoy participating again, but with only 2 regular opponents it's pretty much a given I can't win. I have no idea how that could be factored in, or if it should, but I thought I'd mention it. Maybe I'm jealous of Merle. ;)
At any rate if it was Crusade themed I just might have to roll out some Byzantines if they're included. Otherwise, not sure.
Matt-J2

Postby Thogrid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:16 pm

Matt-J2 wrote:Oh yeah, forgot about the online campaign mention. I'd enjoy participating again, but with only 2 regular opponents it's pretty much a given I can't win. I have no idea how that could be factored in, or if it should, but I thought I'd mention it. Maybe I'm jealous of Merle. ;)
At any rate if it was Crusade themed I just might have to roll out some Byzantines if they're included. Otherwise, not sure.

We are blessed in KC to have four of us that play WAB somewhat regularly..with one or two that seem to slide in and out occassionally, mostly out. The online campaign certainly got us playing more frequently (at least once a month...sometimes twice)...which was great!

Pending the theme/set up of the campaign though...we'll see what comes this time around. I liked the flexibility this year's campaign offered as far as opponents' forces goes...made it much easier to get in games as some of the guys are pretty set with playing their chosen force. :lol:
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Thogrid » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Thogrid wrote:Scheduling wise at AC X, I'm assuming we're looking at these "big games " on Friday? Could we do all three on the same day?

I'm pumped for AC X guys !!!! WOO HOO!!! 8)

I should clairify...I'm hoping we can run all three consecutively as opposed to concurrently...so, if for no other reason, I can play in all three!

:wink:
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Matt-J2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Thogrid wrote:We are blessed in KC to have four of us that play WAB somewhat regularly..with one or two that seem to slide in and out occassionally, mostly out. The online campaign certainly got us playing more frequently (at least once a month...sometimes twice)...which was great!

Sounds like a great scene there. I think we here in WI(outside of Lacrosse, anyway) just need to travel around a little more to get some games in. Maybe if we have another campaign for next year we can set up a weekend or two in a more central location to gather for games.

I liked the flexibility this year's campaign offered as far as opponents' forces goes...made it much easier to get in games as some of the guys are pretty set with playing their chosen force. :lol:

Yeah, that helped here as well. Were all starting to get more armies now so it's getting better, but before it was out of period or nothing.
Matt-J2

Postby Thogrid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Matt-J2 wrote:Sounds like a great scene there. I think we here in WI(outside of Lacrosse, anyway) just need to travel around a little more to get some games in. Maybe if we have another campaign for next year we can set up a weekend or two in a more central location to gather for games.

That certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings any. :lol: Hmmm...maybe we could meet up in Des Moines later this fall? It's about 3 1/2 hours for us and looks to be about 4 hours from Lacrosse. Or, perhaps we could meet up in Springfield, IL (about 5 1/2 from KC...6 1/2 from Lacrosse) and pull in Hank, Rich and Dave...plus others maybe?
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby PsychosisPC » Sat May 07, 2011 10:39 am

A little late, but thanks Rich, it was a good tourney. I had fun with it.

I do not however want to play Hail Caeser, I have the Black Powder book and looked over the Hail sample at Warlord's display. I don't care for the rules set.

We in La Crosse are planning a WAB tourney, hopefully announcing it very soon once we get the date firmly established.

And I think Butcher and I have to change our team name to Grumpy Nice Old Coots after getting Best Sports. It was shocking. :D

Shawn
PsychosisPC

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles