It's X days until Adepticon and...(progress thread)

In the grim darkness of the past?

Postby Matt-J2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:11 am

It's now midnight or so, and I finished 0 models today. Worked on some, but started pretty late. Lots of distractions, lots of just plain old not feeling like it. I'll be honest, this pace is kicking my nuts and I'm darn near burned out. I now have two new plans. One alters my list based on trying to get some different elements in so I can play a little more to my style. One cuts the remaining model count in half by doing something similar to the first but also using some of my early Saxons from last year as a Dogs of War unit and maybe also some Thralls. I'd rather do the first one, but I'm keeping the second list around, just in case. The downside is I really need to finish these by the end of this weekend, or I'll be so sick of seeing/painting the things I won't enjoy A-Con as much.

At any rate, by 10am I should have the last 2 Bondi archers finished and another 8 Hirdmen. We'll see how far I can go from there. :)
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:20 am

I did finish those ten I mentioned before just a few minutes ago so pretty close to on time. No pic, it would just look like the others.(actually, just being lazy) Downside is I need to wait for the dip to dry and the holding boards are clamped on my desk so my workspace is taken. Need to clean the next ten and prime them.
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Waiting for primer to dry, so did some basing work on a smaller unit of Hirdmen, and added the banner. Still need to do the Hersir that will join the unit and the berserker. Thought I'd take a pic so there's somehting to look at here rather than just blurry, poorly lit pics of guys in clips on sticks.

Those paper banners really are handy for times like this. Thanks Foundry. :)
Matt-J2

Postby muwhe » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:38 pm

muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Matt-J2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks muwhe, I needed some motivation. :)

It's 6 days until Adepticon, and I have 16 models left to paint.
Finished 10 Hirdmen just a few minutes ago, the dip is setting on those so I'm cleaning up ten more to work on today. I'm not doing any real cleaning on these, all the mold lines remain. Just removing the big chunks and making sure the bottom of the feet tab is as flat as I can get it so they glue down to the bases well.
Which brings up a bit of a peeve of mine. Quite a few of these models were pretty poorly cast. Huge chunks and ridges that need to be removed, mostly in the hand/arm area but also some right on the cloaks as well. Some are bad enough that the hands don't really look like hands anymore. Even some underfilled area in the cloaks that are fine when I'm dipping but they made me glad I wasn't spending a lot of time here. There are some really nice models in the set though, which made me sad I wasn't putting more effort in.
And one more thing that most manufacturers seem to be guilty of: If you're going to do poses with separate shields, please make sure the pose allows the model to actually hold the damn shield. Just one of those things that really bugs me.

At any rate, there was some list adjustment today but I wanted to add some things game-wise which I just happen to be able to do using my early Saxons(I wanted Thralls).
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Funny things happened, was getting ready to sit down and paint 10 more models after playing on the net and seeing that my order with Crusader/Old Glory was still pending when my wife came in with the mail and behold, there was a package from Old Glory. Time to write those things back into my list then get to painting. :)
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:28 pm

It's 5 days until Adepticon, and I have 7-8 models left to paint. Depends on how I set the final list. At any rate, starting to feel pretty good, shood have the painting done tomorrow. Even test dipped a Thrall to see how it works on the Saxons I painted last year. May have to brush on the final bits for them but should help them match the Vikings more. The problem is that they're already based and I don't want the dip pooling around the feet as much, so I don't dunk them all the way, we'll see how much of it runs down the legs.

Some not great pics of this batch:

Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:24 am

Good Job-
I know what you mean about getting too burned out to enjoy it- why must I always decide on an army to do about 4-5 months before?
Up late doing my last unit of Goths, only to find out I didn't order enough with mail- guess I did my figuring wrong...
I didn't even photograph them- just packed them up-
another thing I did was decide I didn't like the multiple bases on some (wanted a different horse on a musician, decided a different banner would be better, wanted less similar figures on a double base, etc...) so I started prying off and mixing- which of course required touch up paint....

Why!
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 am

I'm thinking of prying off a few myself since my order came in! Tricky thing is I'll have to be extra careful in my accounting with my multi-bases since I have Different Weapons, but it looks like folks are understanding about that sort of thing so long as I don't attack with models they've just killed!
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:13 pm

It's 4 days until Adepticon, and I have 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 models left to paint!!

I'm pretty stoked about that. Even if I didn't paint as many as originally anticipated. Here's some quick shots. Still need to do basing of course, once that's done I'll post unit shots and closer pics with some final thoughts on the project. Until then:

Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 pm

The dishes are done, dude. Here's a quick shot of the army all based up and flags added. Still need to hit them with the dullcote but they're now functional.

I'll do the unit pics when I get them dulled down tomorrow, been a long enough day already.
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:41 pm

OK, so here's some closer shots taken early this evening when I still had a bit of natural light to work with. I present for Adepticon 2011, The Danish army of Guthrum:

Characters(Konnungr, Hersir ASB, Hersir, Godi)

Guþrum(Konnungr) and Skalf, carrying the Raven Banner, scourge of England(Hersir ASB)

Snorri(Hersir) and Ulf(Godi)

21 Hirdmen w/ FC, LA, Sh, 4 Double handed weapons and the rest w/ throwing spears and all have Javelins, 1 Berserker w/ DHW

16 Hirdmen w/ FC, LA, Sh 3 Double handed weapons and the rest w/ throwing spears and all have Javelins, 1 Berserker w/ AHW

23 Bondi w/ FC, Shields, Throwing Spears

18 Gestir w/ FC, 2 DHW, rest have Throwing Spears, Shields, all have Javelins

11 Bondi with Bows

11 Bondi w/ Bows

2x9 Thralls w/ Javelins and Bucklers(painted last year, only included for completeness. I think Saxon Thralls are appropriate, though!)

So, turns out I like dipping more than I thought I would, and I imagine I'll try it again, maybe with a little extra highlighting if I'm not pressed for time. Also would be good to keep a brush handy to catch some of the puddling. And I've said this before, but dammit, if I wait this long again(though not entirely my fault this time), somebody stab me in the eye with a pointy stick. GW Foundation paints really helped as well, only a few select colors I used need multiple coats and those mostly weren't Foundation paints. It did affect the overall look though, I could have used a bit brighter colors to start since the dip does darken them all up a bit. That's the trade-off, especially with black primer.
Matt-J2

Postby mikebutcher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Looked great in person!
mikebutcher

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks Mike. :) I just wish they hadn't spent so much time running away!!
Matt-J2

Postby Thogrid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 am

mikebutcher wrote:Looked great in person!

I'd second that Matt!
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles