It's X days until Adepticon and...(progress thread)

In the grim darkness of the past?

It's X days until Adepticon and...(progress thread)

Postby Matt-J2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:20 pm

*Note* These first posts are more or less just c&p froma thread of mine on another forum, but after this the dates should better make sense)

I have a lot of Viking models to paint. Inspired by Abe( a friend and WAB player in WI), here's my motivator thread. Every time I add a progress post I'll update the days and models remaining.

So as of today, it's 19 days until Adepticon and I have 120 models to paint. My goal is to do ten a day for 12 of those days. Yesterday it was 20 days and 130 models, so I at least succeeded on one day. I'm at school right now so can't take pics, but I'll get them up sometime tonight. The army is going to be pretty basic, going to get set up for a test dip tonight and see how that looks. If I don't like it then I'll just keep the basic block painting. No time to play around with making anything else work. Won't do any other painting until tomorrow though so that kills off one of my days!

*Added in what was a separate post on the forum here*
I needed to find some scrap wood this morning after work then I brushed on the dip. Haven't sprayed with the Dullcote yet but will do that later. Kind of hard to get a good feel in the pics but overall I'm happy with the look. Can't be too picky at this point anyway! :lol:

Harder to tell with the red tunics but the shading is there. Something to note is that the models are in those clips when I paint them, as I can't grasp the little base between the feet well at all and even if they were all on 20x20 already I can't hold them for long without my joints bothering me. Works out well for the dip also since I just run the dowels onto the screws so the models stay vertical while the dip is drying. I may try the dunk and flick on the next batch but the brush turned out fairly quick and easy. A little more time for these to dry and I'll get the next ten done tonight.
*This thread is now up to speed*
Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:43 am

I am sending good painting vibes toward the East!
Good luck Matt!
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:34 pm

Sooo...

It's 17 days until Adepticon and I have 110 models to paint:
This batch is fresh from the dip so still has to dry and it darkens a bit. Used the dunk-n-flick for these, we'll see which way I like best once it sets up.

Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:13 pm

It's still 17 days until Adepticon, and I now have 100 models to paint. That's right, I painted 20 models today. Hooray for me. :)

Was interesting trying to get the shields on, seems almost a universal trait that a few models in the range won't actually be able to hold their shields the way they're supposed to. Oh well, you won't be able to see it without looking close at least.
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:38 pm

It's 15 days until Adepticon, and I have 90 models left to paint.

Another 10 Bondi today, and got 10 Hirdmen ready for tomorrow. The pics aren't good, I'm hoping to get the bases cut tomorrow so I can start gluing them down, I can get better pics then.

Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 pm

It's 14 days until Adepticon, and I have 80 models left to paint.

Tried some Hirdmen today for a bit of variety.

Also got bases and trays cut today so will work a bit with those tomorrow as well. Feeling pretty good about my chances of finishing this one now. Must be those painting vibes from Nostromo. :)
Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:55 pm

You will make it!
Can't wait to see them based! (where is the Godi- need to remember him!)
Nostromo

Postby Thogrid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:22 pm

Nostromo wrote:You will make it!
Can't wait to see them based! (where is the Godi- need to remember him!)

Yes! Yes! Don't forget the Godi! (I don't want to be the only guy with a Godi!!) :roll:

Looking good Matt. Aaron's right..you can do it! Heck, I'm feeling a little guilty worrying about finishing 24 guys in the next two weeks! :oops:
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Postby Matt-J2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks guys! :)
The Godi is in the list, just need to decide which fig to use. I'm actually thinking of using one of the Foundry shield maidens I have, since she'll stand out from both the Bondi she's with and the other characters. Besides, I bet she could motivate that group of young men to hang tight in the heat of battle! :P
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 pm

It's 13 days until Adepticon, and I have 74 models left to paint.(yes, I'm cutting myself short a few days, that's on purpose)

At any rate, I actually painted no models today. Due to an error I cut my formed Bondi trays too small so my model count went down by six. Lucky stroke that, since I didn't feel much like painting today. So I sorted the army list out to better use what I had, sorted the models into units which they needed, been a bit random up to now, and sorted the bases. I did manage to base some Bondi bowmen so here's what they look like:

Off to the right you'll see a unit of Saxons I did for last year. Funny how those bases look so similar... The Saxons do have some other flock added on to break them up a bit and I might do that with the Vikings as well but here's what I have for now. They do look nice on top of my GW mat, since they match and all. :P
Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Yes, based they do look good. Female Godi- not so sure the Ostrogoths want any part of driving a spear through that....but she will obviously be a pagan, so probably not a problem....
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:29 am

It's 9 days until Adepticon, and I have 64 models left to paint.

Actually painted them last night, but didn't feel like taking pics and such. No individual shots, they're in their unit(all the spear armed models). One model left and the character in the front. Going to get the grass on them here shortly and do some more basing work before my game today against Deusvult's Siculo-Normans, then paint more models. Need to get quite a bit done yet. :P
Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Sicilian Normans? That could be interesting- let me know how that goes- (and what his list looks like!)
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:08 pm

We tried the Raid scenario from the A-Con singles pack, was a close draw. His list comes from El-Cid, not sure what everything was but there was 2 ferocious cav units, some merc jinetes, 2 spear blocks, and skirmishing archers and x-bows(1 units each). Can't recall what else. I usually have a tough time aginst those lists because I can't take up enough table space to keep the cav away from my flanks/rear unless I deploy in a corner and stay there. Too boring for me, plus I was the attacker in this scenario and had to get in his deployment zone.
Matt-J2

Postby Matt-J2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:01 pm

It's 9 days until Adepticon, and I have 54 models left to paint.

Quick group shot that provides no detail as usual, and a not so great shot of the general. Will get them based up tomorrow as this more or less completes a unit of Hirdmen, so will take a better pic of the general with better light.

Matt-J2

Next

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles