Hail Caesar pre-order

In the grim darkness of the past?

Postby Thogrid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:51 pm

BrentS wrote:
DavePauwels wrote:Three 'big games?' You guys are crazy. But I like your style. I would sorely be tempted to run/organize one and play in the other two. Which means I'd want to paint for all three. One year seems like a long time...

Stop getting distracted by Historicals and finish your LOTR army Dave! :wink:

HA! Now THAT is funny Brent! :D
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Postby DavePauwels » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:30 pm

I do promise, by the Lady of Lorien, that I'm playing in the B3 this year! I should have my Galadhrim finished this spring. That way I have the summer/fall to get better at the game.

But as far as the 2012 "big games" go, my plan is about 4-5 commanders per side. Black Powder works well with a commander running a brigade (3-5 battalions/regiments). I suspect that HC will translate to a similar number of "units"; 3-5 24-man units per command. Theoretically.

Of course, WAB 2.0 (do people still play this?) is different.

I'm sure Hank will support a classical game and we may even get him to play. I suspect he'd get behind a Heraclea game, and possibly a Boudiccan revolt battle. I think both options would make a great game and I can say, in all probability, Gorgon Studios might do some limited edition/special models based on the battle.

An American Civil War game would look spectacular. But, again, I don't want to stretch our resources too thin. I'll decide after Adepticon this year, but I think we'd have enough committed players to at least do a Dark Age/Medieval and Classical "big game."

DP
DavePauwels

Postby Thogrid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 pm

RichN wrote:
Thogrid wrote:Let me ask...what is your idea of a "big game"? 6-10 players? 10-14? 20+?

I was originally thinking teams of 3-5 with each player providing an equivalent force of 2000 points. Players would be expected to have some level of familiarity with the rule set. Would be certainly possible for an experienced team captain to shepherd a few novices. If a particular game was rather popular, it would be possible to run more than 1 game at a time. Think of it as a jumbo sized team event - mostly for fun, but with an opportunity for a bit of competitive play.

Ah...so your vision is more focused on players more or less familiar with the game system being run. Interesting...I hadn't considered that Rich. Guess I was thinking more along the lines of a "big demo game". So how many teams...just two? Would each game be a one on one affair with the results of each individual game tallying toward a team score? I believe that is the way a couple of guys have run "mini-campaigns" at HistoriCon in the past...a three round event where the first two are one on one games and the third is a big, huge, table bustin' 3 on 3 or 5 on 5 sort of affair.

This approach would certainly put the onus of figure preparation/production on the participating teams then. Would you leave it as an "open registration" sort of event? Or, would you recruit teams ahead of time and make it more of an observation only sort of thing and not a demo/participation sort of thing for the rest of the con attendees?

RichN wrote:The Civil war BP game could be good candidate for an "all figures" provided type of game with 10 players per team. Most players at Adepticon will be completely new to this time period.

I can definitely see that and agree. There's never been an ACW anything at AdeptiCons before, right?

I suppose we should get a feel for how many folks are interested in contributing to these ideas...and just how "big" we think we want to make them... before we decide how many total events we're going to run. If it is just four or five of us willing to paint figs and terrain etc...we may need to cut back on the size/number of events and the format.

Just thinking as I type. :roll:
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby Thogrid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 pm

DavePauwels wrote:
But as far as the 2012 "big games" go, my plan is about 4-5 commanders per side. Black Powder works well with a commander running a brigade (3-5 battalions/regiments). I suspect that HC will translate to a similar number of "units"; 3-5 24-man units per command. Theoretically.

Hmmm...okay. So are you thinking more along the lines that the prospective players are already familiar with the rules or more of a big demo game? IMHO, if we're talking a big demo game with brand new players that have never seen said rules, they will probably be maxed out with two or three units to deal with...whatever rules system we're playing.

DavePauwels wrote:Of course, WAB 2.0 (do people still play this?) is different.

Yes, people still play this...smarty pants. :D I just looked at the pre-reg and there are only two tickets left for the WAB singles so 18 players have signed up and the Doubles has eleven teams signed up...22 players. We've done the same sort of thing with WAB at the LGS that you described...with 2,000 point forces on each side we've had one player take two or so units and run a four on four "demo game". Seemed to work pretty well.

DavePauwels wrote:I'm sure Hank will support a classical game and we may even get him to play. I suspect he'd get behind a Heraclea game, and possibly a Boudiccan revolt battle. I think both options would make a great game and I can say, in all probability, Gorgon Studios might do some limited edition/special models based on the battle.

Oooo....that would be cool! Limited edition models AND Hank playing would be AWESOME! 8)

DavePauwels wrote:An American Civil War game would look spectacular. But, again, I don't want to stretch our resources too thin. I'll decide after Adepticon this year, but I think we'd have enough committed players to at least do a Dark Age/Medieval and Classical "big game."

DP

You're right...we definitely need to look at what we really want to do...and how we want to do it (format wise is what I'm thinking) and be sure we aren't biting off more than we can chew. I'll follow your lead on whatever you decide Dave. I would very much like to chat with you about it at AC though...and if at all possible, come to a decision (at least in priniciple as to what we think we can do and how we're going to do it) before we head home. I'm being selfish here I suppose, but this way I'll know how to plan my available hobby time for 2012.
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Postby DavePauwels » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Oh, I think we will know exactly what we need to do before we walk out of the Westin this year.

Frankly, I'm thinking we focus on two games, one Dark Age/feudal/Medieval game and one "Classical" game. Whether we use Hail Caesar! or WAB will be up to the organizers of each event, I suspect.

I don't think running the game necessarily precludes also playing, per se. If I ran a Heraclea game, for example, I'd still run my Tarentine hoplites. If Rich takes the lead in a Crusades game, theoretically, he'd still run his Saracens.

DP
DavePauwels

Postby muwhe » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:56 am

Gentlemen, my mind is of sole purpose at the moment and will be for the next 20 days. Doing everything I can to make AdeptiCon 2011 the best it can be!

That said, after AdeptiCon I am certainly up for getting a plan in order.
Couple of things to consider next year is AdeptiCon X and we are working to have more flexibility for events on Thursday.

My tastes are certainly more of a Classical nature.

Judging by sign ups for this year at AdeptiCon and success in the UK. I don’t know that I would be putting a fork in WAB 2.0 just yet. Communities drive games not rule sets or company support. With the AdeptiCon community larger than ever before … to quote a hero of mine “Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!” :D
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby Nostromo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:09 am

Now I love a big game- but from my short experience Adepticon is not the big participation crowd at this point. Maybe ACW (though I would still choose AWI...) would draw more interest than Samurai, but I am not so sure.

With commitment by 10 guys to do 10 regiments and play for 8 hours, that is a different thing- I tend to go on my own and just assume I will get 8 people as psyched as I am- which I now get is rarely going to happen- that and I make my own ruleset version so people are not familiar- which could have something to do with it...

Maybe DP is joking about do people play WAB anymore- but Adepticon has more signups at this stage in WAB tourneys than ever before I believe.

There does seem to be a little more interest in WWII games than Samurai- or it might be timeslots- but my hope is to have a ruleset that people can download and maybe make that into a tournament and see how many people I get then....

Long story short- I think if you want a big game, get your players lined up way before (Renegade Con between Peter, Luke and I last year required a 4th- and that guy came and went making the huge game frustrating- it was a spectacle though). Then maybe it will fly. My opinion, for what it is worth.
Nostromo

Postby DavePauwels » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:22 am

I'm definitely not interested in teaching a rules system or running a typical "convention" style game. If I ran/organized a Classical/Antiquity big game or multi-player battle, I would expect the 6-10 participants would be fluent with the rules, whether they were WAB 2.0 or Hail Caesar! The two main considerations would be to exhibit a spectacle game, to generate interest in Ancients wargaming and to put on a game for those Ancients enthusiasts who would be willing to participate in a big game. I don't mean to sound harsh here, but I'm not interested in teaching anyone a specific rules set.

Right now, I'm thinking Rich and I might be the two people willing to organize each. Maybe one of us runs HC and one does a WAB game. I will tell you this, I will certainly play in Rich's "big game."

I'm just going to have to unofficially do some polling as to what people might want out of a Classical game; what would be an ideal battle. Merle, Jamie, Hank, or anyone else- let me know what would be your preference.

D
DavePauwels

Postby Nostromo » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:41 am

Well I might not be on the pole...er, poll..
but I would be willing to put up my Perry Crusaders for 1 to 3rd Crusade Franks with Armenians (about 3k) with early 100 Years war types (eBob and Perry) for adding if it is later Crusader States to 4th Crusade time.
Nostromo

Postby RichN » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Leaning towards a 1st crusades era event. I need to do some reading to find an appropriate battle or what if situation to base the event on. We can discuss at Adepticon, take the summer off, then pick up planning in July/August.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Thogrid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:37 pm

DavePauwels wrote:I'm definitely not interested in teaching a rules system or running a typical "convention" style game. If I ran/organized a Classical/Antiquity big game or multi-player battle, I would expect the 6-10 participants would be fluent with the rules, whether they were WAB 2.0 or Hail Caesar! The two main considerations would be to exhibit a spectacle game, to generate interest in Ancients wargaming and to put on a game for those Ancients enthusiasts who would be willing to participate in a big game. I don't mean to sound harsh here, but I'm not interested in teaching anyone a specific rules set.

Right now, I'm thinking Rich and I might be the two people willing to organize each. Maybe one of us runs HC and one does a WAB game. I will tell you this, I will certainly play in Rich's "big game."

I'm just going to have to unofficially do some polling as to what people might want out of a Classical game; what would be an ideal battle. Merle, Jamie, Hank, or anyone else- let me know what would be your preference.

D

Sorry for the delayed response. I had to put my head back down and get to painting Native Americans and US Cav. Getting closer and closer...both to being finished and running out of time! :shock:

I totally underastand your position Dave. I must admit, I misunderstood originally and had it in my head we were looking at more of a "teaching game". What you listed above sounds awesome to me!!

From the angle of a "showcase" sort of event, I'd think something with EIR and Hairy Naked Barbarians (HNBs) would do the trick in the Classical/Antiquity game. Most every war gamer will recognize both armies...and something about masses of Celt units and Celt chariots whizzing around the battle field facing Rome's finest sounds like it would be too cool looking and fun to play.

Likewise, I think Rich's idea of a 1st Crusades event would also display well and be a blast to play.

I can/will support both with figs and I'd love to play in both...whatever game system!
Merle
KC Area
Thogrid

Previous

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles