Hail Caesar pre-order

In the grim darkness of the past?

Hail Caesar pre-order

Postby RichN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:40 am

Warlord Games new ancients rule set, Hail Caesar, is now up for pre-order. The release is targeted for April, so I think we are going to miss out on any chance to look it over at this year's Adepticon.

http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/hail-cae ... 6062-p.asp
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby DavePauwels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Definitely pre-ordering mine. I love Black Powder, and I expect this will be as good.

I was also in the very early stages of maybe thinking about possibly organizing a large 'Hail Caesar!' participation game for A-Con 2012. But I have no detailed plans yet. Just a couple ideas.
DavePauwels

Postby RichN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm already thinking the same thing. The game was written for big armies on big tables. Where better than a convention to set up a 6x12 table and go at it.

I remember Warmaster as one of the best written rule books GW ever put out. Black Powder has mixed reviews, but everything I've seen for HC has been positive. All I need them to do is quickly follow up the rule book with army lists.
RichN

Postby DavePauwels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Let's talk. I think the trick(s) will be:
1) Finding a period that 8-10 people can agree on. It needs to be something relatively accessible. Again, I think I have a couple possible options that might work.
2) Getting the space at the convention to run an all-day game. Though I suspect Hank will help us out.
3) Terrain. I'm actually up for working on a 12x6 table, considering I'd have a year (give or take) to work on it.
DavePauwels

Postby Nostromo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:03 pm

If it is like BP, it won't be real tourney oriented (so Hank won't like it :))
I would be down for it, though how late will it go- Dave won't do anything post Christ, and I won't do anything before!
Nostromo

Postby RichN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 pm

That's why I'm thinking two games - one Classical and one Dark Age.

But we may be getting the horse before the cart - the book is not even in print yet.
RichN

Postby DavePauwels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Rich has a good idea, with the two-game possibility. I just wouldn't want to cause any conflicts with the WAB tournaments. But ideally, we'd have two large multi-player games, each with a organizer/referee.

Rich is also right in that we might be slightly premature with these plans, but I personally like the idea of a large multi-player game as I'm not a big tournament player. Hail Caesar could be a perfect system for such a spectacle!

And there are two post-Christ periods that I would consider painting up for a big HC game: the Crusades and the Hundred Years War.

I'm gonna let Rich think about the Dark Age/feudal/medieval possibilities and I'm gonna research a few classical battles. If anyone has any suggestions or would be interested, just let me know- or talk to me at Adepticon this year.
DavePauwels

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:46 pm

What scale is this designed for?
Lordgoober

Postby muwhe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:00 am

:D

Robert .. I would imagine 28mm... given the crowd responding to this thread although I think scale and basing is largely irrelevant for BP/HC.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby RichN » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 am

Dave and I are thinking 28mm, but that does not preclude additional efforts at other scales.
RichN

Postby DavePauwels » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:29 am

Not to overly confuse things at this way early stage, but my other possible plan goes something like this- we take Friday, theoretically, and instead of doing two Hail Caesar games, we do one HC and one Black Powder demo/exhibition/participation game.

That way we have two very different looking historical games. We also potentially get a wider range of possible participants. Plus, I have a group in the city that's starting to do 28mm BP, so within a year I figure I'd know the rules.

Additionally, next April (2012) is the 150th anniversary of one of the Civil War's most important battles. A perfect subject for a BP game. I also happen to know someone who may let us borrow and display some ACW artifacts.

Something to think about.
DavePauwels

Postby Nostromo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:29 am

Hey- I obviously love Crusades as well- and I just ordered some Perry HYW figs to add as later Crusader State types- so I would be up for that!

A Friday all day event would be great!
Nostromo

Postby tjski » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Sorry, late to the discussion, but since I plan on being at Adepticon 2012, I would love to see a possible Civil War game using Black Powder. Hell my buddy Rob ( Drunkensamurai here on AWC) is painting up a ton of Civil War stuff in order for us to do just that sort of game here in Phoenix.

He is talking about coming to Adepticon next year as well and I know he could be talked into "lending" his stuff for a big game. Just saying anyway!

Tim K
tjski

Postby Nostromo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:11 pm

For some reason I am more drawn to AWI or FIW than the American Civil War- though those new Zouaves from the Perry's are real nice looking plastics- and offer some of the color to the uniforms that the earlier American battles possessed.

Maybe I went to too many civil war battlegrounds as a child....
Nostromo

Postby DavePauwels » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 pm

I can not even begin to tell you how many family trips saw my sister and I walk the hallowed grounds of the Hornet's Nest, Little Round Top, and Lookout Mountain. I would need considerable time and space.

Now, at the risk of being premature about this, the Black Powder game would be Shiloh (April 1862-see how that works for Adepticon 2012?). Every participant would be responsible for their own brigade (roughly 3-4 Regiments, plus artillery). Ideally, we'd have 4-5 commands on each side, Federal and Confederate. Then we'd need one player on each side to act as overall commander (Division commander).

We wouldn't necessarily need each brigade to match their historical Shiloh counter-part (though I'd probably paint Sherman's first brigade under McDowell), but the scenario/battle would represent part of the historical battle, as would the terrain.

Again, as a historical game at Adepticon, I'd like to avoid overlap with the WAB Tournament or Rich's Hail Caesar! game (I'd like to personally play in both next year).

Again, this is almost criminally premature. But I would like to come out of Adepticon 2011 with a plan and a few committments. Including some sponsors.
DavePauwels

Next

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles