Ratio of Attacker to Defender- Merle?

In the grim darkness of the past?

Ratio of Attacker to Defender- Merle?

Postby Nostromo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Legends players and Merle (Tim too if you are watching at all...)

You guys have any good guidelines for what makes a good ratio points wise in a Legends game where one side is to defend?

What makes it hard is the Defenders have cover and fortifications, while the attackers will have use of a cannon and movable mantlets (I plan to use the rules for carrying ladders).

It is a bit of an Alamo(thus a good Question for Merle), but on paper, 2:1 seems a bit high?

Looking for any experience here!
Nostromo

Re: Ratio of Attacker to Defender- Merle?

Postby Thogrid » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:42 am

Nostromo wrote:Legends players and Merle (Tim too if you are watching at all...)

You guys have any good guidelines for what makes a good ratio points wise in a Legends game where one side is to defend?

What makes it hard is the Defenders have cover and fortifications, while the attackers will have use of a cannon and movable mantlets (I plan to use the rules for carrying ladders).

It is a bit of an Alamo(thus a good Question for Merle), but on paper, 2:1 seems a bit high?

Looking for any experience here!

Hi Aaron,

To be honest, I've not played anything out of "The Alamo: Victory or Death"...just read through the book actually. In addition to the ladder rules, are you going to use the Massed Battles, Siege and cannon rules? IIRC, the cannon ignores in the way rolls for the the figure covered by the "hole" in the template while every other model under or touching the template takes a reduced strength hit. I'd have to look it up though as it has been a while since I read through it.

IIRC, most of the scenarios in The Alamo book that aren't straight up fights have the defenders at 33% less points than the attacker, except the Siege scenario (The North Wall at the Alamo) which is 2:1 attacker to defender.

Another option might be to allow the defender more points but have a poriton of his force move on the board in a reinforcing role and come on based on a random die roll. The Last Stand scenario from Frontier: Blood on the Plains that I'm using has it set up that way. The ratio is 1:0.75 attacker to defender and 60% of the defender's force comes on as reinforcements on a random die roll.

Not sure if this helps or not. :) :)
Merle
KC Area
"A wise man learns form his own mistakes, but a genius learns from others!"
Thogrid

Postby Nostromo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks Merle-

Good ideas- I don't have the Alamo book- but sounds like interesting cannon rules- more cannon than the siege engines in Lord of the Rings
Nostromo

Postby tjski » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:55 pm

Aaron,

What sort of game are you trying to play with Legends? For LotHS I went back to Lord of the Rings rules.

As to your question, well it is tough for units to assault units in cover. I would give the assaulting more troops than the defenders, with out knowing what your planning it is hard to give you an exact figure.

Tim K
tjski

Postby Nostromo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Ah Tim- if only you were nearer!

this is for another playtest round of my Rising Sun game...assault on an Ikko-ikki fortress monestary- there will be a small cannon on the Samurai side- and a gate house and fortress wall to assault- there will be other surprises as well, but that is how it starts and the main goal of the attacking samurai will be to breach and get inside...
Nostromo

Postby tjski » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:29 am

Nostromo wrote:Ah Tim- if only you were nearer!

this is for another playtest round of my Rising Sun game...assault on an Ikko-ikki fortress monestary- there will be a small cannon on the Samurai side- and a gate house and fortress wall to assault- there will be other surprises as well, but that is how it starts and the main goal of the attacking samurai will be to breach and get inside...

Aaron,

Well than since it is for Rising Sun, I would still say to give the attackers a few more troops.

Oh how I wish I was closer...

Perhaps I will run a two day Legends tournament here in Phoenix Next year. It would be fun to do LotHS and LotRS together.

Tim
tjski

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles