Christmas Wish- Dark Age Campaign

In the grim darkness of the past?

Christmas Wish- Dark Age Campaign

Postby Nostromo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:24 am

My Christmas wish is to help me decide on my Dark Age Campaign army for Adepticon this year!

I am almost done with the new Samurai Cavalry and cannon for the Rising Sun Game this year, which opens up the holiday season to get some stuff done!

My hope was to do a Northumbrian or Caledonian army- but my god is shield wall a dumb rule or what- as Matt pointed out on the WAB Forum- why isn't it like phalanx where you can move-
Now I doubt we could get this alternate rule allowed in the tourney http://wabforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... =20#p86313

But what should I do to simulate a Scottish or Northumbrian raiding force-

Mounted Thanes? (how big would a unit of Warband Cav have to be to be effective? 6x3 would be quite a block..)
Or run them as Goths- so a fun mix of Cav and foot- but no real Warband love- well the rule is a bit like Warband...

Anyway- I hope Santa brings everyone lots of new lead and painting enthusiasm-

Also, has anyone ever lined up GB and Musketeer minis together? Would love to mix, but unsure...GB always seemed a bit smaller.

Aaron
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:45 pm

I seem to recall there being a lineup of GB and Musketeer Saxons on the WAB Forum, or pictures from someone who uses both in the the same units, but I can't recall who to find them. They did seem to mix well though, from what I recall.
Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:32 am

GB has so many different sculptors, I imagine it would also depend on which line- I am thinking of a Sons of Death roving band, so either going with GB Raiders by Chris Vaga (don't any of his stuff), or with Artizan Bondi- and I know I love Mike's work...

I might do Scotts- but I think it will be a challenge to win with...
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Sorry, I was thinking the GB Early Saxons, they're a little bit larger than the older range for the Mid/Late Saxons.
The Viking Raiders should fit nice with the newer Vikings, and the Age of Arthur ranges they made(the Scots/Scots-Irish are the Pict models)
The Crusader Scots line is pretty nice, and if you do the Old Glory Army thing the discount will really help with the larger number of models you'd need. Don't know about winning with them though!
Matt-J2

Postby RichN » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Musketeer did just release a new set of Gothic figures ...
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Nostromo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:58 am

they are very nice-
I can mix the saxons and Goths I think to make any tribal/clan Dark Age army-
so I might just start building them and then see how best they fit-
Goths, Scots, or even as Rus- depending on what I add to them
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Could work, though I think the Rus were different enough looking that it might be a bit odd. Maybe even the Scots as well, but anything Germanic should be just fine.
Just made my order to Artizan finally so once those get here I can get cracking. Now if only I could use the Berzerker rules from B:BtGG instead of Shieldwall I'd be all kinds of happy. Oh well, can't have everything!
Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:34 am

That is kind of why I was thinking of running a Rus list- not so much to be Rus themselves but the ability to make some fun ground lists with berserker types, the ability to try swine wedge, and also have some decent cavalry choices- it just seems to be overpriced for the time period we are playing- Thanes are cheaper for about the same thing, and mounted Thanes are much cheaper- but Warband Cav seems hard to make work(in my mind anyway). Were Saxons really of the Warband mentality this late? seems odd to me....

I may be able to make it work though- thinking a Northumbrian Saxon mix using the Rus list- though Superior Byzantine Cavalry is more a rule for Normans at Hastings I believe.
I could use a Northumbrian list- or use a Scots lowland list to make a version of Northumbria- thinking Uthred and more of a mixed Danelaw Northumbria list- which I think I could do with Rus....

Of course a Lombard Goth list would be fun and completely different- lots of Cav with some Saxons??
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:43 pm

They gave Saxons Warband because of the impetuousness at Hastings, I believe. Chasing off after those silly knights and all that. :P

Depends on what Rus list. The Early Pagan Rus is my favorite as a SW/Norse substitute because I like the power level and abilities better. No Cavalry of it's own, though you can use cav from any of it's various allies/mercs. The later lists all have min cav requirements and can get a little loopy with all the special abilities. Norse/Saxon/etc just wouldn't have had that sort of Cavalry.
The Lombards and such look like really fun lists to me but I haven't messed with them at all, so couldn't say. I definitely like the way they're set up, though, and want to do one someday.
Matt-J2

Postby Nostromo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Northumbria was supposed to have a lot of mounted troops- though I doubt as effective as the Rus-

I was thinking Princes era Rus to allow a little cav-

The fun in the Lombards list would be the mixed units- so warriors and Freeman- plus some awesome Musketeer figures!

But then it starts to look like my other armies in play style!
Nostromo

Postby Matt-J2 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Princes era could work, since you won't have all the Superior cav. It wasn't really the numbers I was worried with, it was quality, but in that list you can't take the great stuff, just the regular types.
Matt-J2

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles