Warhammer Ancients Period Poll

In the grim darkness of the past?

What Warhammer Ancients period most interests you and/or what army would you most be inclined to finish or start?

Poll ended at Thu May 15, 2008 12:33 pm

Biblical or "Chariot" Period. Example: Ancient Egyptians, Trojan War.
No votes
Classical Period. Example: Spartans, Athenians and Persians.
8%
Macedonian and Punic Wars. Example: Alexander the Great, Successors, Hannibal and Republican Rome.
25%
Imperial Rome. Example: Clasic Romans and Barbarians.
8%
Dark Ages. Example: Vikings, Saxons, Late Romans, King Arthur and Byzantium.
42%
Medieval. Example: Crusades, 100 Years War, Vlad the Impaler, El Cid.
17%

Total votes : 12

Warhammer Ancients Period Poll

Postby DavePauwels » Thu May 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Since this has been an on-going issue/discussion, I thought I'd try making my first poll. Answer honestly. When talking about painting a whole army, I would have to fall back to Chris Borer's first rule of painting- "Paint what you want." If your buddies want to paint Romans, but you really want to do Crusaders, you gotta go with what motivates you.

In a very general way, this poll should give us a sense of what periods people are interested in. I tried to be somewhat specific. If a certain army you're interested in/working on doesn't show up- I can give you more specific dates on where (generally) it might fall. I tried to include examples of popular armies.

Barbarians- Celts, Gauls, Britons, Picts and other tribes are great flexible armies period-wise because they can really work for the Punic War through to the early Dark Ages without too much modification. Generally. a Gallic tribesman that fought with Hannibal would pretty much look like a Gallic tribesman that fought against Caesar.

Dave
DavePauwels

Postby slartibartfast » Thu May 08, 2008 12:45 pm

My particular bent is twards the viking period, that is what got me started into looking at the game and is what I keep going back to. Because there is only 1 choice available that is what I chose. Another period I am somewhat interested in is medival. That comes as a distant second right now. I am looking to get my first 500 pts of vikings done first.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Postby timlillig » Thu May 08, 2008 1:39 pm

I prefer the Republican Roman period, generally the Punic Wars and various other people around the Mediterranean.

I'm interested in later periods like Vikings and the Cursades, but not at the scale represented in WAB.
timlillig

Postby shrub34 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:00 pm

I chose Medieval, but I'm starting on my first force of Eastern Steppe Nomads from Art of War.

I could see myself working on a Punic war Roman list or a proper Chinese list, but I'm not sure what period of China's history I would go next.
Thistle & Shrub Studios
Last Update: July 4, 2011 (Tony Ork)
shrub34

Postby Matthias » Thu May 08, 2008 7:33 pm

793! Northumbria beware!
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby EricFletcher » Thu May 08, 2008 10:18 pm

Shieldwall Norse are my favorite to play. Nothing is cooler to me than when a couple berserkers come flying out and do enough damage to break the unit they hit!
" Conan, what is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
EricFletcher

Return to Warhammer Ancients Battles