Hobby Seminars - what do you want to see?

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Hobby Seminars - what do you want to see?

Postby RichN » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:40 pm

What do you like to see in the Adepticon hobby seminars?

What sort of thing gets you in to the class room - is it the the technique taught, the star value of the instructor, scheduling of classes, something else?

When you reply - please mention if you're also playing in tournaments or coming to Adepticon just to take seminars.

For myself:
I took Chris Borer's green stuff class on Sunday - learning to sculpt is a project I've been working on for a few years. Chris's name recognition in the White Dwarf was a major draw. The class was also well scheduled on Sunday afternoon after I'd spent Friday & Saturday working Adepticon events.

Next year I need to find a way to take any class taught by James and Cathy Wappel. I may also be interested in some sort of military or historical painting methods for as a future seminar topic.
Last edited by RichN on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby knitemare » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Next year I'll be playing in the LotR and Fantasy games.

I expect I'll probably play in the WAB and Bloodbowl games as well if they are available.

If the classes/seminars were in the evening or morning (before or after tournaments) then I would be much more likely to attend. Other things that would rope me in would be topics or knowledge that I couldn't find at my local hobby store (which happens to be the chicago bunker). Things like terrain building, green stuff modeling, and conversion techniques.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby Celthulhu » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:39 pm

There are always seminars in the evening, starting as late as 10 pm for those who have tournaments all day.
Celthulhu

Postby Redbeard » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Yeah, that works well. :roll: I was signed up for a 10:30 seminar this year, but because the gladiator was started, and finished, late, I missed it.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby biztheclown » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Here are my thoughts on the major factors:

Swag: I like seminars that are about building something I get to take home.

Novelty: I am not really going to sign up for a seminar about NMM or some other exotic painting technique. I'm just not that good a painter. I am interested in sculpting, moldmaking, terrain building, etc. and would probably be down for those. I am sad that I missed the Chris Borer one. I might also be interested in learning/trying out airbrushing.

Timing: I went to a seminar on Saturday, because I was not in the Team Tournament. I do go to the con for the tournaments though.

I really enjoyed Rich's Hirst Arts Seminar this year, and am looking forward to getting some molds and making a Hirst Sci Fi board. I would highly recommend he continue it and that more people take it. I know I learned a lot, and it made the whole Hirst thing seem much more doable and less intimidating.

For those who don't know about it....
http://www.hirstarts.com/index.html
biztheclown

Postby Huoshini » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:50 pm

I did attend adepticon for the tournies alone but I also had the urge to attend phill kelly's and dave taylor's seminars.

For me, I would like to see GW staffers doing more seminars. I am extatic about the fact that Gee-dubbs reps personally attended. I would like to see more of that!

And though it may not be in the budget, I agree that novelty is a great thing for seminars.

EX. Vehickle weathering- Diving out parts of a vehicle to everyone and then working no it under the instruction of the seminar runner. You could take that home and keep it! Stuff like that keeps me intrested.
G.R.A.M.P.A
AdeptusBrewCityJoe wrote:Yeah I guess you are right.

"When you're in the garage, Bring out the damn dinosaurs!" -Phil Kelly

Lord Sportsman: Adepticon 2010
Huoshini

Postby xNickBaranx » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:02 pm

I like to attend GW staff events like the Jervis Round Table thing (I missed the Phil Kelly one this year).

I kept checking back as well to see what seminar Tim Lison was running. If he ran a sculpting seminar that didn't conflict with the TT or Champs I would take it.
xNickBaranx

Postby Celthulhu » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:37 am

I would like to hear how much interest there is in the higher level painting seminars like the Non-metallic Metals (NMM) or the reflected light (Object Source Lighting) technique that was done last year.
Are there people out there interested in learning potentially Golden Demon winning techniques in a Hands-on, Make and Take class?
Celthulhu

Postby shadowopal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:41 am

Celthulhu wrote:I would like to hear how much interest there is in the higher level painting seminars like the Non-metallic Metals (NMM) or the reflected light (Object Source Lighting) technique that was done last year.
Are there people out there interested in learning potentially Golden Demon winning techniques in a Hands-on, Make and Take class?

These are intersting to me. But, a lot of people just aren't at that level yet. I like the sculpting classes. I like the modeling classes. Rich's hirst arts class is a must do fo everyone in my opinion. With Smooth On being so close, could we maybe convince them to be a sponsor next year and teach a seminar on mold making and casting? Rich has talked about it in his class. But, it never hurts to have an expert there to talk about various materials in case other questions come up.
shadowopal

Postby muwhe » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 am

Excellent idea ..

Smooth-on to be approached.
muwhe
AdeptiCon Oracle

Postby RichN » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:01 am

Sean is referring to http://www.reynoldsam.com/ in La Grange. I proposed them as a sponsor/seminar host this past year but don't know what Greg was able to arrange.

From the feed back so far I see the issues as:

More hands on - people want to do and experiment while in class. Perhaps some seminars need to be more interactive and less theoretical.

More PR - requested items such as post-tournament start times and topics such as sculpting and terrain building are already offered but people don't know about them

More swag - Free is always good. Perhaps the seminar descriptions need to be clearer about which classes have a take home component. I know I walked away from Chris's green stuff class with 3 epoxies samples and 4 new tools.

More Hirst - thanks guys, Ill be sure to teach the seminar again next year.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Hobby seminars

Postby Wappellious » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:46 am

As far as the make and take aspect of the seminars, our seminars always include hands on elements and free stuff :D

I used to teach watercolor and pastel classes/demos, and it was vital to let people actually handle the materials. As I learned myself in art school, I could watch the instructor paint one image after the next, but handling the brushes and paints myself was a whole different world :shock:

A lot of information gets tossed around in that brief 2 hours.. much more than a person could completely absorb if they did not try out such techniques right there in front of the instructor.

Usually I can see if a persons might be struggling with a given technique just by looking at their pallette or even how they hold the brush. I have seen people initially struggle with our technique, and then work their way through it with us helping them along the way :o
Victory goes to the player who makes the next to the last mistake.
Wappellious

Re: Hobby seminars

Postby CitizenNick » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Wappellious wrote:As far as the make and take aspect of the seminars, our seminars always include hands on elements and free stuff :D

Of all the semianrs I've taken at Adepticon, I've always gotten the most out of yours. They're the only ones I've taken with the hands-on element to them.
CitizenNick

Postby StevenSwayze » Fri May 09, 2008 3:07 pm

In the classes I taught, everyone got a wet palette, which I taught em how to make, and then we went over a few painting techniques(that a wet palette makes easier). I had to supply my own minis which I had to keep(hey they were my roomate's grot oilers!).

If I woulda been smarter I would have also supplied a bottle of Vellejo Glaze Medium, and perhaps Privateer Press armor wash, as people were more intrigued about the weathering and glazing techniques then they were about learning wetblending, Layering etc.

I would also for personal reference supply questionaires toget some good feedback from the attendees.
StevenSwayze

Postby Centurian99 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:43 pm

Out of curiosity...is there any desire for a tactics seminar?
Centurian99

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2008