Team Tourney Theme??

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Postby artificer » Wed May 14, 2008 9:25 am

Nidzilla517, this is going to sound a bit blunt, but I'm going to bring it up anyway. Please don't take offense, since it isn't meant to cause such.

Is it possible that the judge just didn't think your theme was worth investigating deeper?

You seem to be searching for some particular 'key' for theming. Maybe your display / theme WAS just average.

Everyone likes to think they've got a kick-ass army/theme/paint scheme, and that's great. People should feel good about the major time commitment that is this hobby. BUT, Adepticon is a contest, and as we all know, not everyone can be a winner.

Many teams, no matter how hard they try, aren't going to ever be in the running to win (either theme/painting or battle/overall). It's a hard fact. There are a few people with SERIOUS skills (either mod-paint or strategy-tactical) that are always going to stomp the others.

People seem to be searching for a 'FOC' for theming, a checklist. The point is, if you are phoning it in and following the checklist with EVERYONE else, guess what... THAT is going to be the new average. And you will STILL be searching for what it is the winning teams are doing that you're not.

Stuff like T-Shirts, banners, etc WILL help get points, but when everyone does that, it will get you AVERAGE points. But what are you planning to do to make your army stand out head and shoulders above the rest? THAT is what is going to win you best theme/appearance/painted, NOT what everyone else is doing.

If it's been done and already won the prize, expect the top 20% of teams to take that into consideration for the next year.

Again, I'm not trying to blast you, I'm just bringing up a possibility that hasn't been voiced yet.
Only the Dead Have Seen The End Of War
- Plato

'07 TT - No More Kicking
'08 TT - Casus Belli
'09 TT - Cede Malis
'10 Paint Judging and Terrain Monkey
artificer

Postby Nidzilla517 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:33 am

[quote="artificer"]Nidzilla517, this is going to sound a bit blunt, but I'm going to bring it up anyway. Please don't take offense, since it isn't meant to cause such.

I get your point, and maybe this year was a real tester. I have built all of the bases and our leader has done all the army lists and did all the fluff stuff. No my base this year was a little bear, and maybe couldv'e needed a little more, but the ones previous were pretty darn good. One year we had all Grey Knights and Stormtroopers, and we got slammed for Theme. We thought that was our year to hammer theme. But no good. I know there is no checklist, but there have got to be some guidelines and THEN he should have an opinion on if it all fits in. But, this is MY opinion...
I just want to be able to have some idea on what theme is all about. Papa Nurgle helped in his post, and I appreciate that. We see teams that get crazy and still get low theme points, why?
This Bugs For You !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nidzilla517

Postby Soulmage » Fri May 16, 2008 11:40 am

I think really it comes down to what the judges like.

Unfortunately, they could never do any kind of checklist or scoring list for theme. Why? Two reasons:

1. It would limit creativity. No explanation really needed there.

2. Adepticon is too hard core for that.

What I mean by that second one is think about the type of event Adepticon is. No matter what you put on a them checklist, no matter how outrageous or over the top you make some of the points. . . there will probably be a half dozen teams that will do that, and then a little bit extra to try to beat out the competition. . . . and then you're right back to where we are today - judges having to make subjective judgement calls.
Soulmage

Postby Nidzilla517 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Soulmage wrote:I think really it comes down to what the judges like.

Unfortunately, they could never do any kind of checklist or scoring list for theme. Why? Two reasons:

1. It would limit creativity. No explanation really needed there.

2. Adepticon is too hard core for that.

What I mean by that second one is think about the type of event Adepticon is. No matter what you put on a them checklist, no matter how outrageous or over the top you make some of the points. . . there will probably be a half dozen teams that will do that, and then a little bit extra to try to beat out the competition. . . . and then you're right back to where we are today - judges having to make subjective judgement calls.

I guess I am beating a dead horse. So I will shut up now and just do MY best and hope for the judges to see all the hard work I put into it.
This Bugs For You !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nidzilla517

Previous

Return to AdeptiCon 2008