Round 1 Seeding

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Postby langstraad » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:09 pm

My abrasive view aside.

Rhysk had some constructive ideas in his post above. Using non-battle scores to influence third and fourth round pairings.
"We are going to play this game the way Erik Lange would, vicious and cruel, even the women and children must die" - Barry

"You ask the stupidest questions on AWC" -Turtle
langstraad

Postby Matthias » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:34 pm

Zero_Cool wrote:I believe that everyone is trying to come up with ideas to make the event better and better each year and to help eliminate any negative feelings that some participants may have. IMO Random pairings will prevent anyone feeling they had "special" (good or bad) treatment in the event.

That sums up my feelings. While the general idea of a progressively more difficult road is interesting and fun, it does enter the realm of special treatment and would be impossible to enforce across the board.
Matthias
Techpriest

Postby Rowtiger » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Ok I have 2 cents to toss in here, To possibly make it a fair what if ( an this is a big what if, so feel free to call me an a##hat for posting ), when the teams sign in, the team capt. draws a table number from a bowl/box ( double numbers of the main table of each table set - 2x 1, 2x 5, 2x 9 and so on )This can be repeated in each new round as the teams turn in their score sheets at the end of the round prior round. teams are only allowed to pair up 1 set of players only once durring the tourny ( player a+b, a+c, a+d, a+?). If a team doubles more than one set of players in the tourny, then the team up forfits it's scores for that round. This should keep everything in all fairness, in playing a completely player made random teams pairing. Then again this could possibly be my most dumbest idea to date?

I'm just thinking this might cancel the mega posts of how pairing is done. could you really complain if lady luck (or the gods, depending how you want to look at it) tossed you a good or bad roll. Your skills on the battle field would then be up to you to win or lose the tourny, no one to point a finger at except your dice.

"Let the dice fall where they may and make the best of it." Gary Gygax
Rowtiger

Postby Primarch » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:42 pm

they already force you to play with different teammates every round but the 4th, when someone has to double up.

Clay
Primarch

Postby Rowtiger » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:06 pm

I couldn't remeber if it was a judges pairing choice or a players choice, So I added that line cause I was thinking on the whole as a players option. Sorry for the mix up on my typing, being blond it happens a lot to me. :wink:
Rowtiger

Postby Primarch » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:25 pm

No worries, happens to me all the time ;)

Clay
Primarch

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:36 pm

We are fine either way whether it is preseeding or not. Personally, I want the preseeding because we get to knock out a contender right off the bat. None of this tieing BS the first round like DD1 and CB. :wink:

Please note that Langstraad. We are former champions and prefer the preseeding.

Finally, seeding or not in 2009 won't really matter. We're done with this 2nd and 3rd place BS from the past three years. All hell is going to be unleashed with the overall championship coming back to Toledo where it belongs. 8)
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Postby Primarch » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 pm

Finally, seeding or not in 2009 won't really matter. We're done with this 2nd and 3rd place BS from the past three years. All hell is going to be unleashed with the overall championship coming back to Atlanta where it belongs. Cool

Fixed. ;)

Clay
Primarch

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:56 pm

LOL. Good call.
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Postby Blackmoor » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:56 pm

I would be for seeding if we get to play team 2 Oblit/Saim Heinous/Glance in round #1.

But since we can't I am against it.
Blackmoor

Postby Inquisitor_Malice » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:15 am

Blackmoor wrote:I would be for seeding if we get to play team 2 Oblit/Saim Heinous/Glance in round #1.

But since we can't I am against it.

Bill would just know he owes me a steak in Toledo that much earlier in the day. :wink:
- Greg
Inquisitor_Malice

Postby Wild_Bill » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:28 am

Wild_Bill wrote:In context of Adepticon and the large # of players in each event.

Seeding the first round based on a preceived "skill" level is a flat out INSULT to any one not personally known by the organizer. It delievers the message that if the judge never heard of you, your not that good.

Arranging "Grudge" matches in the first round is also an unfair practice. One side plots and plans then issues a Grudge style challenge against a preceived nemesis. The nemesis hasn't spent the last 4 months plotting so great defensive scheme is at a disadvantage. But what are they going to do, saying no to the challenge causes them to lose face and be labeled as chickens. If grudge matches are allowed then you can expect a sharp increase of players wandering the halls early chatting up players, until they find a newbie whose army is ill prepared to handle theirs, and then BINGO the issue of a grudge match challenge against someone they never even faced before. Just so they can get an easy win.

The first round should be random with the only seeding being seperate people from the same club. After that let the scores decide.

I would like to take a moment to apologize to anyone who the above post may have inadvertantly offended. I did not mean suggest that Adepticon or any other large con does seed first rounds. But apon rereading it, I can see how it may have been interpreted that way. My bad. I apologize. The intial post was aimed at answering this question from Papa_Nurgle

Basically, is it better to seed the "known" players in round 1 and then swiss seed from there, or is it better to be completely random?
What are your thoughts, and how would you do it?

Again I apologize for any confusion and return you to your normal discussion.
"Sometimes, when Fred dreams he calls out Wild Bill." - Mrs. Fortman
Wild_Bill

Postby Carrick » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:26 pm

Random. Then we can get table numbers as soon as we get into the hall, set our armies up on the tables we are going to play on, get our painting judged straight away.
Adepticon '08 - Sixth Worst 40k Sportsman.
Adepticon '09 - Ninth Worst 40k Sportsman.
Carrick

Previous

Return to AdeptiCon 2008