Fluff!

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Do you think it is better to write your own fluff and build an army to support that or to try and build an army that is representative of fluff if the books?

Books only.!!! I am a Rule book and codex Thumper!
23%
Mad Scientist!!! My Army makes sense to me!!
10%
Somewhere in between.
42%
Who cares Lets roll sum dice!
26%

Total votes : 31

Fluff!

Postby warprat13 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Do you guys like armys that represent all the fluff that GW makes(ex ultramariens) or Do you perfer to see armys where to mad scientists of the warhammer world twist the gw fluff ,ad to it ,make it their own and build a army around that.(ex made up second founding space marine chapters)?
warprat13

Postby Varrus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:25 pm

First vote, woohoo.

I'm somewhere in between, because as long as an army has a cohesive story behind it, and the models and army list reflect that story, I don't care if you wrote it yourself or took it straight from a book.
+++Vae Victis+++
Varrus

Postby Papa_Nurgle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:07 pm

I really don't care.

For example, I love the orks at a movie theater and the old Army of Darkness army. The plague marines with Brains for heads - too cool for school.

But I also like to play the game. As long as I'm rolling dice and rubbing my (or someone near to me) belly, I'm a happy camper. Heck, sometimes I don't even need the miniatures.

And why is this in the Adepticon section?
Team TnA Founding Member.
WHABSAB!
Every Time you use the word "fluff," a kitten dies.

Purple ticket owner.
Papa_Nurgle

Postby artificer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:08 pm

For me, it's somewhere in between.

So much of an army, IMO, boils down to execution. An awesomely converted and turned out UM force (normally pretty bland) can be just as WOW as a totally unique army completely generated by the individual.

That said, it is annoying when 'the lost legion' shows up, or how crazy 'fluff' writers all seem to glom onto the 2nd founding. Or simply crap that would never happen in the 40k-vers. (female marines, hello kitty/cross-branding).
Only the Dead Have Seen The End Of War
- Plato

'07 TT - No More Kicking
'08 TT - Casus Belli
'09 TT - Cede Malis
'10 Paint Judging and Terrain Monkey
artificer

Postby warprat13 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 pm

I guess this is in the adepticon section because after reading all the diff ideas on theme and how we should be judged, I wondered what most peoples thoughts on fluff ( a part of theme) were. Thought of posting it elsewhere but wanted adepticon players thoughts as their comments were the ones that spured my original idea for the poll.
warprat13

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:39 pm

Unique fluff/background is all good.

However, for the purposes of theme scoring in a tournament you should be able to summarize your background in one paragraph at the maximum.

I think the "fluff packet" is cool for local events but at Adepticon it seems like most of them just don't get read.
Brian

Postby warprat13 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:59 pm

I agree about most of them not getting read, sorta.
I actualy like to read that sorta thing. Props to anyone who makes them. At an event like adepticon though I never have the time to give them a proper go through. Also, not this year but in past years I have had opponents that have awsome army info packets but only had the one! We have enough time issues without me spending 15 min to read it before a game starts. Usualy they just get a quick thumb through. As for the team tourny I have had teams that only give us one packet per team to keep. I realize these things cost money to make but it sucks when you don't have time to look at the packet thoughly and your team is spread out all over the country one of the packets I would really love to spend some time with is now very far away.
I do agree about suming it up in a paragraph. Maybe if points were going to be awarded they could be awarded for sumthing like that with whole books and packets adding to a wow score.
warprat13

Postby GregSwanson » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:06 pm

I just like to rub Mick's belly........
That crazy fireman!
I am not smart but I can lift heavy things!
In the grim darkness of the future, there is only war. There are not massive army costume parties and campy parade floats. - xNickBaranx
GregSwanson

Postby appleton_cop » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:18 am

belly rub is my vote, fluff is for kittens
Sometimes you win, Sometimes you lose, Sometimes it Rains, Think about that for a while....

Nuke: Bull Durham
appleton_cop

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:24 am

Well, I'll have to take the "books only" response, even tho a rather biased set of responses is offered.

I play 40k/ Fantasy for the fluff and models...When I see a pink necron army or a baseball team of ogres...I have the same reaction as playing against unpainted models-a strong desire to vomit.
Anaxagoras

Postby Papa_Nurgle » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:45 am

Yes, but you're a snob and nobody wants to rub your belly. Neener neener neener.

I still like the Orks of Hazzard.

Oh, and I respect your opinion. I would just respect it more if it were right. ;)
WHABSAB!

Purple ticket owner.
Papa_Nurgle

Postby warprat13 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 pm

I have been realy surprized how many people don't care, aka just wanna role dice. Nothin wrong with that! The results are just confimin what I already suspected. Most people don't care what ya play as long as you play! Of the four armys I currently have in a playable state, three go along with the books xactly only one is a mad scientist creation. But most importantly they are all fun!
warprat13

Postby CitizenNick » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:37 pm

I don't really see why you would have to choose between building your own fluff or following fluff. Maybe I don't understand what you're asking.

Personally, I'm more into the background and the miniatures than I am the mechanics of the game. The thing is, the 40k universe is a big place with lots of facets to explore.

I think the best armies fit perfectly into the background, but have their own twist on it.
CitizenNick

Postby warprat13 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:22 pm

I don't really see why you would have to choose between building your own fluff or following fluff. Maybe I don't understand what you're asking.

You don't have to choose. But being able to choose what you want to build is what makes warhammer a great hobby. Everyone has a different take. I guess I am almost asking people to sterotype themselves. And I seriously doubt anyone would fit exactly into any one of those categorys. I in no way ment this to be a serious poll I just wandered what people liked to build, play and look at regarding army background.
There have def been sum interesting comments
thanks to all!
BTW
Whats up wit the belly rub? is this a for luck thing?
I got a buddy that does a pretty mean happy orc shamen dance.
warprat13

Postby Papa_Nurgle » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Warprat,
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
WHABSAB!

Purple ticket owner.
Papa_Nurgle

Next

Return to AdeptiCon 2008