Rogue Demons 2008

The place to discuss all that was! Visit the AdeptiCon website (www.adepticon.org) for past coverage, event results and photos!

Rogue Demons 2008

Postby DavePauwels » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:05 pm

I've gotten some questions/comments (all positive) so I just wanted to post a quick sort of debriefing about this years Rogue Demon painting competition. First, congrats to all the winners. The RDs are becoming noticeably tougher and, though I think the overall number of entries was down slightly from last year, the quality was still there.

A number of Golden Demon regulars now participate and the RDs are certainly better for it.

One issue we had involved some entries that had actually placed in other competitions, specifically the Golden Demons. We ended up disqualifying any model that had previously placed. Because this rule wasn't as clearly stated as it could've been (and certainly will be going forward) the painters weren't disqualified, just the particular winning models. So definitely not a huge deal. Just not in the "spirit" of the competition.

Again, the quality was such that if you placed in any category, you should be extremely proud. There weren't any "tuna" categories and there were a lot of great models that didn't end up placing. So, on behalf of the judging staff, thanks to all the participants.

If you have any specific questions- feel free to PM me.

Dave
DavePauwels

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Any chance you can limit entries to one per person?

I think one person entering models into every category is a little excessive. Or, perhaps charge an extra fee for entering more than one model? I just see this being abused in the future.

Ed
Ed

Postby knitemare » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Ed wrote:Any chance you can limit entries to one per person?

I think one person entering models into every category is a little excessive. Or, perhaps charge an extra fee for entering more than one model? I just see this being abused in the future.

Ed

I don't think there is anything wrong with entering a model in each category. Entering the SAME model in multiple categories or multiple models in one category would be an abuse. Entering different models in all of the different categories and doing well would take a crazy amount of talent. I'd love to see that.
It's only about painting now.
knitemare

Postby DavePauwels » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:09 am

Limiting the categories you can enter isn't something we'd ever do. If you have the fortitude to enter every category, then you should certainly be able to. The Golden Demons or other national competitions, like GenCon, don't have category limits and the Rogue Demons will continue to follow their lead in that respect.

As far as multiple entries in the same category- this is a different matter altogether. We've discussed the possibility that now, since we are getting more entries than we used to, limiting the entrant to one entry per category. I could be wrond here (someone might be able to correct me) but I think you could still enter two entries per category this year. This may change for 2009. If you have an opinion- let me know.

The reason why we'd allow multiple entries in one category would be, obviously, to populate the competition with more models. This was an issue when the RDs were just starting out. But over the last few years, the competition has certainly grown to where we're at a point to revisit this subject.

DP
DavePauwels

Return to AdeptiCon 2008