GW corporate philosophy

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

GW corporate philosophy

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:58 am

http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2013/08/ ... kshop.html

A very interesting blog post about the structure and philosophy of GW. Written by a former CEO and researched.
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: GW corporate philosophy

Postby Redbeard » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks for posting this, it's a good read.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby xNickBaranx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:57 am

Great article.

People love to bash on GW and they have since I first got into the hobby around 1994/95. One thing that I've learned in the last 20 years (and that some of my former GW co-workers will echo) is that NO COMPANY we have worked for since we worked for GW has been as fanatical about training and management and they continually adapt. I worked for one national property management company that came close, Archstone-Smith, but every other company I've worked for since GW have either been too young to have their shit together or too old and ass-backwards to change or try new ideas. When most people are complaining about GW's changes I can usually see the overall advantages. I still wish GW did some things differently, but not because they are the most advantageous option to them, but because I'm selfish and I want what I want. But I can see the difference and it doesn't get all muddled for me like it does for a lot of people who see "what they want" as "business gold".

Regardless, I love this very "nuts and bolts" analysis of GW. I do hope they don't end up selling to some place like Hasbro but that's just me. Anyway, recommended reading for sure.
xNickBaranx

Postby RichN » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:51 pm

A great read for a quiet day before a holiday, but the article petered out towards the end. The author set up a great proof that GW management did the best they could to benefit their shareholders at the cost of customer satisfaction, but he never completed the proof that poor customer sat will eventually drive down shareholder return. It seems to be an unstated assumption that driving off some (but not all) of your customers is bad for business - an accusation which has been made for some time, but has not yet been proven to be true.

Not that I have a dog in this fight, I have not played 40K since 4th edition & the last time I bought GW merchandise was about 2 years ago when I paid "table rent" at game store for a historicals tournament.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby xNickBaranx » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Rich, Did you read parts 1 and 2? Because in part 2 he says it's likely going to have a Part 3 and/or Part 4.

The important thing to note though is that the customer dissatisfaction has always been there. The first thing I was taught when I went to work for GW in 1998 was overcoming "price objections" and I spent endless hours listening to customers complain about what GW "should" be doing. The nerd rage we see on the internet is both frustrating and fascinating. "Why doesn't GW release everything faster?" evolving into "GW is releasing everything too fast, the game is a mess!" GW has been listening to most of what the customer base has wanted for years (aside from lowering prices) and people "seem" more upset than ever, but will internet perception pan out in the numbers?

The explosion of GW Digital in the last 3 months wasn't even touched on in the article, but it reinforces some of the author's points and I'm really curious to see how it is reflected in the end of year numbers. Some of the nerd rage is AGAINST these products, but once again, many people have been demanding them for years. How will it all pan out in the end?

Personally, I think there will always be an angry mob of "fans" outside GW's gates with torches and pitchforks, but GW has proven to be insanely adaptable and has pushed the limits constantly, yet continue to stand. Somehow I don't see that changing anytime soon - but if that rumored 7th Edition 40K did come at the 2 year mark as some are rumoring... That's one thing I could see causing a real hurt to their customer base. We'll see.
xNickBaranx

Postby RichN » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 pm

I read all 7 parts. The author had a good thing going in parts 1 and 2, laying out the value GW management has created for their shareholders. Parts 3-7 just start "nerd raging" without telling us how the nerd rage will adversely affect company value. As you said Nick, GW's customers have been complaining since 1998 and it has had little to no impact on the company.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Return to News & Rumors