Bunker Closing

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

Re: Bunker Closing

Postby Nightspawn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:19 pm

I have meet most of you from this forum and others just by going to the bunker. It was more than a regular gaming place for me. All the good and the bad that came from having it around, it will still be heavly missed by me.

@Homer - Bad taste to use this post for a plug for your store.
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member Wait! That doesn't sound right.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LENGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
Nightspawn

Postby Redbeard » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:53 am

I disagree with you Nightspawn, I think that it's a perfectly reasonable for Homer to plug his store in a thread about GW's corporate mentality abandoning a location that was widely used by the community. He's offering the community an alternative to what is being taken from it.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:08 am

marineplayer01 wrote:Bunker closing? This is good news. Its about time GW starting feeling the brunt of their ridiculous pricing schemes, copyright mongering and treating customers like garbage. This means their bottom line is suffering. I mean after all only the true fan boys buy into their marketing and consistently dump half their wages on their overpriced product.

Good riddance this place was a festering wart on the ass of all gamers

Actually it does not mean any of those things.... Not sure if you know anything about investments or about how a company is run but Games Workshop is not in business to make sure your happy and having a great time.

They make a product and they have a group of people who identify pricing points that generate the most potential revenue for the company. Not sure if you have been keeping up with GW but they have been doing very well since taking a almost company ending hit back in 2008. The company has seemed to come back strong and shown that they are a contender.

Thats why they have been preparing for a big buy out that will most likely come in the next year. GW is feeling no burn and closing the bunker and a lot more of their locations is probably a great business decision. Prepare to see Games Workshop models in Target / Walmart and other local stores when they get bought out by some of the big name companies interested in the hobby.

The bunker was a fantastic place for a lot of people on this forum and to hear your ignorant donkey cave post is not needed. Why don't you go crawl under a bridge and keep your negative opinions to yourself.

And homer screw that guy plug your store and thanks for taking a big risk and opening the store.... Sucks you didn't wait a little while longer to potentially take the bunkers spot! I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have success with your location. I will try to make it out there soon.

Alan Bajramovic
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Chubs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Hasbro talk again? :P
The handsome face of 2T1C
Chubs

Postby msears » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Redbeard wrote:I disagree with you Nightspawn, I think that it's a perfectly reasonable for Homer to plug his store in a thread about GW's corporate mentality abandoning a location that was widely used by the community. He's offering the community an alternative to what is being taken from it.

Agreed, if he were to say something disparaging about a competitor that would be another issue, but he is just giving another option, Draxtar is a good store run by great people as well, you should all check it out. Wish it wasn't so damn far from me, luckily it is just a stone's throw from my ma's place so I can swing by when I visit.
msears

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:58 am

You know, I've done my share of posts where I've bastardizes GW for a variety of things lately, but I can see that I'm not the only one upset with GW. All I can speak for is myself, but others may feel the same way I do. The Bunker and GW's games will always be fond memories for me. I miss them. I look at GW as like an old friend from grade school who I've known for years and who I had a lot of fun playing games with. Great memories. But then we entered high school and my dear friend, GW, started to hang out with a different crowd. My friend, GW, started to change. He started binge drinking, doing drugs, or whatever and no longer looked at me as someone he cared for or about. I saw these changes in my friend, GW, and my response was anger. Why would you do this to me after all that we've done together and all the fun we had. When my questions where not answered the way I wanted, I lashed out, angry at my friend who basically turned it's back to me and walked away. Well, I've made my peace. The bridge has been burned and not by me either. My old friend, GW, is gone. What remains is something, well it doesn't matter what remains except for the memories. Perhaps I can build those memories again with someone else. It's those memories and comradeship with fellow gamers that I really want and need. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:43 am

YeezyMozart wrote:That huge paragraph up there about how GW is actually doing good.

Um.... I just read the Q2 report..... and I could not be more wrong..... They are doing horrible now !!!! I will admit I did not read a earnings report in over a year and since they are UK they work in halfs not quarters. This last half is soooo bad.

Really concerns me.... I wonder what will happen if their numbers continue this way?
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby cjputrich » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:40 pm

YeezyMozart wrote:
YeezyMozart wrote:That huge paragraph up there about how GW is actually doing good.

Um.... I just read the Q2 report..... and I could not be more wrong..... They are doing horrible now !!!! I will admit I did not read a earnings report in over a year and since they are UK they work in halfs not quarters. This last half is soooo bad.

Really concerns me.... I wonder what will happen if their numbers continue this way?

Where did you find an updated report? The last I can find is from July and it's actually favorable - not sunshine and rainbows, but still pretty decent.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby rosco » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:55 pm

now they're doing horrible?? what do you expect when the accountants get in charge? I've seen first hand how awful it is to have to work in a retail type business with a bean counter in charge. the guy has dam near destroyed his daddy's company that was handed to him. like gw he has cut back to skeleton crews at the 2 service shops and wonders why morale of the company is in the crapper. he also wonders why the profits aren't going through the roof when he's cut back so far and raised mark-ups on parts and raised the hourly rate.

but on topic, the bunker is almost empty thanks to hq taking apps for the 1 man store. it'll suck when it goes, but we the community were here long before the bunker and hopefully will be around long after.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby seahawk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:04 pm

I tried looking for that report and couldn't find it. Linky pleases??
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby sangheili » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 pm

I don't know why ppl keep making a huge deal. Yes it sucks that it's closing it is a good place to hobby and play games. But there's a lot of stores around and I've found myself gaming at ppls houses now more than the bunker
sangheili

Postby JPA » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:52 pm

It looks like the bunker will close January 25th.

https://www.facebook.com/GWChicagoBunker
JPA

Postby Paulson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Moving to the downtown area across from the train station? Ugh.

Traffic in downtown Downers is horrible and parking will need to be done in the garage about two blocks away assuming it's not full of commuter cars. It's a lot closer to my house but the old location is so much better in terms of parking and people's ability to get there from the highway. Having worked in downtown Downers the parking situation is complete crap. The location is also very pricey, they could have done much better if they picked a location closer to either of the high schools.

Hopefully Tim and crew will stay on after the move as they are great guys I'd miss them.
Paulson

Postby rosco » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:30 pm

it gets worse than that. wait till the summer with the car shows on Friday night--- ZERO parking, not even in the fancy parking garage till after 9ish when it ends and the shop will be closed. anywhere else but downtown would be a good spot. the corporate goons probably hired a new guy to deal with it.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby Paulson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Fridays are horrid, I delivered for Giordannos 2 years back which was right around the corner from their new location and Friday's are next to impossible due to the traffic and parking. Plus that stuff starts filling up around 3:30-4:00 so it'll likely kill any business they might look to have on Fridays.

For the restaurants the increased foot traffic on Fridays is a huge sales booster but it doesn't help the retail stores much. Thankfully Fair Game doesn't carry GW products so the GW presence isn't competing with them. Fair Game holds Magic events on Fridays but I've always bowed out attending those due to the car show traffic issues.

I'm glad that they are still going to have a store in the area so I can still get stuff without needing to do the drive to Games Plus, but the location wasn't picked very well.

I'd been looking at a lot of store fronts as I'd be looking at opening a store 4 years ago, the rent in the downtown area is easily 30%-40% higher than locations near the highschools or on Ogden. It's likely less than what they are paying for the location on butterfield but it's quite over priced and I don't think the type of foot traffic that GW will see from the down town area is going to offer any sort of boost in sales as it's mostly commuter professionals and not gamer types.
Paulson

PreviousNext

Return to News & Rumors