Bunker Closing

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

Re: Bunker Closing

Postby Son of Sanguinius » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:44 pm

If the bunker does close and go to a small 2 table shop, where do all of you plan on going? Personally I am setting a table up in my basement.
Have a nice day.
Chris
Son of Sanguinius

Postby Spleendokta » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:04 pm

About a month ago I had thoughts of getting back into the hobby. I dusted off about 5k points of painted tallarn guard, and started looking at the huge unassembled orc army I have. Took a peak at warseer and then here at AWC. I saw the Chicago battle bunker is either closing, downsizing to a 1 man closet, or is already closed (I live in Joliet). I hear a decision will be made after the lease is up in January? So may just wait and see till after the new year if its even worth it to get back into this hobby which I loved. However with no place to meet up or socialize with gamers... whats the point.

Mike.
War isn't about who's right, it's about who's left.
Spleendokta

Postby Redbeard » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Gaming at a store isn't the only way to do it. There's a group of us in the south burbs who play regularly at our houses, with the added benefit that we can have a beer.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Nightspawn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Spleendokta wrote:I saw the Chicago battle bunker is either closing, downsizing to a 1 man closet, or is already closed (I live in Joliet). I hear a decision will be made after the lease is up in January? So may just wait and see till after the new year if its even worth it to get back into this hobby which I loved.

The lease ends in October. They are extending the lease on a month to month until the new store opens then the bunker will be open for two weeks just to send people to the new location and hand out flyers for the new location.
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member Wait! That doesn't sound right.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LENGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
Nightspawn

Postby rosco » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:28 am

well the staff at the bunker is trying to keep it business as usual until a final date is thrown down. apparently the closet/one man store is having issues or else the bunker would be history all ready.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby seahawk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm

Don't forget Draxtar; just because the Bunker will be gone, that doesn't mean the brick and mortars will be.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby rosco » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:51 pm

yes quite a few of us know of other brick and mortar stores like games plus and draxtar. down side is if I don't schedule something with a friend before hand I can walk in there and not get a game in, or I have to carry stuff for 2+ games in the off chance I get to play a game of anything. big downside at plus is the scheduling of the backroom for games so a quick pickup game doesn't exist.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby Spleendokta » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Yeah that's what i'm afraid of. I've only ever played GW games. I'd hate to walk into a brick and mortar store looking for a game of fantasy/40k and find nothing but MTG or Pookymon. You walk into the bunker, and you now its game on in probably less than 20 minutes shouting for a match. I've never been a good player, so getting some 'learning' games in was always easy at the bunker and I feel that just wont happen outside of a GW store, I could be wrong. Ill just wait and see what happens.
War isn't about who's right, it's about who's left.
Spleendokta

Postby Lordgoober » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:31 am

Heh, according to someone over on IWFB, the Bunker is no longer in the store listings as of the latest White Dwarf. Draxtar it is for me.
Lordgoober

Postby seahawk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:12 am

It shouldn't be that hard to arrange a battle on the forums here. There's even a whole subforum just for it! :D

Otherwise, look into the different stores to see if there's a specified game night when you know you'll be able to get a pick up game. For instance, New Game In Town in Dekalb has Thursdays designated as minis night. 40k, Fantasy, WM/H, Infinity will all generally be easy to get a game with, and it's a laid back group.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:13 am

Son of Sanguinius wrote:If the bunker does close and go to a small 2 table shop, where do all of you plan on going? Personally I am setting a table up in my basement.

It'll either be Draxtar or my basement. Been working on flushing out my gaming area so I'm good to go for at least two solid 4x6

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

Postby swampthing » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:24 am

People already heavily invested in the hobby will find a way to deal with the closing/ downsizing of the bunker. It is the amount of fresh meat coming into the hobby that will be heavily affected. The Bunker served GW primarely as a draw for the curious and as a "home base" for those whose curiosity was aroused. In the long run, I think this decision by GW will hurt the hobby locally if not nationally. Its what happens when you dont see the forest for the trees, something that Accountants are known for. Regardless, now it will be up to us to perpetuate this hobby that weve come to love, but dont expect any checks from the marketing department at GW for doing their job.
swampthing

Postby homer@DG » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:08 pm

Hey all. If you don't know me yet, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Homer, Store Manager of Draxtar Games.

Do you remember the first time you walked into the Bunker? I do. The place was packed and everyone was having fun. You had people at the paint bar, people playing games, and others there to participate in the amazing events.

Do you remember the first time you walked into Games Plus? I do. Wall to wall of cool products to enjoy and enhance my hobby.

That is our goal for Draxtar Games. We are working hard to bring that to this area of Chicago. We are proud to announce we can now hold events to cater to 36 player tournaments (4x6 tables). Our focus for November is to build and paint more terrain. We are working very hard!

If you haven't had to come visit our shop yet, I'd like to personal invite you to come check out our facility. We are a new shop (just 5 months old)located on the border of Batavia and Aurora. We carry an assortment of games as well as host events. On Saturday, November 16th, we will be hosting our Game Day event. Its a great day to come check out the games we carry as well as get to know our community. Play games, get raffle tickets and win prizes.

If you have any question, please feel to contact me or Dan at (630)454-4584 or check us out on Facebook at draxtargames.com
homer@DG

Postby marineplayer01 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Bunker closing? This is good news. Its about time GW starting feeling the brunt of their ridiculous pricing schemes, copyright mongering and treating customers like garbage. This means their bottom line is suffering. I mean after all only the true fan boys buy into their marketing and consistently dump half their wages on their overpriced product.

Good riddance this place was a festering wart on the ass of all gamers
marineplayer01

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:41 pm

marineplayer01 wrote:Bunker closing? This is good news. Its about time GW starting feeling the brunt of their ridiculous pricing schemes, copyright mongering and treating customers like garbage. This means their bottom line is suffering. I mean after all only the true fan boys buy into their marketing and consistently dump half their wages on their overpriced product.

Good riddance this place was a festering wart on the ass of all gamers

Do you need a hug? Sorry but why are you on a games workshop gaming club page?

The bunker really provided a lot of gaming space for us over the last 10 years and allowed the community for a place to play. If it wasn't for that a lot of the players here would have never gotten a chance to play games. Granted over the years the focus on the shop has drifted but even now it is a clean, spacious play to play games.

Cheers,
BC
Cptn_Snuggles

PreviousNext

Return to News & Rumors