Bunker Closing

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

Bunker Closing

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:21 am

So we all know that there is a strong likelihood of the Chicago Battle Bunker Closing in October.

Assuming this happens I would like to start planning for the AWC Tournament League. I have several ideas but I do want to make sure I ask the community as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where we could move the event that would be able to accommodate our size of 24 Players?

Thanks,
Alan Bajramovic
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Re: Bunker Closing

Postby seahawk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am

Draxtar.

Told you guys this would need to be planned out early. ;)
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby YeezyMozart » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:05 pm

seahawk wrote:Draxtar.

Told you guys this would need to be planned out early. ;)

Thats super helpful. Thanks bro!
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

YeezyMozart

Postby tulkasulmar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Draxtar is the only one near the Bunker.

Unfortunately, they open at 12.
(2014)
Painted:
255 bases/trays
10 Demons
74 Astra Militarum/Militarum Tempestus
68 Grey Knights/Inquisition
15 Adepta Sororitas
1 Fortifications
192 Commission
tulkasulmar

Postby seahawk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm sure they could be persuaded to open earlier when they're gonna have a big crowd?
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby cjputrich » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:17 pm

They're open super late on the weekends (like midnight). Maybe shift the time of the event?

Either way, Homer from Draxtar posts on here every now and then so perhaps he'll see this or you could message him.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich

Postby Tskruse » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 am

Personally I like the idea of persuading them to open early. It's nice to be done kinda in the late afternoon/early evening for the people that have to drive a ways.
Check out my stuff on CMON!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/browse/browseid/6668684

***I accept commissions. Just send me a personal message***
Tskruse

Postby JPA » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:42 am

This will take a bit of work to pull off but we could rent a meeting room at a hotel or something for the day and bring ready made terrain/green sheets. :D
JPA

Postby CmdrVimes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Hotel meeting rooms might be a little expensive unless you make the events very large. Park districts, libraries or other public buildings would be a better bet.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby Shawn-C-Carroll » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 am

Not exactly the bunker, but the Orland Square Mall store is closing this month.

Games Workshop: Orland Square
The Orland Square Hobby Center will close it's doors for the last time on Wednesday, September 25th. You are invited to stop in and celebrate the many shared battles and pinnacle moments that have taken place at the store! Fear not - there are other stores close as hand such as the Chicago Bunker and the Lake View Plaza Hobby Center.

Find out what events are coming up at the nearby stores on their Facebook pages!
Shawn-C-Carroll

Postby prion2001 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Interesting, no mention of moving to a one man store. This is what the store staff had been saying would happen and I thought I'd heard they had signed a lease for a strip mall location. Wonder if that is still happening?
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Boromir
Check out my painting blog at http://www.fivearmies.blogspot.com
Shop Gorgon Studios. http://www.gorgon-studios.com
prion2001

Postby Brian » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:18 pm

As a club we certainly have some pull with the management at the Westin. We fill that place up once a year every year.

I wonder if Hank Edley could point us to someone over there who could cut us a deal on a ballroom once a month. Getting the terrain built is no problem; we just need the space. I doubt very much that ballroom/meeting room space is in high demand on Saturdays or Sundays.

If we do have to move to a hotel conference room or something then we could have beer. So that's an upside.
Brian

Postby swampthing » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Brian wrote:As a club we certainly have some pull with the management at the Westin. We fill that place up once a year every year.

I wonder if Hank Edley could point us to someone over there who could cut us a deal on a ballroom once a month. Getting the terrain built is no problem; we just need the space. I doubt very much that ballroom/meeting room space is in high demand on Saturdays or Sundays.

If we do have to move to a hotel conference room or something then we could have beer. So that's an upside.

and we could swear !!!
swampthing

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:24 pm

The AWC league will live long and prosper!

YeezyMozart

Postby BigWaaagh » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:07 pm

The potential loss of the Bunker and a gaming room that big will be felt by the community on many different levels. And yes, the club will live long and prosper, but make no mistake, AWC's prospering was certainly aided by having a thriving and bustling GW Chicago Bunker, with it's big gaming area, recruiting and promoting the hobby...and AWC! A hotel meeting room, although suitable for the immediate need, just doesn't quite compare. The decline and transformation of the Chicago Bunker from what it was 4 or 5 years ago to what it is today is something to be mourned. I, for one, hope it doesn't close simply because it provides another means for our hobby community to come together. Unfortunately, seeing the writing on the wall with the other Bunkers around the country, it appears a fait accompli!
BigWaaagh

Next

Return to News & Rumors