2nd Bunker in US closed

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

Re: 2nd Bunker in US closed

Postby Kuma » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:11 am

I dont know man, I have played SOOOO many games. I really liked some of the old ones ( like chronopia! that was a cool game!) I played hordes/warmachine, I tried infinity, dust, dark ages, and a few others. I always come back to GW games. I think that the fact that I can find a game of 40k or fantasy really easy is a wonderful thing. Not so much with the other games (asside from warmachine/hordes, I can always find a game for them, but I detest the assasination aspect of the game-its a dealbreaker for me).
Also by sticking with GW, I dont have a ton of useless minis for a game that doesn't exist anymore.
Kuma

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 am

DaGrippster wrote: I went in to one of the stores in champaign one time; there was literally a cat shit on the middle of the floor. The store had a cat, which the owner let roam the floor, it shit on the floor, and it had clearly been a few days with no action taken to remove it. I walked out and never went back.

LOL oh I could just see your face at the moment you saw the shit on the floor and I laughed so hard just now.
I knew a man who once said, ”Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.”

Chicago Kamikazes: http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com/
YeezyMozart

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:51 am

Kuma, just wait, GW will take care of you having minis for a game that you can't use anymore. Trust me. That is one of the things that I really didn't like about GW. I started with Rogue Trader and I have quite a few minis that with new editions were not usable. I understand what you're saying and I hope things stay the same for you. Don't count on in. Have a plan B in place because things don't look good for GW.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby eilif » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Very sad to hear about the Bunker potentially closing. The bunker was part of my coming back to GW post-College.
Even though I've been playing non-GW stuff at friends homes for a few years now, it was nice to know that the bunker was there and that if my club of indie gamers fell apart I could aways break out the Blood Angels, head to the bunker and find a game.

I've remember the pre-Bunker days of Cypher games, Proseks and Gamers Paradise, but even with that kind of perspective it will still be a sad end-of-an era if/when the Bunker goes.
aka ordinary_bass
eilif

Postby jturner » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 pm

I think GW stores are a terrible idea, separated from the 'hobby'. I bought my first minis and played my first games from Napoleon's in Shorewood, WI. Awesome place. Sold all sorts of 'hobby' stuff, big game tables in the basement and even had lockers to rent so people didn't have to cart around their armies (not that I could do that at 12, but I aspired to). They had cases full of painted models for sale by locals, and you got store credit in for whatever they sold for; genius. They ran events, they found sponsors (even GW back then! I remember staying overnight in front at the chance to win $50 in GW stuff...only 3 people won out of like 100 people waiting, but it was fun!!!) Tournaments, painting contests. You name it.

I spent many, many amazing weekends in that store.

So, am I happy the bunker is closing? I think so. FACT, it WAS GW's business model to run LGS out of business within certain areas...I heard it at the managers meeting in Baltimore in 2001 (or...02?). Not only uncool, but stupid.

The bunker is cool. But there are ways to make something even better, and that won't happen until GW kicks the can. And I think they will. Not as a company as a whole, but as a company that's core business is tabletop gaming. They have their IP, and they will move into electronic gaming where the money is. Smart for business.

If GW can focus on making money in say, video games, and let the tabletop thing happen organically as, for example, a small subsidiary....Then the fan excitement will begin to build again as real imagination begins to mutually engage the fan base once again. We don't need stores to do that, we need community.

Well, maybe. :D
jturner

Postby Lord Baerion » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:01 pm

My first miniatures experience was at a GW store in a mall. It seemed bigger than the one man stores do now, but that may be because I was so much smaller then =). I purchased a box of Space Marines and a couple of the suggested paints as well as getting a demo game of 40k. I soon learned that Fantasy was where it was at and spent the rest of my time buying fantasy armies, Dwarves, High Elves, Demons, Dark Elves, the list goes on until recently deciding to give 40k a try.

I'm another $2k+ a year spender who might not be in the hobby if it weren't for a GW store. I may have found it later on, or found a different game etc. But the store drew me in and I'm sure it does for so many others.

Would an LGS have had the same effect? Probably but as others have stated it might not be a GW game I'm addicted to right now.

As for the post saying that there are so many games out there better than Warhammer or even 40k. That's like, your opinion man. I've played war machine, malifaux, dark age and none of them do it for me. The 4x6 table and the feeling of a battlefield with a ton of miniatures is where it's at for me.

I don't think the 1 man stores are great for the hobby or the community but they're good for bringing people into the game and gaining additional clients. Nothing an LGS couldn't do I suppose.
Lord Baerion

Postby sangheili » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:08 am

Shaggrudd Dethblasta wrote:Kuma, just wait, GW will take care of you having minis for a game that you can't use anymore. Trust me. That is one of the things that I really didn't like about GW. I started with Rogue Trader and I have quite a few minis that with new editions were not usable. I understand what you're saying and I hope things stay the same for you. Don't count on in. Have a plan B in place because things don't look good for GW.

Idk man yesterday at games day there were guys spending hundreds of dollars a few even thousands of dollars. I spent about 300 even though I told myself I was only going to buy some autocannons for my dread. Almost everyone at the forge world line bought the 125 dollar horus heresy book so GW won't go anywhere anytime soon.
sangheili

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm

Well, for all of you who defend GW no matter what, if what I hear from the rumor mill is true, you all are going to have a rude wake up call. What I'm hearing is that GW is looking to sell. Their investors want out, and GW is hoping Hasbro will buy them up and 40k will go the video game route and only go with video games and quitting the models altogether. When you think about it, it makes sense. Their IP is something they could make millions on if they went the electronic route. Not sure if they'll continue making any of the models you guys buy, but maybe you'll be able to buy Marnius Calgar with the Kung-Fu grip or the Battle Sounds Landraider! Oh boy!
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Kuma » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Yes, because the first thing you do with a newly acquired company is to alienate all its customers! BTW gw has "gone the electronic route" with all of its IP's. Apparently models are still making them money.
Kuma

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:41 pm

If Hasbro buys up GW, do you really think they will give a hoot about you? You're not a kid. And I got news for you, if you think for one second that Hasbro is going to continue with a "hobby" and make moderate profits in something they really don't know much if anything about instead of making toys, video games, cartoon shows, kids costumes, movies and God only knows what and make billions of dollars off of the 40k and fantasy IP, then dude, please stop snorting the glue. The really sad and pathetic thing about all this is that GW was sitting on a multi million if maybe even billion dollar gold mine and did relatively nothing with it. We are talking an IP that could've eclipsed Star Wars. Why don't you ponder that for a while and then ask yourself the question of whether they would care about what you think or want.

We are talking big business and if there's one thing I have learned about big business, it's that you the customer doesn't tell big business what to sell or offer, rather big business tells you the consumer what to buy and why you have to have what they have to sell. You do not have a real say in the matter. Oh sure, they'll make you think you do, but ultimately you will buy what they tell you to buy and you will buy it at the prices they tell you to pay. If you don't believe me, take everything you have of GW's IP. How many books did you have to buy, how many editions of 40k or fantasy did you have to buy? How many times did your armies have to change? How many times did you you have to conform to what they said so you could compete in tournaments? And you seriously believe GW cares about what you want? You are nothing to them. You don't tell them anything, and they tell you what to buy and at what price. That is the GW you so love and cherish.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Kuma » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Wow, such vitriol. Good luck with that.
Kuma

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:54 am

If Hasbro does purchase GW, what makes you think that in their eyes you will still be seen as a customer that they would want to target? The company will go the route where the money is. We've already seen that with GW targeting kids instead of the veteran gamer. On top of that, the company is no longer being ran exclusively by gamers but instead by business people. The company is changing and with the purchase it could radically change. Just be prepared for that change because it may be something you'll like. Then again it could not. This situation is evolving and and could go in all sorts of directions. Expect the unexpected.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Redbeard » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:02 am

You know, when Hasbro has acquired game companies in the past, they've given them some free reign to keep doing what they're doing. WotC is owner by Hasbro, and they're given the ability to keep developing their games as works for them.

Having been part of a corporate acquisition (not in the gaming industry), companies don't acquire properties just to tear them down, especially if they're making a profit. Disney acquiring Marvel didn't result in Mickey and Goofy joining the Avengers, afterall. What it did do was allow Disney's giant marketing and distribution channels to be leveraged to make the Marvel properties among the most valuable in Hollywood. Did it change anything, at all, about Marvel's comic lines? No, because why would Disney mess with something that's working.

If Hasbro does acquire GW, they may well use GW properties in new ways. And they may not have any interest in the day-to-day running of a wargaming miniatures business. But, my guess is that it will work out better for us (the players) than current. I think they'll get rid of GW stores (and that's okay), but that they'll be able to cut costs and prices as they do it. We might see Space Marine cartoons, but that's only going to drive more people to the toys, another long-term gain for players.

Again, Hasbro acquired WotC, and since then, both M:tG and D&D have grown, not disappeared. They're still games for gamers. Hasbro taking over GW may actually be the best possible outcome that we players can hope for. It's not like they're going to write worse rules.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby swampthing » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 am

I agree with Red, If sale of GW does happen, It might not necessarily be a bad thing for us gamers. The people from Hasbro ( or whomever) are no dummies. they want to see our hobby succeed as much as the gamers do, and they have the cash to make it happen. there will be changes no doubt, but changes are not always bad.
swampthing

Postby slartibartfast » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:37 am

Kuma wrote:Yes, because the first thing you do with a newly acquired company is to alienate all its customers! BTW gw has "gone the electronic route" with all of its IP's. Apparently models are still making them money.

I guess you don't know of the little company called Avalon Hill. They got bought up buy Hasbro and shut down within short order. They were the largest wargame manufacture of the time. Some games, mainly the family ones, were brought back out. Hasbro's in house games, Axis and Allies, were rebranded under the AH logo. But a fine, thriving game company was shut down because this great big TOY company wanted a name of one of Avalon Hill's games. SO don't be so happy that your MINITURE game may grow under a TOY companies guidance. I would expect, if it happened, for current back catalog of minis to be sold off, line shut down, then reopened as a line of boardgames with minis attached, like Axis and Allies. Kiss your game and multi part kits goodbye. At least Finecast will be gone. :D If you think WOTC is a free entity within Hasbro with the ability to do what they want guess again. WOTC employees just don't talk about it in the open, they know which side of the bread the butter is on. Nobody likes to eat piss flavored Cherios.

If you enjoy playing GW games, great keep playing. Nobody is trying to stop you. If you tried other games and found not the same level of joy as GW games great, keep on trucking. But please try to look at what SHuggra and I are saying. We have been around a long time and have seen many things go down in this NICHE hobby. We may be a bit more pessimistic about things, we have seen this before. Just a friendly reminder.
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Previous

Return to News & Rumors