2nd Bunker in US closed

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

2nd Bunker in US closed

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:52 am

The Seattle bunker closed shop and is being converted into a 2-table one man store. Their Facebook page says this will better serve the customer. I'm not to sure about that.

With 2 bunkers down that leaves two to go in the US. When is its Chicagos turn to get the axe?
Generalissimo_Fred

Re: 2nd Bunker in US closed

Postby seahawk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 am

The lease is up in October, so around then I'd imagine.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Born2Lose » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Its such a shame. It feels like just a little while ago I would sit for hours at the paint bar getting advice from tim. I also wont forget all the overnights I did for different events they would host.
Born2Lose

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:43 am

Writing is on the wall, gentlemen, the writing is on the wall. I got rid of my core game stuff and I'm playing games from other companies that's not over priced.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Kuma » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am

Thats a bit dramatic. GW games are still the most fun for me, not to mention the easiest to get games going for at LGS that I frequent. closing stores that never should have been opened is a good thing.
Kuma

Postby swampthing » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 am

Kuma wrote:closing stores that never should have been opened is a good thing.

Speaking from personal experience, Ive would have never even know that GW existed were it not for the store that used to be in the Fox Vallety mall. I cant tell you how much money that incidental meeting has cost me over the years :roll:
swampthing

Postby Kuma » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Fair enough, but had that been a LGS that had been supported by GW, it would have had the same effect.
Kuma

Postby BigWaaagh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Kuma wrote:Fair enough, but had that been a LGS that had been supported by GW, it would have had the same effect.

I completely disagree with this statement. Stark difference is that if you go into a LGS, GW product is just one of how many dozens, or hundreds, of product lines from as many manufacturers. What gets actively promoted there is whatever is hot and selling.
GW stores promote GW, nothing else. They're basically GW's commercial. When given the chance, they're their best cheerleaders. However, from my perspective, the problem of late is that the UK bean counters seem to be dictating policy and they're apparently committed to an absolutely dumbed down business model that reduces everything to a simplistic, vanilla formula that looks good financially and makes sense on paper...I guess...but does the absolute bare minimum to recruit, promote and sell the hobby and provide customer service.
If GW isn't being simplified and stripped down to be sold, then I don't get it. Maybe Tom Kirby has just had enough and wants to cash in and retire? Can't blame him. But if the actual plan is to simply slog along and keep putting up these one-man kiosks that they want to pass for stores, then I think they are going to get a very rude awakening with regards to recruitment and growth. Actually, with all the shortening of hours, staff reductions and store closings going on now, it's appears to already be happening. Contraction equals lack of growth. Lack of growth equals death. God help them if they ever have to start slashing or skipping their juicy little dividend. If that happens and the investors holding their shares exit...Katie, bar the door. You'll see this hobby fold up like a cheap card table. All of this is IMHO, of course.
I'd love to see the company taken private and given a good shake out and put back on the right path, run by people who understand what the heart of this hobby is all about. Maybe I'll give Tom a call.....
BigWaaagh

Postby Kuma » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 pm

I disagree. Save for the poster earlier, I know of no person who began gw products because of a gw store. Most were due to people actually enjoying the game at my LGS when i was in high school. we had an outrigger or some titled person who recieved support from gw and ran events. Like privateer press does now. Thats whats been effective for them, and was for gw. Gws should have kept it's nose out of retail. Gw could be pumping out support for LGS and have nothing locked in stores that cant sell because noone is dumb enough to pay retail for shit they could get for minimum of 20% nearly every other place they could think of going.
Kuma

Postby allen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:22 am

I agree with Kuma. I got started by word of mouth from a friend of mine and buying my first GW product at Gamer's Paradise, not from a GW store. But now I gave up this hobby for good because I got disillusioned by GW's ways including closing all their stores after they drove almost all the LGS out of business with their policies. But the final blow came when GW told stores that they can't sell bits off the sprues. I'm not much of a conversionist, but if I had an idea I would go to great lengths to get the bits needed. Which is another one of GW's fatal mistakes: eliminating the bits line. They could've sold bits off the sprue too, but instead go after people doing that.

But their biggest mistake was opening way too many stores instead of supporting the LGS.

Unless actual gamers buy the GW company and run it right, I can see them going out of business.
After a three year hiatus...I'm back.
allen

Postby DaGrippster » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:35 am

Kuma wrote:I disagree. Save for the poster earlier, I know of no person who began gw products because of a gw store.

Well, it sounds like you play in a lgs and not a gw store, so of course you don't know people who started in gw stores. They're in the gw stores :lol:

I know for a fact that I would not be in this hobby had the Chicago Bunker not been around. I was ten years old and playing mage knights at the time. For those of you who don't know, the bunker is located right next to lazer quest, the laser tagging place. It's brilliant, with the amount of kids passing by all the time. So one day, I walk into the bunker to see what it's all about and am blown away by the "coolness" factor that place had. For me, it was the terrain that drew me in. They had these awesome lord of the rings tables, including a helms deep with a wall section that detached where that Urakhai blew it up. The staff were awesome, the armies were beautiful, and I was hooked.

I'm not saying that lgs are bad; they're not. But as was mentioned earlier, the gw product is competing against everything else. It doesn't have the same shock and awe factor that I think the gw stores, especially bunkers, should aim for.

Also, if I were a parent I'd much rather have my kid hang out in a gw store than a lgs. the people at lgs always seemed a little odder/cliquish to me. I went in to one of the stores in champaign one time; there was literally a cat shit on the middle of the floor. The store had a cat, which the owner let roam the floor, it shit on the floor, and it had clearly been a few days with no action taken to remove it. I walked out and never went back.

So obviously these are extreme examples and there are pros and cons to both. I don't think anything is as effective at proving what the hobby is about as the bunkers though. So I'll continue to be at the bunker until it closes, which will be a very sad day for all.
DaGrippster

Postby Kuma » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:28 am

I guess Ill have to agree to disagree. Running a huge gamestore like that, and even the tiny little ones is a MUCH bigger investment than having a program like they used to (like this : http://privateerpress.com/community/press-gangers)
Kuma

Postby Born2Lose » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:53 pm

I see both sides of the story here but there was a point and time where both existed simultaneously. Imo I could easily see having pioneer stores like bunkers in all major areas as places for events. While still filling the lgs with the support they need. Lets face it this hobby was at its peak when GW was most involved in the hobby not the sale. They have done nothing but pull further and further out of the support of their game in recent years with fewer events. The thing I find most interesting is that inspite of all they have done to "cut the fat" in buisness terms they profit continues to rise.
Born2Lose

Postby rosco » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:58 pm

I use to frequent several local shops in the burbs. Then gw decided to expand like mad driving out dam near ALL the local shops. So gw is paying the price for expanding way to much too quickly, especially with the kids learning of other games where rule books aren't 80 bucks(or free online), minis of decent quality can be affordable. I'm just hoping the local shops come back cause the bunker is my local store till it goes away.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Ok, I see a fundamental problem to this whole issue / discussion. Now, before I continue, I just want everyone to know that I'm not trying to be condescending and if I come across that way I profusely apologize. Guys, GW is not the hobby. There are hundreds of games out there from hundreds of companies. Some of the games are good to OK, and some of them ARE MUCH BETTER THAN 40k OR FANTASY. You seriously need to shake the spell that GW has you under and check out other games and companies. Trust me I understand. You defend GW because they really do have a cool IP and you feel that you need need to defend them because you are looking to defend your investment because you don't want to look foolish. You defend GW and champion their games and miniatures simply because you don't know any better. That's not saying anything bad about you personally, it just is what it is. I just read a lot of these posts and feel bad because in reality, GW has done actually more damage to the hobby of wargaming than good. If GW goes out of business or at least leaves the USA, it will really be best for the hobby. I know you may not agree with me, but I have been in the hobby for over 30 years. That's before GW was even sold in the USA.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Next

Return to News & Rumors