Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby Lordgoober » Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 am

http://epicaddiction.wordpress.com/2013 ... lso-going/

According to this blog post, the stealth culling of the ranges which was originally thought to just be the wholesale discontinuing of Specialist Games is actually the culling of ALL remaining metal from the GW lines. Despicable that GW didn't announce that they were finally discontinuing metal on xx/xx/xx date.
Lordgoober
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby rosco » Wed May 01, 2013 12:02 pm

are you really shocked gw didn't want to put that date out and possibly make money?
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: westmont

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby Redbeard » Wed May 01, 2013 1:23 pm

That's an interesting comment. If they were making money on it, it stands to reason that they'd not cancel those products. Somewhere along the line, continuing to produce metal models is costing them more than it's making them, probably related to maintaining the molds, casting the pieces, and even inventory storage for products that move really slowly.

Creating a panic rush on these products is probably not in their best interest. I agree, it does kind of suck that this is the way it is, but it does at least seem like a reasonable business decision.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
User avatar
Redbeard
 
Posts: 1228
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:55 am
Location: Homewood, IL

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby fyrblckdragon » Wed May 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I have to agree with what I've seen elsewhere, that they may be consolidating product lines for a sale. It certainly looks that way (esp considering the short term profit inflation that they've been working on). Also would make sense for them to have the crazy level of releases they've had lately (finish up the product line, so you have a standardized product). They've also been defending their IP in such a way to build anecdotal "see, it is a defensible IP" cases to inflate the measure of goodwill in valuation. They've also been neutralizing the imagery, making it less dark, so it would appeal to a broader audience with appropriate marketing.

It will be interesting to see if all the "moves" they have been making over the last couple years did serve a purpose - to work towards a merger/acquisition with a non-niche toy company.
User avatar
fyrblckdragon
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:08 pm
Location: Saint Charles

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby seahawk » Thu May 02, 2013 11:50 am

Hasbro.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk
 
Posts: 792
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:36 am
Location: Sycamore, IL

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby Cptn_Snuggles » Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 am

I can't believe it but I'm really starting to sour on some of GW's decisions lately. They're a company and their #1 priority is to their shareholders...

I just can't help but feeling that some of these moves lately haven't been a little short sighted which I would agree with you guys has the feeling of prepping the company to look good for an acquisition.

Interesting stuff.

Really sucks on everything on the specialist games getting cut. I had a bunch of things I would have loved to complete had I known this was happening.

Cheers,
BC
User avatar
Cptn_Snuggles
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:51 am
Location: Bartlett, IL

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Tue May 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Well, GW will no longer get my money except maybe their paints until they discontinue those too. I don't know about you guys, but I see the writing on the wall. GW is going under. That's what I feel in my gut.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:42 pm
Location: Downers Grove, IL

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby cjputrich » Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Shaggrudd Dethblasta wrote:Well, GW will no longer get my money except maybe their paints until they discontinue those too. I don't know about you guys, but I see the writing on the wall. GW is going under. That's what I feel in my gut.


Cptn_Snuggles wrote:I just can't help but feeling that some of these moves lately haven't been a little short sighted which I would agree with you guys has the feeling of prepping the company to look good for an acquisition.


I've been thinking about stuff like this for a couple months. I am newer to the hobby (fantasy for about a year, 40k for about 7 months), and I can't help but be concerned as my collection - and obsession - with warhammer continues to grow.

What I mean is, is it all a waste? What happens to Warhammer if GW does shut down other than the obvious no new models/codex and limited ability to find product you don't currently have? Does the hobby continue on?

I would have to imagine that the hobby would go on because of communities like this, IWFB, independent stores, and other gaming clubs. I can't imagine people would just stop playing.

Also, I have experienced a company selling off portions of the company and running off other segments of the business first hand. While I don't like or agree with a lot of what GW has done lately, it does not feel like they're prepping for a sale/closure based on past experiences. But, on the off chance they do - I am extremely curious about the questions I raised above.
40k Armies
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Angels

Other Games
Fantasy - Skaven
Warmachine - Khador
X-Wing
Infinity - Ariadna
cjputrich
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 pm
Location: Yorkville

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby allen » Sat May 18, 2013 6:27 pm

They should just cast the metal models to order. For example, if someone wanted a squad of 20 metal Battle Sisters with a meltagun, heavy flamer, and a leader with a power sword and plasma pistol they should just cast those and sell those to the customer.

But GW sees us as a bunch of dummies who don't know what we're talking about.
After a three year hiatus...I'm back.
allen
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:47 pm

Re: Not Just Specialist Games dying. All Metal

Postby shadowopal » Thu May 23, 2013 12:57 pm

cjputrich wrote:
Shaggrudd Dethblasta wrote:Well, GW will no longer get my money except maybe their paints until they discontinue those too. I don't know about you guys, but I see the writing on the wall. GW is going under. That's what I feel in my gut.


Cptn_Snuggles wrote:I just can't help but feeling that some of these moves lately haven't been a little short sighted which I would agree with you guys has the feeling of prepping the company to look good for an acquisition.


I've been thinking about stuff like this for a couple months. I am newer to the hobby (fantasy for about a year, 40k for about 7 months), and I can't help but be concerned as my collection - and obsession - with warhammer continues to grow.

What I mean is, is it all a waste? What happens to Warhammer if GW does shut down other than the obvious no new models/codex and limited ability to find product you don't currently have? Does the hobby continue on?

I would have to imagine that the hobby would go on because of communities like this, IWFB, independent stores, and other gaming clubs. I can't imagine people would just stop playing.

Also, I have experienced a company selling off portions of the company and running off other segments of the business first hand. While I don't like or agree with a lot of what GW has done lately, it does not feel like they're prepping for a sale/closure based on past experiences. But, on the off chance they do - I am extremely curious about the questions I raised above.


Unfortunately, it is difficult to keep a system alive if the company is no longer there to support it. Will it die off immediately? Probably not. but eventually the gameplay gets stale. I still have my models even though I haven't picked up the latest editions. I play games ever once in a great while with the old editions. but, it is typically with the few nutter collector friends like me that I have. Try getting someone new to play Rogue Trader......good luck with that. "What do you mean I can't play the necrons or the Tau or the Tyranids or the myriad Space Marine Chapters? What do you mean they don't exist in Rogue Trader? that's just dumb. They have the models now and I like them. I'll play the current rules thank you."

With the plethora of miniature games out there now, content has to be released regularly to keep the fans interested and not let them fall victim to Gamer ADD. If the company closes down (not that I am saying it will) it will be difficult for communities to keep their members interested in GW when all the new players are buying one of the other companies' stuff. "Why should I start buying minis for a game that takes hundreds of dollars to be competitive and they aren't even going to be making more?"

I've seen it happen with games that I enjoyed. There are a few small groups around that do as best they can with keeping the game alive in the tourney scene. But, eventually the old timers either get bored of the game, find that other facets of life are more important, tire of spending time arranging tourneys for the same 5 people they play all the time, or simply just shuffle off their mortal coils. New content means life for the games. As soon as it stops, the game begins to pass into obscurity.

Hopefully, GW will either make better decisions (not likely under the corporate identity) or they will sell to a company with better eyes for the hobby.
User avatar
shadowopal
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:48 pm


Return to News & Rumors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron