GW store size reduction again

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

GW store size reduction again

Postby seahawk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Heard it here first. I've been told by a blackshirt that all GW stores are being reduced to 1 man, 1 demo table, 1 gaming table. The Geneva store will also be closing up shop, since the lease is up in October.

Kinda defeats the purpose of getting people in to play and hobby when there's no place to play or hobby.

Discuss.
Last edited by seahawk on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Re: GW store size reduction again

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Why not just make all their stores the tall chair kiosks that are in the middle of mall hallways. They can sell models next to the cellphone flip cover guy.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Redbeard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:40 pm

seahawk wrote:Heard it here first. I've been told by Homer (GW Geneva) that all GW stores are being reduced to 1 man, 1 demo table, 1 gaming table. The Geneva store will also be closing up shop, since the lease is up in April.

Kinda defeats the purpose of getting people in to play and hobby when there's no place to play or hobby.

Discuss.

If this is true, I have no idea how GW believes they'll attract new customers, and the prices of newer kits and lackluster rules are driving away older customers. They don't advertise. They don't attend gaming conventions as a company - when was the last time GW was at Gen Con or Origins? Do one-man demo tables draw the crowd, or is it the people actually playing games that the potential customers see and want to check out?

Still, this wouldn't be the first time I heard someone say they heard something from a guy at a store and it proves false.

On the other hand, once you have found a gaming group, it's more fun to play at places that aren't GW stores. No ankle-biters running around, and you can have a beer during the game. I can't imagine actually assembling or painting models in one of their stores either. No dremel, no airbrush, poor light, no netflix to watch.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby seahawk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 am

GW was actually at GENCON last year; I had a nice talk with John Schaffer there. They've also been at the iHobby Expo for the past few years, so that's something.

The UK has already been running stores with two total tables, so it was only a matter of time that it'd come over here. Because, you know, what works in the UK clearly always works around the world.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Return to News & Rumors