6th Ed. Allies

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

6th Ed. Allies

Postby ciscogarza » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:48 pm

ciscogarza

Re: 6th Ed. Allies

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm still trying to decide if the allies thing is a legitimate attempt to bring some balance to army building or if it's the biggest money-grab in GW history.

I can remember a day when some optional rules for allies existed (maybe in a WD, I can't remember) and pretty much every tournament overview started with: "No Allies." My main fear is that legal allies will unlock a small number of super-unbreakable army builds that we'll see at every damn tournament from now until 7th edition.
Brian

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Brian wrote:I'm still trying to decide if the allies thing is a legitimate attempt to bring some balance to army building or if it's the biggest money-grab in GW history.

I can remember a day when some optional rules for allies existed (maybe in a WD, I can't remember) and pretty much every tournament overview started with: "No Allies." My main fear is that legal allies will unlock a small number of super-unbreakable army builds that we'll see at every damn tournament from now until 7th edition.

I'm not sure how it work out in the end, but I feel confident it won't be as bad as you think on the tabletop. I mean you might have to grow your army with some new units, but I think most every bad combo has an equally bad counter. The possibilities are endless.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:
Brian wrote:I'm still trying to decide if the allies thing is a legitimate attempt to bring some balance to army building or if it's the biggest money-grab in GW history.

I'm not sure how it work out in the end, but I feel confident it won't be as bad as you think on the tabletop. I mean you might have to grow your army with some new units, but I think most every bad combo has an equally bad counter. The possibilities are endless.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking. I know I'll play right into GW's strategy in the end but it will probably lead to me getting better as a painter as I find more ways to step out of my comfort zone. I haven't painted an Eldar model since I was 17 years old, never painted any Tau, Necrons, or Dark Eldar either. Maybe that will change if I can field 1 or 2 units without going "all in" on a whole army.
Brian

Postby seahawk » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:24 pm

it's the biggest money-grab in GW history.
This. You know it's going to be a bad edition when Dark Eldar and Eldar are listed as "Brothers in Arms"...
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby allen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 am

Finally!

We can take grey knights in a guard army again!

Or mix a soul grinder, real lesser or greater daemons in a chaos space marine army!

Or even have an assassin in a space marine army again!

Therefore, once chaos space marines are redone they should be the baddest boys on the block again!

This makes me want to get back into 40k after more than a year of absence. :D
After a three year hiatus...I'm back.
allen

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:29 am

I used to have a squad of Grey Knights in my Ard Boyz list when we first played those. Guard could always ally with GK in the old Daemonhunter codex. It wasn't broken then. I think the ally rules, where most allies can not intermix and even some allies give each other animosity if they get within 6" will be a big reign in on any potential abuses.
Generalissimo_Fred

Return to News & Rumors