AWC Tournament in July

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

AWC Tournament in July

Postby RAMSEY » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:42 am

Now I don't play in too many tournaments these days but I heard something that bothered me about the one coming up in July.

It is rumored that we will be forced to use the 6th edition rules since they will be out by then. So this means that if you even want to take part in the event you will have to purchase a new rule book. Granted that anyone playing 40k would want to pick up a copy of the rules when they can (I'm waiting for the starter set) but this just seems like a way for GW to exstort us into buying the big rule book. At 75 bucks in a time when people are losing their jobs and having trouble making ends meet. This goes further in the rumor mill that you will not be able to play 40k with any other edition rules in the store. A few guys have been doing pick up games using 2nd edition. That's really going to suck for them.

I know its still a choice fo people to buy now or later (or never) but is it right for GW to force us to buy it to play in an AWC event?
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Re: AWC Tournament in July

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:16 am

Do you think they'll check every table to make sure every player has their copy of the rulebook there? Seriously, if you still want to play 5th, just keep the small book in your backpack; you know most of the rules already and won't need to look that much up.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby seahawk » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:41 am

*shrug* that's how it's always been.
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:43 am

GW doesn't force you to buy the book to play in an AWC event, only to play in their store. Move the AWC event to another venue and you can play whatever you want.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Shawn-C-Carroll » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 am

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:GW doesn't force you to buy the book to play in an AWC event, only to play in their store. Move the AWC event to another venue and you can play whatever you want.

This right here. AWC events are held in their store, they get to make the rules. If we played in a store that required a $10 product purchase, then we'd have to do that.

The Bunker's rule that 6th Ed only makes sense. They are there to sell product, and if they allow 5th Ed then there is less incentive to purchase 6th. I wouldn't be surprised if they have quotas to make and this would just help them make it.
Shawn-C-Carroll

Postby CmdrVimes » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 pm

I don't know why anyone would think they would require the use of 6th edition. They have never done this before. Every timne there is a new edition there are people who continue the old one for several months. A year or so ago I saw some people playing with 2nd ed. rules. My sone and I have played a hybrid using the 2nd. ed victory points with them knowing it with out a problem. Using a new rule set in a tourney with such short notice would just be silly.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby rosco » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:48 am

From what I heard that's a corporate rule. The staff at the bunker haven't said anything to me bout not playing 2nd edition the last couple of weekends. In fact a few of them joined in to learn it. As for the AWC events it's on the organizer's schedule that July is the last one using 5th edition. I get the feeling as long as figs are being sold the guys at the bunker are happy no matter the edition being played.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby swampthing » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 am

heres my prediction, ........PAIN........
(reference: Mr. T from RockyII )

with 15 days to read and pre-play with the new rules, everyone at the tourny will have their own interpretation on said rules. Who will we turn to in the case of disputes? nobody, thats who, and that includes veterans of previous editions.
no one can rightfully claim definitive knowledge. therefore i offer a solution.

Push ups. when a question arises, have the two contestant do a push-up off. the winner is right.

Glad i could help. I wont be there :D
swampthing

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Wait, I've got a better idea. If a question comes up, ask the store employees. They're bound to know the answers!
:roll:
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Calgar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 pm

So you have always had to use the most current ruleset in a gw store, it has always been that way. I know that gamers have tried to use previous editions in the past for several months after the fact, but I also know that they are asked not to after that. Usually, they get to finish there game and from then on it is current rules set. As to the second edition games being played, the staff have no problems with retro games happening from time to time, but seriously, remove your personal hobby and remember what the brick and mortar shops are for, sales! It is ridiculous to allow a large scale tournament to run on the previous edition when you are trying to sell the new edition, just two weeks after the release. that's just bad business! Besides we are really only talking about one month here gang, your gonna be playing sixth the next month, why not just go have fun, learn from one of the best gaming fields out there what is right and wrong, see how well your current list operates, enjoy the fact that is a low point games to keep things moving, and have a step up on the next month?
Calgar

Postby swampthing » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Calgar wrote:So you have always had to use the most current ruleset in a gw store, it has always been that way. I know that gamers have tried to use previous editions in the past for several months after the fact, but I also know that they are asked not to after that. Usually, they get to finish there game and from then on it is current rules set. As to the second edition games being played, the staff have no problems with retro games happening from time to time, but seriously, remove your personal hobby and remember what the brick and mortar shops are for, sales! It is ridiculous to allow a large scale tournament to run on the previous edition when you are trying to sell the new edition, just two weeks after the release. that's just bad business! Besides we are really only talking about one month here gang, your gonna be playing sixth the next month, why not just go have fun, learn from one of the best gaming fields out there what is right and wrong, see how well your current list operates, enjoy the fact that is a low point games to keep things moving, and have a step up on the next month?

So then.....no push-ups?????
swampthing

Postby DaGrippster » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Push ups. when a question arises, have the two contestant do a push-up off. the winner is right.

I like this idea :lol:

However, gamer funk tends to be bad enough without physical activity...
DaGrippster

Postby Calgar » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Lol, I do like the push up idea, but then again gamer funk is bad. Maybe we all get squirted down with fabreez first, then push ups
Calgar

Postby RAMSEY » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Redbeard wrote:Wait, I've got a better idea. If a question comes up, ask the store employees. They're bound to know the answers!
:roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby JonnyP » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:31 pm

You can play any edition you want.... in your basement.

Think about it from their point of view. Potential customer walks in and walks around and sees all these old rulebooks.... maybe they even watch a few games for awhile. Then they realize what they saw isn't even the most current edition.

You gotta play 6th ed there. It's the current rules. Start reading.
JonnyP

Next

Return to News & Rumors