they went digital?!?

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

they went digital?!?

Postby rosco » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 pm

so gw is finally offering pdf versions of the books. the samples looked nice, the price for for just the pdf was freaking huge. the marine one they want over $40. i've dealt with catalyst for the battletech books and they do a real nice job and the price is reasonable. catalst even offers deals on hardcopies with their pdf. so this brings me to wonder if they actually did research on what other companies do?
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Re: they went digital?!?

Postby RichN » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Based on this review, its much more than just a PDF.
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/yakfa ... es%20Codex

GW is selling an Ipad app with all sorts of bells and whistles. Not that I play GW games anymore (or own an Ipad), but I wish I had toys like this for my games.
Terrain, Modeling and More... Chicago Terrain Factory
RichN

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:42 pm

You give them too much credit.

It's also Ios only, so Android/Nook/Kindle users can't benefit. It's also more than the physical codex costs, which violates one of the standard approaches to digital content. I predict these will fall flat on their face, in spite of how nice they are, and that GW will take this to mean that people don't want digital content, rather than that they did it wrong.

It wouldn't be that hard to just release the PDFs that they print from...
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby swampthing » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:48 pm

I downloaded the preview and it looked pretty cool. best part was the index at the back of the book that allows quick and easy access to special rules and the like.

but its too damn expensive. and theyre getting their ass handed to them in the reviews because of it.

that beign said, If they put the 6th edition rules on it. Ill buy it.
swampthing

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 pm

They need to get white dwarf up for sale digitally. I'd buy issue 390 right now if they had it.
Brian

Postby turbo tj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:23 pm

So has anyone had any luck with viewing the books on Android OS yet? I'm just curious as to if anyone is trying to work this out.
I honestly don't mean if anyone's selling it for a lower price or giving it away or anything like that. I have no problem paying for it but I don't have an iPad and I don't plan on ever getting one. But I have the software on my Android to view EPUB software so I just want to know if anyone has tried to view the books on android Devices. I can download from Apple but I don't know how to transfer it to my android device.
Has anyone worked on this? If you don't want to post publicly, just send me a PM.
"FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!"
"FOR THE KAHN AND THE EMPEROR!"
Chapter Master: Destroyers Chapter
turbo tj

Postby Lordgoober » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:56 pm

It's apparently getting even more annoying. They just released the Empire one with the Empire FAQ included but the Empire FAQ is not on the GW website.
Lordgoober

Postby slartibartfast » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Sounds about right for GW.

" This is how The Hobby is done. Buy our models, nevermind the cost, its is worth it because we say so. Buy our rules, they are not as crappy as everyone says. "They" just don't understand how The Hobby is. Our digital content is the best because "we" know that Apple is the best and "we" give the best updated content there is. So use our stuff or else you are doing The Hobby is done."
You start out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before emptying the bag of luck.
Anonymous

In heaven everyone will have a Batmoble. - Kevin Smith
slartibartfast

Postby turbo tj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 pm

I just checked the website on iTunes and the 40K rule book is no longer available. I wonder Why?
"FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!"
"FOR THE KAHN AND THE EMPEROR!"
Chapter Master: Destroyers Chapter
turbo tj

Return to News & Rumors