New Paints?

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

New Paints?

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:47 pm

These just turned up on Warseer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Games-Worksho ... 0948310834

I'm very interested now.
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Postby Lordgoober » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:14 am

I would say that if that auction is real, someone at GW HQ in Nottingham is getting fired.
Lordgoober

Postby Spectrar Ghost » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:11 am

That goes without saying...
SG

Epic: Armageddon
Are you a soldier, or are you a general?

Ghost's Tiny Rat Farm, a blog of Warmaster Skaven
Ghost's Necro Terrain, Urban Madness in 28mm
Nat's Blog-o-Stuff, where everything else goes
Spectrar Ghost

Re: New Paints?

Postby BrentS » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:57 pm

New paints were announced on the GW website. You can have the whole range for $536 :shock:
BrentS

Postby rosco » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:18 am

there's also a new paint guide too. not too sure i'm on board with the new set of paint.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby RAMSEY » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:35 am

Here's a link to the page to see them all in the set.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od1560002a
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby allen » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 pm

I'll stick to vallejo and reaper master series paints. Over 500 colors between the two lines and much better quality paints.

For the price GW is asking for on the paint set $536 is anywhere from a month's rent to a 1/3 of a mortage payment they're asking us to spend on a paint set.

And their paint line is too confusing with different names of paints like shade, basecoat, drybrush, etc. :roll:

Why didn't they keep the original names on the paints they had and just use new names on the new colors and group the colors ranging from darkest to lightest?

And that's the best GW can do to compete with vallejo and reaper master series paints? I'm sure GW could've done better like put their paints in eyedroppers for starters.
After a three year hiatus...I'm back.
allen

Postby Redbeard » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:10 am

The price of the paintset is equal to the number of paints times the cost of one paint - hardly unexpected. The case, it appears, is free. Yes, it's a big cost all at once, but you don't need to buy them all at once. If you do, though, you get the free case.

As for

allen wrote:Why didn't they keep the original names on the paints they had and just use new names on the new colors and group the colors ranging from darkest to lightest?

I agree. This will be confusing for a while

I'm sure GW could've done better like put their paints in eyedroppers for starters.

I'm happy that they didn't do that. I hate eyedroppers.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby griffen127 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:48 pm

Its seems over priced for the list. I mean the cost of paints are retail and the case is free. Hmm The change in names seems really strange. Also if you look at the GW table for this name is that old name several of the colors are off by a fair amount, and there are some that have 2 colors that are the "same" as the old. Also This makes all the master class a waste as the paints colors are not the same. i hear that the paints don't close by themselfs anymore so thats a plus. But hey I think I will change over to PP, or Reaper Master.
Proud founder of LotR FUBAD club. I need a sarcasm sign.
griffen127

Postby Redbeard » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:34 pm

I dunno, I have been impressed by the last two GW paint improvements: foundation paints and the new washes. I'd like to still have access to the inks (well, I can if I go through Coat d'Arms, but not so conveniently as stopping in the GW shop to pick it up). But quality-wise, I've no issues with foundations or washes, and each became a staple of my painting.

With that in mind, and stopping in for demo, I pre-ordered set, figuring that I'd end up buying them all eventually anyway. I like the expanded range, although now I won't be able to fit them all on my paintier. If they turn out to be less than expected (which I doubt), it'll be my last purchase of GW paints and I'll bite the bullet and order them all on-line. But, like I said, I was impressed with their last two paint improvements, and don't expect that this change will be bad. Just... annoying to have to learn all new names.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby BrentS » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm bummed because I just got the Mega Paint set for a Christmas present so I really don't need new paints or can't really justify getting them. I've got some money left on a GW got card so I might buy some of the new colors to try them out.
BrentS

Postby CmdrVimes » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:10 am

the entire system looks pretty nice, especially for those of us who don't like or are not good at mixing paints. GW states that the ehtire formula and pigments are different but there is a conversion chart with colors that are closest. About the best part is that there are many more base coat colors - that is the new equivelent of the foundationd.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby rosco » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 pm

the bunker has a few demo stations set up for the next couple of weeks. the paints work pretty well from what people have been saying. i'll just be happy with the name chart of old name to new.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby swampthing » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Just bring back Chestnut ink dammit. I miss chessnut ink. i used it on everything, even my hotdogs.
swampthing

Return to News & Rumors