So...how about them leaked 40k 6th Ed rules?

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

So...how about them leaked 40k 6th Ed rules?

Postby Ed » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Personally I think they'll breath some new life into the hobby. So many significant changes, I think it's the biggest meta move since 2nd -> 3rd. Overall the players have many more interesting decisions to make, and that's the hallmark of good game design. Balance is another issue altogether I suppose...
Ed

Postby rosco » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:53 pm

sadly i didn't get a chance to read these leaked rules. honestly 40k really does need somewhat of a change, like bring back 2nd ed's percentages, and modifiers. i think one of the bigger screw ups was them literally throwing out the 2nd ed rules instead of tweaking them.
good bad i'm the guy with the gun
rosco

Postby YeezyMozart » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Yea, I got to say I like it.... But it is such a change?

Its like 2nd edition impregnated 4th and 5th. Then 4th and 5th made a baby together, and then that baby read the Apoc book= 6th edition.

But this is defiantly gonna shake things up.
YeezyMozart

Postby allen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:08 pm

here's the link if anyone likes to read them:

***NO LINKS TO PIRATED/LEAKED MATERIALS PLEASE***
After a three year hiatus...I'm back.
allen

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:09 pm

I find myself wondering not so much whether the document is a hoax (I don't think it is) but how people will react if we get closer to release time and find out that what we've seen in the document isn't what we're actually getting.

I've seen a few people state outright that the rules presented in the leaked document are too complicated, not what they signed on for, and will definitely be the catalyst for them quitting 40k. Then again, we hear people say that EVERY TIME GW releases a new edition.

I see far more people saying that this is exactly what the game needs. I agree with those people.

What concerns me is what the backlash will be if it turns out that "6th edition" is really a baby version of these leaked rules. I'm pretty neutral with regard to GW...I give them a pass for just about everything but I'm not sure I could give them a pass if it comes to light that they wrote this set of rules, chickened out, and tossed most of it in the garbage.

Regardless, my gut tells me that GW will release something close to what we've seen in the leak. Why? Because, simply, it inserts a broader set of special rules into the game that lets them create broader army lists. Broader army lists will sell more models.

The wording early in the document seems to suggest that there will also be a super-stripped down rulebook included in the starter set. 40k Core and 40k Prime, so to speak. I actually really like that idea too.
Brian

Postby seahawk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:23 am

My very inside sources say this is just baloney from China, so I haven't even deigned to read it. I'll wait til March, when 6th drops anyway ;)
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealously, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words, it is war, minus the shooting." - George Orwell
seahawk

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:25 am

Because people in China spend hours and hours fabricating a document for no benefit other than to screw with the relative handful of westeners who play with toy soldiers.

The writing style is very similar to other GW books. And, although they have stated it is a hoax, this is also the company that swore they weren't releasing Space Hulk up to the day that they announced they were.

I like the ruleset presented. It's a little rough at the edges, like a draft, but overall, it looks more fun than 5th.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby YeezyMozart » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 am

Brian wrote:I've seen a few people state outright that the rules presented in the leaked document are too complicated, not what they signed on for, and will definitely be the catalyst for them quitting 40k. Then again, we hear people say that EVERY TIME GW releases a new edition.

I see far more people saying that this is exactly what the game needs. I agree with those people.

What concerns me is what the backlash will be if it turns out that "6th edition" is really a baby version of these leaked rules. .

I think this is the best change to the rules ever and to be quite honest I have felt that the rules for 5th edition have become outdated and boring. The game has seemed to get more and more simple since 3rd edition but this edition is defiantly in the right direction.

I feel like the tactical skill of the player will be drastically more important then the tactical skill of the army in this 6th edition leak rules set. And that is exactly what I have been waiting for.

I will be truly disappointed if these rules are not the real rule set that will be released by GW.
YeezyMozart

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am

I'm not so sure .... about anything.

I'm not sure these are real.
I'm not sure they will be better than a tweak of 5th edition.
I'm not sure that these are worse than a tweak of 5th edition.
I'm not sure this won't make tanks even more powerful and troops more useless.
I'm not sure these rules will make more units useless in each book.
I'm not sure 6th edition won't become the "everybody reserves every game" edition.

I'm not sure about any of it. I will say it seems that when rule leaks are legit, they come out slowly and not all at once.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:46 am

B-Rad wrote:I feel like the tactical skill of the player will be drastically more important then the tactical skill of the army in this 6th edition leak rules set. And that is exactly what I have been waiting for.

I've heard this before, but not from someone as versed in the National Tourney scene. Ben Mohiles simple vanilla marine list would have a problem with that statement. I've witnessed the power of that list firsthand where no unit is earth shattering, none are lynchpins and most of them are considered internet taboo. Yet it dominates both in the states and overseas (I think he's had maybe one lose in the two years of ETC competition).

The tactical skill of the player behind the list is unquestioned. I will concede that there are a number of 'easy button' army lists out there that can do very well, but even those fall short to Ben and his basic vanilla marine list.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 pm

Generalissimo_Fred wrote:I've heard this before, but not from someone as versed in the National Tourney scene. Ben Mohiles simple vanilla marine list would have a problem with that statement. I've witnessed the power of that list firsthand where no unit is earth shattering, none are lynchpins and most of them are considered internet taboo.

I think this is more a failing of the internet than anything else. Sure, Ben's a good player. But so are a lot of people, and this game isn't that complex on the tabletop. Ben's winning with a solid list. It has synergies. The internet is wrong when it puts down the units he is using, but it's wrong in a lot of cases, repeatedly. Winning with a list that the internet deems poor isn't a sign of a super general, it's just a reminder that the internet has no oversight and is wrong as often as not.

I believe that this ruleset is an early draft from GW, distributed to playtesters who should have signed NDAs and one of them has probably gotten pissed off and broken that NDA. I believe this because of things like references to new Necron units in a text supposedly produced in May (could be faked, but I doubt it), and because the effort to create such a document, along with all the associated codex revamps, is excessive for a project with no tangible reward other than fooling a few geeks.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Redbeard wrote:I think this is more a failing of the internet than anything else. Sure, Ben's a good player. But so are a lot of people, and this game isn't that complex on the tabletop. Ben's winning with a solid list. It has synergies. The internet is wrong when it puts down the units he is using, but it's wrong in a lot of cases, repeatedly. Winning with a list that the internet deems poor isn't a sign of a super general, it's just a reminder that the internet has no oversight and is wrong as often as not.

This is a good point.
Generalissimo_Fred

Postby Ed » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:53 pm

I can't buy that a 130 page formatted document is a fake. That's not even to mention the complementary codex change document alongside it. I'm pretty sure that once we're in the formatting stage of a ruleset document, the rules themselves are pretty well decided. We might see certain things change, but there's a definite theme of standardizing all the rules and giving them all depth. There are definitely a lot of typos to fix, though.

The new bidding system + strategems adds a level of meta to competitive play that is stunning. I'm kinda glad I'm skipping Adepticon this year, because now that I've seen the new system, the current system is totally unappealing.
Ed

Postby swampthing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Damn, just when i thought i understood this game....they change the rules...

well folks , get ready to field a whole new set of dumb questions from your truely.
swampthing

Postby Lord Krungharr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I too will have many many questions with such a ruleset, as will many other people. That will keep the FAQ writers very busy.
The Evasion thing might be kinda neat; running fast guys would naturally be harder to shoot at than slow pokes or standing still Troops. Something like that makes for more varied and interesting scenarios and options and results to think about.

I can't tell if flyers will be better or not either under such rules vs. the Forgeworld/Apocalypse rules.

Will the Adepticon be using 5th edition? Seems like if they get 6th out in March that wouldn't be enough time for players to learn the new ones.
Lord Krungharr

Next

Return to News & Rumors