Black Sun Games is closing!

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

Black Sun Games is closing!

Postby eilif » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:27 pm

Not much info offered about why, but it appears that Black Sun Games is closing!

http://blacksungameschicago.com/forum/g ... sun-games/

Really a sad development for gamers in Chicago. The last time I was in a 40k groove, BSun was my go-to place for gaming or buying. Haven't played 40k in a while, but it's a real shame they're going away and a real blow to the gaming community.

When BSun is gone Chicagoland Games Dice Dojo is going to be the only store catering to miniatures gaming. It's a nice store, with good play space, but they haven't got half the selection of miniatures that BSun does.
aka ordinary_bass
eilif

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 am

Check out Games Plus in Mount Prospect
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby eilif » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:05 am

Been there quite a few times. By far the best mini-store in the state, but a considerable drive from Chicago.
aka ordinary_bass
eilif

Postby shadowopal » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:42 pm

It is a shame. Tom really fought with himself for a while before he finally decided. There are a number of factors. involved in the decision of course. But, the big one is that his business partner, Brandon, died unexpectedly a few months back. Tom has a full time job and can't spend a lot of time at the store and they never could afford employees. They had some fantastic guys that would volunteer to run the shop. But, a few of them have gotten jobs and Tom feels bad dumping all the store hours on two guys.

The other really big influence is that the lease was up for negotiations and retail space in Chicago is just stupid expensive. As a Realtor, I tried to help Tom find a building he could buy with some apartments above to help offset the costs of the store. But, with Brandon's death it all just piled up and Tom made the wise choice of his sanity over the store. It was a tough decision that took months. But, I think he made the right one. Hopefully he'll be able to sell of the stock for a decent amount to pay off some of the debt the store has.

Chicagoland is the only in-city store after September 15th. I'm amazed they are able to keep the place running. They are in a very expensive area to rent. So, I'm assuming they somehow own the store space if not the building. Hopefully they will be able to continue. It is sad that one of the cities with the greatest number of people can't support more game stores. But, rent is what kills them every time.

Support your local game stores while you can! Online may be cheaper. But, you can't game there and meet new opponents.
shadowopal

Postby Karrik » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:29 pm

I worried about posting for the longest time but now feel that I should throw my (rather self-serving) tuppence worth into mix.
Dice Dojo is not the only other in-city option. Galactic Force, at 1121 W Belmont, has 120 square feet of permanent Wargaming Tables (excluding our painting bar and seating for 36 card game/board game/role-players).
Currently we only have active communities for Malifaux, Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Warhammer 40k and a Black Crusade/Dark Heresy Campaign. We have been referring our Flames of War gamers to Black Sun, Warmachine out to Chicagoland and Historics out to Games Plus but they call in frequently enough - usually for paint clinics.
We have found that by supporting other stores and communities other than our own we have grown the hobby and have little trouble recruiting - most recently, our Fantasy Battle Escalation League went from two gamers to a dozen in six weeks.
Living in Chicago? Want a game? I play at Galactic Force every Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.
Karrik

Postby shadowopal » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:34 am

Sounds great. Nice work on the escalation league. I heard about the store just before I left for vacation a few weeks ago. Just got back. so, I hope to stop by sometime and check it out. Any idea who's heading up the Malifaux side of things?
shadowopal

Return to News & Rumors