New Finecast minis

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

Postby CmdrVimes » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:28 am

If you are worried about the prices, when you look across the modeling world in general and not just game pieces, the cost of good quality resin mosels is about the same and similar to equivelent metal models. The sucks, but like anything, costs go up. As far as breaking easily, thats part of the game in miniatures unless you want to specialize in green army men or those rubbery things they put on click bases.
Len C.
CmdrVimes

Postby swampthing » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 am

Shaggrudd Dethblasta wrote:Look gentlemen, this switch to resin is the deathnell of GW. You will not see any savings from the switch to resin. Those savings were never intended for your benefit. The fact miscasts are not reusable means that GW will not hardly see any savings at all. One could argue that miscasts could be sold for bits, but GW will sell those for regular price instead of discounting the price. Face it gentlemen, GW DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE OR WANT. THEY WILL CONTINUE TO DO WHAT THEY THINK IS RIGHT DOING THINGS THE ENGLISH WAY OF DOING BUSINESS. Do what I did, sell your 40k and fantasy and discover all the other awesome games that are out there that are more fun to play, cheaper, and will not insult your intelligence because they dumbed the rules down so a first grader can play. Seriously guys, get rid of your 28's and find freedom again.

BinThereDonthat. two years ago, i got fed up with GW. sold my armies, tried Warmachine Hordes and found out that theres is truly a limited amount of activity surrounding game systems when compared to GW.
Now Im rebuilding, and im sorry as hell for my knee jerk reaction of a few years ago.
swampthing

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:10 pm

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions about the topic. I just see a company that IMHO is dishonest, deceitful, and really out to get as much $ out of its "customers" as it can. It stopped being a company that feels like it's ran by fellow hobbyists and more like a company that is ran by executives from an oil company. Maybe that's because GW is such a large company in our hobby that can get away with the attitude of "you're going to take what we give you and like it whether you want to or not". That's the feeling I get. That feeling is what started my distaste for 40k and fantasy.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby EldarCorsair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Shaggrudd Dethblasta wrote:I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions about the topic. I just see a company that IMHO is dishonest, deceitful, and really out to get as much $ out of its "customers" as it can. It stopped being a company that feels like it's ran by fellow hobbyists and more like a company that is ran by executives from an oil company. Maybe that's because GW is such a large company in our hobby that can get away with the attitude of "you're going to take what we give you and like it whether you want to or not". That's the feeling I get. That feeling is what started my distaste for 40k and fantasy.

QFT. I'm pretty much done on GW for right now...good luck to GW and their continued consumers but Battlefront, Dream Pod 9, and Reaper will be getting my business now.
EldarCorsair

Postby khornelord0129 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:13 am

Why is everyone complaining about the price hikes when they aren't even in the hobby anymore. You people sound like straight from a holiday inn express commercial. I mean how can u complain about something if you aren't even involved in it anymore. No business what so ever. Go complain on dakka or warseer please cuz I don't want to hear it anymore.
khornelord0129

Postby Norbu the Destroyer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:29 pm

I think people are enitled to their opinions, and if they choose not to play GW based games that is fine. In my honest opinion though...GW is the glue that keeps gaming going around the country.

How many hobby stores would go under if they took GW off the walls. How many other lines in a store dont make much money, but because GW sells to LOTS of people, stores are able to stock the "non mainstream" games.

How many conventions suffer from no GW. I have been to a lot of pure historical conventions and they are shrinking. Adepticon is growing...and IM sure you can figure out what the impetus behind that is. Yes there are games besides GW, but how large would it be without the GW.

GW prices are high, but because people pay them, and lots of people around the country have a "common" game to play, they can meet, and branch into other systems if they like.

Im not saying GW isnt a bit money hungry......but I dont have the info of what it costs either to produce....sculpt.....ship.....restock....etc. so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

I just dont see the GW execs swirling their brandy, while they smoke their $200 cigars, just laughing at the prices they charge.

I guess before I went online trying to discourage people from supporting GW, I would picture the gaming community with no GW and I think it would be segmented, and might not have a healthy life.
Norbu the Destroyer

Postby tmalave » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:52 pm

A very valid and well written statement. I agree to disagree. GW's prices are a little high at the moment. However, without them we have no tournaments worth attending! (My opinion) The 40k universe is growing every year! It's a great story!
Regarding the hobby itself, well, key word "hobby" remember we don't need GW products to live! There is nothing in a GW store that we need to live, it's not a need (unless you're a crack addict!), so we are adults and some of us have the disposable income to enjoy this great "HOBBY". GW looks at it from this agle, for everyone person that leaves the hobby another is born. Really, think about all of the young men that will grow, go to school, leave the hobby, and once they have a career or a steady income they will comeback! So, long story short, buy want you need, not what you want, unless of course if one has the means! :wink:

Tony Malave
http://chicagokamikazes.blogspot.com//
tmalave

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:23 am

I guess my real beef over the whole situation is the overall effect that GW has had on the wargaming community. As someone who started with historical wargaming, I look at the whole effect GW has had on wargaming as somewhat negative than positive. Because of GW, I've seen many hobby shops close in the Chicagoland area. I've seen a new breed of players who are tournament minded who want even point armies battling over neutral terrain. I've seen players who are encouraged to buy miniatures of a scale and detail which really aren't necessary. Granted, they are beautiful miniatures and because of their detail warrant the higher prices, but when I go to a shop and see half built miniatures and at best primed models in well over 50% of the armies, I start to wonder if people have been fooled into believing something that isn't true, but they don't know any better because they haven't gone outside the GW world.

At some historical conventions I've attended, I've seen absolutely beautifully painted miniatures with scenarios or ideas for games that were really interesting. These ideas for scenarios were such that they would probably never be seen in a GW game. I once had a GW employee tell me that 40k and WFB are beginners' games. That's a little sad in my opinion. I want more out of my gaming. I want a challenge. War is never even. Some of our war heroes from the past are seen as heroes because of the odds they faced and were still victorious. Recreating those situations on the table top and also being victorious is what the true life blood is to wargaming.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:06 pm

"I just dont see the GW execs swirling their brandy, while they smoke their $200 cigars, just laughing at the prices they charge."

Just for your information, the CEO of GW makes 4 million a year. He's wiping his behind with $100 bills.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:50 pm

You know, that's not even remotely true and you're off by an order of magnitude. His salary is disclosed in GW's annual report, along with the other directors and top executives, as is normal for all publicly traded companies. Combined, the directors and key management staff made just over 1 million, which isn't out-of-line for top executives at international companies. This comes directly from "Notes to the Financial Statements, section 5" and the Renumeration Report data on page 17 of the annual statement.

You'll also note that the top executives have the same access to their Profit Sharing that any GW employee is entitled to, and which, according to the financial report, page 17, was capped at 1k/person.

The highest salary reported is just under 400,000, and that's Kirby. That's a nice salary to be sure, but it's considerably less than the 4 million you're claiming.

If you're going to make bones about something like this, at least get your facts straight and cite your sources. The data is out there, it doesn't take long to verify.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:29 pm

You're absolutely correct, instead, of going off hearsay from a year ago, I should have done my research. Afterall, 400k is so much better. Are you freaking kidding me!? Why on earth is he making so much money. This is a HOBBY! Guess what everyone, that is why you pay so much for the miniatures. Prices don't go up because costs go up, it's because big dog needs a new swimming pool!
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:31 pm

To you it is a hobby. To the couple of thousand people working for GW, it is their livelihood. You have, to some extent, a valid question. Why do CEOs of any company make so much more than the average worker at that company?

But that's not GWs fault, and if they want to hire a competent business executive, they have to pay the going market rate. The CEO of GW doesn't view it as a hobby, any more than the CEO of McDonalds thinks of it as just a hamburger.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Postby SmokWawelski » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 pm

...Going back to resin versus metal, I think that there might be one more reason for the switch. I am not sure about you guys, but eBay was a major source for my first two armies. With my Sisters being a metal army, I was able to "rescue" badly painted models and clean them very easily with auto-grade paint stripper in seconds. I never had much luck with Simple Green on plastic or resin models. I think that “finecast” will affect the second-hand miniature market in a major way.
SmokWawelski

Previous

Return to News & Rumors