New Finecast minis

The place to discuss relevant News and Rumors!

New Finecast minis

Postby swampthing » Tue May 31, 2011 11:53 am

Metal's Gone. $18-$20 dollars for a blister of a small mini.
is GW trying to price themselves out of the market, or are they counting on dummies like me who will pay the price.

Not trying to start a "Rip on GW" thread, those are just boring. I just wanted to get opinions. so what you think.
swampthing

Postby Generalissimo_Fred » Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 pm

I think the idea is right, the execution just isn't 100% yet. I picked up the Termie Librarian for my GK's and the detail is impressive. I had no idea there were flames in the back of the top skull. I also had no idea there were little ropes in the eyes to hold it on. I always thought that was flash and tried to cut it off. Not good. The bottom left corner of the book is missing along with the scrolls behind it. I'm not greenstuff the book back - way above my abilities - so I'll paint it up like it just got shot off.

Resin or not I have had to do that with metal models in the past. I think I still have a metal pathfinder whose gun is just not there. Miscasts happen. I hope they improve on it in the future. The problem with such finely detailed models is that even the smallest miscasts get magnified and if it's in the wrong spot it can quickly be above the ability of the modeler to fix.

I like the idea of Finecast and I hope it works out for them.
Generalissimo_Fred

Fine Cast

Postby EmpireForever » Tue May 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Well, Keep in mind, Metal miniatures keep creeping up to manufacture. And eventually you would've seen higher priced GW minis. At some point, $30.00 for single minis in metal would not be sustainable.

I'm not saying GW is trying to price themselves out of the marketplace. Some of the models in the FC range are single models...like the Terminator Librarian...how many of those is somebody going to buy? 2? (per Army.)
The cooler thing is like getting units of 3 minis now, instead of purchasing 3 of the same blister.... like Skaven Jezzails. I think there you are saving money.

The unrelated thing is, these Finecasts came out at the same time as the annual GW price increase.

Time will tell if players & collectors take to Finecast Minis.

(My 2 cents).
EmpireForever

Postby swampthing » Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 pm

Im just wondering how many kids will abandon the hobby because of how expensive its getting. we need fresh blood to keep it alive(kinda like a vampire)
swampthing

Postby RAMSEY » Tue May 31, 2011 4:31 pm

swampthing wrote:Im just wondering how many kids will abandon the hobby because of how expensive its getting.

They won't abandon the hobby. They will just keep kicking and screaming untill mommy and daddy get them what they want.
"YOUR SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY, EVEN IN HELL"
G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
No wait! That doesn't sound right.
RUMRUNNERS Gaming Group
Nephilim Jet Fighter…….. What’s it fighting?.... BALLOONS!
RAMSEY

Postby Brian » Tue May 31, 2011 9:53 pm

I think they had to make the change to completely eliminate metal sooner or later. The cost to produce the finecast stuff will still rise over time but it will rise more slowly than metal simply due to the fact that metal is 10x heavier than resin and the cost to transport and work with the raw materials and finished product won't be tied nearly as much to energy costs. Oh, and they had to melt the metal which isn't as cheap as working with resin.

I just really hope they can solve their technical issues and eliminate ~99% of all miscasts and QA defects. Being in manufacturing myself I can testify that new process startups are almost always a comedy of errors as you struggle to get your (usually) 9 to 14 dollar an hour operators oriented to a new set of procedures on new equipment. This problem is amplified by the fact that (presumably) the manufacturers making these minis have probably been putting in a ton of hours trying to fill GW's initial order. Manufacturers have a tendency to live dangerously and let quality slide a little if it means they won't ship an order short.
Brian

Postby Mad Jack Deacon » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:57 pm

Brian wrote:I just really hope they can solve their technical issues and eliminate ~99% of all miscasts and QA defects.

And here is the advantage to metal. In the event of a miscast, you simply drop the sprue back into the crucible and reuse the material.

Not exactly something you can do with resin. Which concerns me a bit, and makes me ask the following questions:

1. With the ability of resin to hold greater detail, has there been a subsequent increase in quality assurance (QA)? I'd assume so, but you know what they say about assuming something.

2. What is the acceptable percentage of miscast/bubble/damaged components per run?

3. How do you account for the components that do not pass QA check? These models represents work that was executed but will not bring in any money. Does the current price reflect this loss?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Mad Jack Deacon.

If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
Mad Jack Deacon

Postby eilif » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:40 pm

swampthing wrote:Im just wondering how many kids will abandon the hobby because of how expensive its getting. we need fresh blood to keep it alive(kinda like a vampire)

This worries me a bit too. There's quite a bit of sticker shock for prosepctive parental buyer.

GW pretty well priced me out of their games a while ago (still buy something to suplement my arimes once in a while), but I do hope that this doesn't hurt GW to badly. Say what you will about them, but GW brings lots of people into the hobby and that benefits wargaming as a whole. I wouldn't be in the hobby today without them.
aka ordinary_bass
eilif

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Look gentlemen, this switch to resin is the deathnell of GW. You will not see any savings from the switch to resin. Those savings were never intended for your benefit. The fact miscasts are not reusable means that GW will not hardly see any savings at all. One could argue that miscasts could be sold for bits, but GW will sell those for regular price instead of discounting the price. Face it gentlemen, GW DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE OR WANT. THEY WILL CONTINUE TO DO WHAT THEY THINK IS RIGHT DOING THINGS THE ENGLISH WAY OF DOING BUSINESS. Do what I did, sell your 40k and fantasy and discover all the other awesome games that are out there that are more fun to play, cheaper, and will not insult your intelligence because they dumbed the rules down so a first grader can play. Seriously guys, get rid of your 28's and find freedom again.
"Why can't you dig how beautiful and righteous it is", Oddball
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby n00bzilla99 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:03 pm

Shaggrudd Dethblasta wrote:Look gentlemen, this switch to resin is the deathnell of GW. You will not see any savings from the switch to resin. Those savings were never intended for your benefit. The fact miscasts are not reusable means that GW will not hardly see any savings at all. One could argue that miscasts could be sold for bits, but GW will sell those for regular price instead of discounting the price. Face it gentlemen, GW DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU LIKE OR WANT. THEY WILL CONTINUE TO DO WHAT THEY THINK IS RIGHT DOING THINGS THE ENGLISH WAY OF DOING BUSINESS. Do what I did, sell your 40k and fantasy and discover all the other awesome games that are out there that are more fun to play, cheaper, and will not insult your intelligence because they dumbed the rules down so a first grader can play. Seriously guys, get rid of your 28's and find freedom again.

This is your opinion. We are (mostly) aware that GW is by far and foremost a business and we continue to give them our business because we enjoy their product (at least somewhat) so I think I'll keep mine because I enjoy the game and the rules.

Also, while I find other games enjoyable, I mostly gravitate to 40k because of the setting and the armies (not the fluff) so there are other reasons we are all in the hobby.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:38 pm

And I understand your position. I am, however, speaking from experience. I've been playing 40k since 1988. I've seen good days with GW and bad ones. I've realized over the years that 40k is a drug an addiction. The stories and fluff will change, the miniatures will change too until you one day wake up with thousands of dollars in miniatures that has no value and a game nobody plays anymore. I have hundreds of ork miniatures you probably don't know even exist. Now I play historicals where a Sherman tank is a Sherman tank no matter what rules I use.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby n00bzilla99 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:23 am

Shaggrudd Dethblasta wrote:The stories and fluff will change, the miniatures will change too until you one day wake up with thousands of dollars in miniatures that has no value and a game nobody plays anymore.

Ebay at that point. Make some of the money back at least if you are dead set on getting out of the hobby.
Check out my band Brotherhood Sidekicks on Soundcloud!

G.R.A.M.P.A. Member
n00bzilla99

Postby Shaggrudd Dethblasta » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:19 am

I'm not saying get out of the hobby unless you mean that GW is the hobby. There's a lot more to the hobby than GW. There's different scales than 28mm. I'm just saying.
Shaggrudd Dethblasta

Postby allen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Well, if GW redone Logan Grimnar, Abaddon, and the Space Marine in terminator armor to match the current scale of the plastic terminators I would've been glad to buy one and paint it up as a showpiece. But after seeing the finecast parts and reading about it, I can't justify spending the money on something that will melt and force you to buy more stuff.

All GW did is used cheaper material and raised the price. :(

So GW needs to justify how for example, when Marneus Calgar and the honor guard first came out in metals they were $45 and now they're $56 with finecast resin. And run the risk of spending time on the models just to have them melt in the heat and break easily if someone accidentally steps on one. Looking at the parts pinning is still needed for resilience. And you will still need to putty in the gaps and bubbles left after the molding.

The posts above describe how GW screws those veteran gamers who been in the hobby for 15 or 20 years or more and get frustrated with how GW dumbed down the rules for the first graders. I remember that when I first started playing 40k they were turning down kids under 12 and the few kids I saw play in 1999 or 2000 had their armies painted to a three color standard and based and improved their painting over time. Now, it's just play with slottabases without end. Sure, GW needs new blood in order to survive, but not at the expense of driving out the veterans.

I never played second edition 40k but I heard from everyone that 2nd edition was the best edition.

So, those are some of the reasons why after 12 years of playing GW games I decided to stop playing their games and try out something else like privateer press games or flames of war.

Unlike GW, privateer press and flames of war are loyal to the gamers. :!:
After a three year hiatus...I'm back.
allen

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:08 am

allen wrote:So, those are some of the reasons why after 12 years of playing GW games I decided to stop playing their games and try out something else like privateer press games or flames of war.

Unlike GW, privateer press and flames of war are loyal to the gamers. :!:

You don't like GW prices, fine. But realize that PP charges as much, if not more, than GW, on a per-figure basis. PP's last round of price increases was more than GWs. PP's plastic releases of their old metals were all higher priced than the corresponding metals too.

I can't speak to Flames of War, and I'm not saying GW is perfect or that what they're doing is right. But saying that PP is any better is denying the facts. They're both companies whose goal is to make a profit. You're deluding yourself if you think PP has any more concern for you than GW does.
"All very successful commanders are prima donnas and must be so treated."

George S. Patton
Redbeard

Next

Return to News & Rumors